Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New York City or Chicago?

Registered
    Jul 2006

New York City or Chicago?

If money wasn't an issue, which city would you live in: NYC or Chicago? Why would you live in this city? What makes it the most appealing?

Registered
    May 2005
    New York City for sure. I love Chicago, but NYC has it all! The city speaks for itself and you can do and find any thing in NYC all in a minute! It may be (and I think it is) the most important city in the World. Skyline, diversity, culture, architecture, finance, arts, history, population density, dining, night life and so on.

I believe that all cities have some thing to offer and Chicago by far is no exception, but when it comes down to it NYC is on top of the world.

Bill

Registered
    Jul 2006

New York City

I've never lived in NYC but I have lived in Chicago and I prefer NYC because from my visits there, it appears to be much more diverse, more international events occur there including conferences, it is not the mid-west, and winter is milder.

I also find that NY has a super arts scene - visual and performing, with loads of small indie theatre companies around. I like the city-scape more, NY has a diverse history as well, with related museums to match. If I get admitted for a MCRP programme in NYC then I will go there because it's a fantastic city to use as a lab.

And I'm fascinated by it's growth from a settlement to a city with an incessant pulse!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm for Chicago.

Chicago is a better scale of urban environment, it's in the Great Lakes region (not that there is anything wrong with the East Coast), and the cost of living is less, for comparable major cities/metros.

A major factor is Lake Michigan. I love the Great Lakes and having a major city on one of the lakes is huge. Plus, there area as many varied and interesting festivals/conferences to keep one going all year round.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've lived in Chicago and would pick NYC on the basis of few visits.

I prefer the international city vibe over the mid-west vibe.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    NYC. for many of the reasons stated above but also for NYC's proximity to other big cities - DC, Boston, Philly.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    Apples and oranges. Chicago is a wonderful city, but come on-- it falls incredibly short of the New York experience. There is nothing like New York.
    ST. LOUIS: The City is Back. Back the City.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I'm for Chicago.

Chicago is a better scale of urban environment, it's in the Great Lakes region (not that there is anything wrong with the East Coast), and the cost of living is less, for comparable major cities/metros.

A major factor is Lake Michigan. I love the Great Lakes and having a major city on one of the lakes is huge. Plus, there area as many varied and interesting festivals/conferences to keep one going all year round.
    I'm for New York.

New York has more scale and texture than Chicago -- people tend to ignore Staten iIsland, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx and concentrate exclusively on Manhattan. Even there, though, you can find multiple layers from dense high-rise development, to three-story brownstones lined up row upon row. If you can't find an urban scale that suits you in New York, you simply won't ever find it.

I don't know why people forget or ignore that New York is a harbor city, indeed it's raison d'etre. You have immediate access to the Hudson River, the East River and the Atlantic Ocean to name just a few. While Chicago has it's Gold Coast, it's mere alchemy compared to the Hamptons.

I mean no slight to Chicago, y'all have borne the Cubs burden for so long, but it isn't "the Second City" for no reason.

'Dunker, buying roasted chestnuts from a street vendor at the corner of 34th and Broadway.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Like Gedunker
    I'm for New York.
    Parks -
    Central Park by Olmsted & Vaux
    Prospect Park, Brooklyn by Olmsted & Vaux
    Riverside Park, Manhattan by Olmsted

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like the Chicago region better than NYC as a whole because I think it is better connected and greener. NYC is so congested and is more of a nightmare for commuters.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I like the Chicago region better than NYC as a whole because I think it is better connected and greener. NYC is so congested and is more of a nightmare for commuters.
    So don't commute!
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    NYC is so congested and is more of a nightmare for commuters.
    Well, the commutes here aren't exactly a picnic in the park either.

Gedunker...I see your point. The times I spent in NYC were just in Manhattan and in the Stamford/New Haven, CT area. I really wanted to get to Brooklyn and Queens to see the "smaller" scale NYC (probably more comparable to Chicago).

But the cost of living is too much compared to Chicago and I love the Great Lakes region, so my choice is pretty obvious.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    NYC. I think someone pointed out the winters are milder than Chicago's. I haven't been to Chicago in 11 years, but I miss the hot dogs, the beach and Harold's Chicken.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I love both cities and no doubt about it, NYC has an unparalled energy and vibe that can't be matched. I'd love to live there for a year, but I don't think I could live there longer than that. I'm a city girl, but I could see how NYC would wear me out after a while. Chicago is more livable to me - I can see myself living there for a long time, raising children there, etc. It still has everything a big city should have: energy, diversity, parks, recreation, shopping, culture, history, rats, etc. Though I dont think Chicago has alligators in the sewers, so that's a negative. But in all, maybe because it is small and doesnt have as much energy as NYC, I would prefer to live in the Windy City.
    urbanchik

Registered
    Dec 2001
    NYC because its an easy train ride home, and isnt as cold.

That being said, I was in NYC this past weekend, and regardless of how many times I come up that escalator from Penn Station onto 7th Avenue, I cant help but stare in amazement at how small you feel.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Like everyone else... NYC. I do think Chicago is a great city, but I did not like the landscape around it- sprawl and farm land. True, NYC is surrounded by loads of sprawl and traffic, but there are also more trees, historic buildings, and better topography. Access to the ocean, Eastern Mountains, Boston, and DC are pluses.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    Like everyone else... NYC. I do think Chicago is a great city, but I did not like the landscape around it- sprawl and farm land. True, NYC is surrounded by loads of sprawl and traffic, but there are also more trees, historic buildings, and better topography. Access to the ocean, Eastern Mountains, Boston, and DC are pluses.
    Yup, even as a Chicagoan I'd have to go with NYC. I love Chicago and everything it has to offer -- affordability for a large city, a solid and diverse economy, wonderful restaurants, an unparalleled urban lakefront beach system, shopping galore, eclectic neighborhoods, beautiful architecture, and an urban scale that is actually tolerable. However, what we have, NYC does better, except the affordability, lakefront and the livable urban scale (taking into account Manhattan only).

But what really sets NYC apart to me is 1) its incredibly easy access to other large cities, from Boston to DC, and 2) its access to beautiful natural landscapes like New England and the Appalachians. We have nice getaway locations here throughout the Great Lakes, especially in Wisconsin and Michigan, but NYC's seem to be a little closer to the city.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock View post
    However, what we have, NYC does better, except the affordability, lakefront and the livable urban scale (taking into account Manhattan only).
    Why would one only take Manhattan into account? That would be like only looking at The Loop when considering Chicago.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    NYC is getting way too crowded and is not going to be able to handle all the new residents. Commute times suck, quality of life is getting worse, and the gap is getting bigger.

Chicago: grew up there and lived in many areas, I would never go back. But I have seen the changes in the past ten years and that is the place I would be in the future if I had to choose between the 2.

NYC Hype gets old after a few years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    When I moved to NYC over 5 years ago, I thought it would be short-term, and that I'd get worn out by the busy-ness. But it turns out that I'm the kind of person who thrives on the jump of the streets. I walk fast, talk fast, and think fast: NYC is for me.

That said, I do live in Queens, where it is fairly affordable (less than $1200 per month to own a 1BR, good salary). Big factor in affordability: I don't need a car. I spend $76 on a metrocard each month, and maybe $20 on taxis. How does that add up against gas, insurance, repairs, car payment? Plus, I really can walk everywhere, even home despot !

Really, it comes down to diversity, the lively street, and community. It would be tough to be really alone here. However, it is also easy to meet people.

I've only been to Chicago once, so I can't really compare. I had a lovely time, got drunk in a good bar, had a tasty brunch at a hip cafe. . . but, Jeez, I wouldn't ever move to a place with worse weather than NYC. Muggier summers, windier winters . . . no way, man!

As my family and my husband's family are on the left coast, we may eventually leave NYC (kids, ageing parents), but I'll miss New York when we do.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I love Chicago's architecture and shoreline. It's rare to have a huge metropolis so close (walking distance) to a beach. I also like the midwest, great lakes feel.

However, New York just feels more comfortable to me. There are many different people mingling in such a close area doing many different things, and I like that. It just has so much to offer in everything, from food to art to shopping (not that I only look at the shopping a city has to offer ). Plus the transit network in the northeast is incredible, by American standards.

I don't know where that puts me, I would live in Chicago before New York, but I prefer New York.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Why would one only take Manhattan into account? That would be like only looking at The Loop when considering Chicago.
    I wasn't trying to compare Manhattan to the entire city of Chicago; just trying to say that Chicago has no equivalent, in terms of density, to Manhattan. We come semi-close to it on the north lakefront, but that's it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I love Chicago, but it's NYC all the way, mostly due to: transit, transit, transit; more walkable; awesome bridges: Brooklyn B, Williamsburg Br; NYC's Little Italy and Chinatown beats Chicago's ones EASILY..., NYC is not as FLAT as Chicago!!! NYC's suburbs such as Hoboken, Jersey City, etc are still interesting, compact and walkable (and they have better transit options than Chicago's suburbs)... and so on.. And. lastly, I've lived in both cities and it was much harder to live car-free in Chicago than in NYC, so I must vote for NYC> PS... Freakin' Coney Island is in nyc - c'mon!!!

and we all have heard the saying that 'everyone wants to live in nyc...' (and those who can afford it, do so...)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New York City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Mar 2013, 12:02 PM
  2. Hello from New York City
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 10:57 PM
  3. Back from New York City !
    Friday Afternoon Club