Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving - 2006

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Thanksgiving - 2006

I'm surprised this thread wasn't started earlier. Sheesh.
    What ya'll doing?

Me? My flight to California leaves at 6:00 am tomorrow. Holiday weekend in NOCAL with the family. My oldest brother won't be there and I never heard back from my youngest son. Returning on Sunday. Short, but better than not seeing them.

And your plans?

I hope ya'll have a wonderful weekend.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My mom, son and I are spending turkey day with my brother and his family about 30 min from here. Unfortunately, his inlaws will also be in attendance.... They're a$$holes.

Hopefully we won't have to stay long, and I can come home and start prep for X-mas decorating!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Since we have the biggest house, we get to host. Just got the head count; 23. Piece of cake, our biggest was over 40.
    (Edit: 24; g-ma's coming )
    Last edited by noottamevas; 21 Nov 2006 at 9:50 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    T-Day at my sisters in the burbs, then I'm in a bowling tournament that starts Friday morning.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    We were suppose to have it here. I don't know now. Turkeys been thawing since Sunday.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I work until noon, then pick my daughter up from daycare and head north. I so need to get the hell out of town for a few days. I can't wait to see my family!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We are having our first in our new house. We are not going to do the turkey thing as we love ham, but I am going to have all of the other things! Unfortunately, we won't see any family. I will get to see PG over the weekend though.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No meal planned, not travelling anywhere.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Happy Thanksgiving

We are headed to MA to eat with the inlaws with 4 little ones in tow.....ahhhh!
    I'm making pineapple stuffing and the big guy is making some kind of pecan maple bars to bring. Following up with a weekend of romance in the Beautiful White Mountains, too bad there won't be any snow for skiing, to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary (with NO little ones)!

Hope you all enjoy yourselves with a happy and safe holiday, and lots of tryptophan

Registered
    May 2004
    First time that my wife and I will celebrate thankgiving alone without any of our respective families. We will probably have a fire and drink lots of red wine.

I am also going to try to brine and cook a turkey for the first time. Could be interesting. Then I will hit up the slopes the day after to work out all those calories

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Me? Likely the normal routine, some time at a local family member's house and then to a local sports bar for their turkey wing special and the late NFL game.

Mike

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Da Region with my family for bird day, x-mas in Mississippi with hers.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We were mean this year and told g-ma that we will NOT be driving the I95 hell on T-day to see her. Its just not gonna happen to spend 8+ hours in the car to visit for 1 hour. We will see her Friday so we will only spend 4-5 hours in the car and a much nicer visit.

T-night we go have dinner at his brother's wife's family, they are from the Philippines and well they serve stuff they eat and stuff for "the tall white people"

Sat I hop the Acela up to Philly to see TN and do some shopping down on South Street for the day

Sunday SLEEP
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Going up to my future in-law’s house tomorrow for dinner and to hang out. The fiancée has to work tomorrow night, so she is heading back to Grand Rapids, but we are taking separate cars so I don’t have to leave right away. (I get along great with her parents)

Bigger question, who’s going out to the bar tonight!!!!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I'm going to Saginaw Spirits hockey game and then going out to the bar!

Registered
    Apr 2006

I will be at the airport bar tonight waiting for my flight. I am heading to Winston Salem, NC. I have not been there in 8 years and thought I would never go back. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my parents and i are having dinner at a local inn. then we are driving to my sister's house to celebrate my nephew's 2nd birthday.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Heading to my X's house to hang with my kids. The X will pick up the kids and go to her parents. I'm going over to a bud's parents house since, "no one should be alone on Thanksgiving". My X gets married on Friday and I pick my kids and my brother's 3 up at 10:00 p.m. from the reception. Saturday morning, I'm cooking a big breakfast for all the kids (6 in all) and heading with my 3 home. Once home we will commence to break out the Christmas decorations. Sunday evening I'll be delivering them to their mother and newly crowned step-father.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm heading to my sister's tomorrow in the suburbs. She is due to give birth any day now, so there could be a little Thanksgiving drama. They still want everyone to come to their house though.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Going to my wife's cousin's house out in the suburbs. Should be a nice time.

Then on Friday I am planning to do Chicago Critical Mass. It will interesting to see the turnout.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Making the long trip from my bedroom to my kitchen. Invited the 'rents over and our siblings.

Should be fun.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Celebrating my oldest b-day for a few hours this evening, hitting the bars after that, coming home (at some point) and sticking the turkey in the oven for the family. Ma and pa and brother (in from Pheonix ), aunts, uncle or two, and a few kids will all be at the house. House is cleaned, table is about set, turkey is thawing...I just knew PLANNING would come in handy...now all I have to do is wake up and stick the turkey in the oven and nurse my hangover on the couch with football and egg nog whiskey

Registered
    Feb 2000
    The local pub owner told me that the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is one of the biggest days of the year.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    We are having t-day in our 1/2 constructed new dining room...should be interesting.. as we only have windows and sheathing and it is going to be in the 40's!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hosting Turkey day at our place. Dinking around the rest of the weekend - I plan to do as little as possible, although I suspect the missus has other designs on how she intends to allocate my time.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 8:43 AM
  2. Thanksgiving 2012
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 26 Nov 2012, 1:13 PM
  3. Happy Thanksgiving.