Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional transportation planner certification

Registered
    Jan 2006

Professional transportation planner certification

So the PTP certification from ITE has been out for a little while now (about a year I think) and I was wondering how successful the program is turning out to be. I personally have been waiting to take the test to see if it will actually be worthwhile. Has anybody out there taken the test? Has anybody seen any implications of the certification (e.g. a traffic study must be done by a PTP- or is allowed to be done by a PTP)? Will this be a successful attempt from ITE to pull part of the membership away from APA? Any other thoughts on it?

What say you?
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

I'd also be interested in hearing what others have to say about this as I have not heard anything about how successful it has been. While it looks interesting to me, I don't see that it provides me with much benefit in my current job other than getting some cool letters after my name .

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Just wait a bit. APA is working on specialty certifications. We will all have the opportunity to have more and more letters after our names. I would guess $100 per year per letter.

Registered
    Aug 2008

TPP

In the UK we've had a similar approach to professional recognition - the Transport Planning Professional (from the IHT - Institute of Highways and Transportation). It has quite a high demand from professionals working alongside engineers and looking for similar recognition. It has been endorsed by the major consultants/public planning authorities and personally I think it is about time for something like this to come about. The industry has been screaming out for it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

TPP

hi quartz,
    i read about the programme as well. do you know how successful is the programme? and what's the difference between these certified TPP and say traffic engineers?

Registered
    Aug 2008

TPP

I think the major difference is that an institution (IHT) recognises it as a professional award comparable to chartered engineer in terms of level of professionalism - not discipline.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    In terms of study requirements (requiring certain studies by PTP planners), I know that many require a PE stamp, and that likely will not change. The issue with that is if someone does a bad study (they're out there, particularly in rural areas), bringing charges against a PE can potentially ruin their livelihood. Losing a PTP or AICP is bad, but they can't stop you from being able to work in your chosen field. A company I worked for in Florida used to write traffic impact study requirements for local governments for this reason.

I think we're going to see PTP get really big, and for two reasons.

The first reason is that a lot of us AICP planners are looking at the PTP is because AICP shows a broad-based planning certification, and the PTP shows a focus on transportation. Before AICP-CM, this was a great argument to have and maintain both certifications.

The second reason is because of AICP-CM. Many of us in engineer-dominated areas are having problems getting the requisite credits for AICP-CM, and I can see many of us dropping the AICP in favor or PTP, which is easier to get credits for. They've made changes to ease this a little, but only time will tell if it will be enough, and they've really only applied a bandaid to something that really needs a tourniquet (it is still bleeding heavily).

Another thing that is going to help PTP is that they just started electronic testing (what we have been doing with AICP for a few years), so you don't always have to travel to take the test. This will have some impact to the good for PTP.

Either way, it is really too early to tell.

@mike: I hope that part about APA working on specialty certifications was a joke!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=rohneas1;452873]The second reason is because of AICP-CM. Many of us in engineer-dominated areas are having problems getting the requisite credits for AICP-CM, and I can see many of us dropping the AICP in favor or PTP, which is easier to get credits for. They've made changes to ease this a little, but only time will tell if it will be enough, and they've really only applied a bandaid to something that really needs a tourniquet (it is still bleeding heavily).[QUOTE]

Amen brother shout it from the rooftops. Can't get bosses to okay training for site plane review if you're a transportation planner. Can you imagine bosses wanting you to be trained in stuff that is related to what you do??? APA Can't. Bosses want you in ITE, TRB, NHI or NTI training, None of these support the AICP-CM system.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Do you have to swear an oath of allegiance on the ITE Trip Generation Manual?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I can't bear the thought of taking another exam. I work mostly as a transportation planner now, but am skeptical that the ITE test will catch on. Has anyone seen it after someone's name? I'm AICP and LEED AP and think I'll end it there.

Registered
    Dec 2008

PTP Exam Study Material?

Are there anyone have taken the past PTP exam? The reference list on ITE's website for the exam is overwhelming (http://www.tpcb.org/ptp/reference.asp). I donít know how other people prepare for it. ITEís online refresh workshop is quite expensive (http://www.ite.org/education/webinars_PTP08.asp#Suite ). Are those workshops worth the money?

There is another old post here discussing whether PTP is useful (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28225 ). We also hear APA will come up something similar for transportation planners. So why not wait? Well, for me, certificate always helps. It will be handy when you need it. Under the current economy situation, you never know when you are going to need it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

PTP exam results

do you guys know how long it would take to get the PTP exam results. Thanks a lot!

Registered
    Dec 2009

PTP preparation

I'm giving serious consideration to taking the PTP, but I fear that with it so new there is little out there except the very expensive ($900) ITE prep course for 9 hours of webinar. With little else to guide the preparation, does this involve reading, and remembering, several thousand pages of ITE books on their list? Its a very long (and expensive) list: http://www.tpcb.org/ptp/reference.asp

Anyone heard of any other exam preparation tools?

I have to agree with an earlier post there are benefits to getting in on the ground floor of this program.

For somebody interested in transportation planning....do I need the PTP or AICP or both and what are the requirements?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=DetroitPlanner;452950]
    Quote Originally posted by rohneas1 View post

Bosses want you in ITE, TRB, NHI or NTI training, None of these support the AICP-CM system.

AICP-CM credits seem to be available for TRB meeting. TRB website says AICP-CM credits will be offered starting 2010 Annual Meeting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Jun 2009, 9:01 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 12:08 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 3:40 PM
  4. Professional certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Mar 2006, 12:50 PM