+ Reply to thread

Thread: USA TODAY article - Slow City Movement

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

USA TODAY article - Slow City Movement

Sam's Law Warning.

HEADLINE: Va. town on Slow City pace before movement began
    Ideology nurtured in Europe urges communities left behind by globalization to keep themselves small and use their strengths to sustain their economies

HIGHLIGHT:
    The idea applies in particular to cities bypassed by globalization. Rather than rely on age-old ways to spur the economy — more development and tax breaks for businesses that create jobs — towns are encouraged to stay small and play on their cultural and environmental strengths. Try to create a sustainable community that contributes to social equity and protects the environment. Nurture local arts and history and the purveyors of locally grown foods. Appeal to a harried society's need to slow down and smell the roses rather than car exhaust.

Slow City is an offshoot of the Slow Food movement that flourished when McDonald's moved to one of Rome's historic piazzas in 1989. It pushed people to counter fast food by rediscovering the flavors of regional cooking and the joys of leisurely meals.

Città Lente started when mayors of four small Italian towns — Greve-in-Chianti, Bra, Orvieto and Positano — drafted a charter that contains 55 pledges, including closing some streets to traffic and banning supermarket chains and neon signs. Cities of fewer than 50,000 people can join. Almost 80 cities in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, England, Norway, Brazil, Japan, Greece and Croatia have become members.

None is in the USA.
    From Urban Dictionary - citta slow
    Walmart and MacDonalds hate the Citta Slow movement and hope it will never see the day of light in America.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that it is fascinating and would be welcomed by the residents of many small towns.

My only concern is the ability to adequately create and enforce regulations to prevent these types of developments from occurring?
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 1:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Nov 2011, 3:28 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Nov 2011, 1:59 PM
  4. Garden city movement
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 2:02 PM