Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blizzards, Lake Effect Snow Storms, and other wonderful winter weather.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Blizzards, Lake Effect Snow Storms, and other wonderful winter weather.

In some places of the continent, the snows have started and happiness has begun, here in West Michigan, it is in the mid 50’s still. But it won’t be two much longer and these will be the views for many of us in the Northern States and the great country of Canada.

Are you a fan of winter storms or do you hate them? What do you do during blizzards, lake effect storms, or other significant snowfall?

What about driving, it is a fun adventure or a treacherous doomed journey?
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I love big snowstorms (esp. if I'm already home). The day after a big storm is the best - fresh snow, usually sunny and time to go sledding.

I was really disappointed this past weekend because I was ready for cold weather and it was jsut too warm for the end of November. It was nice, but it is time for the change of season. I don't like this autumn limbo.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    We have our first big storm rolling in right now. 6-12 inches expected in the valleys, not including potential lake effect, with 2-3 feet in the mountians!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest one in recent memory was 2 years ago, where it snowed 36 inches in 12 hours between christmas night and the net day. We ended up with about 4 feet at my house by the time the series of storms was over that week (and of course no power for 6 days)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hate cold weather.
    I hate snow.
    I hate driving on snow and ice.
    'Nuf. said.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Uhhhh... my place already looks like that photo, and has looked like that since October.

We have about 2.5 to 3 feet on the ground right now.

I don't mind snow, but I hate the cold (especially with wind). With the windchill, it's going to be -40 tonight.

Article from Edmonton Jounral: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-5a761bbf87c8

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What is this "snow" of which you speak?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    There's a reason I live in Texas - only rare bad winters, and very little snow.

We're expecting our first arctic blast later this week. Not predicting snow, but they are saying sleet and freezing rain. Not something I'm looking forward to. High on Friday predicted to be in the low 40's, with a hard freeze overnight. Wheee!!

I've spent a couple of winters in cold places. The snow is pretty, but the wind gets me even in a parka.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I grew up in Syracuse, NY which is snow country - yes, lake effect - so I only like winter if it has snow - nothing more depressing than an "open winter"

as they say in Vermont, open winter means open graves - rather it's unhealthy to have a winter without snow in the north, people get more sick and more people die - kinda gruesome, but true -

no snow yet in Maine, at least not on my sunny island - I drove through some on my way to Syracuse a week ago Sunday in the Herkimer area - it's like a curtain of it when you drive on the thruway - right at the county line

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Ah, winter. It finally struck with ruthless efficiency the day after Thanksgiving and hasn't let up. I find winter and winter weather challenging - driving the icy streets, shoveling the walk and driveway, negociating the slippery walkways. etc. Builds character and helps you appreciate the warmer weather.

My wife hates the winter and ruins my buzz. Winter is five months of listening to her bitch about how cold it is. "Aren't you cold?" she asks me most every night. I am wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts. No I am not cold. She constantly asks me what temperature it is. I don't know. I don't care. If it is cool I put on my over coat. If it is cold, I put on my parka and gloves. She should have married a guy from Florida.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Love winter. No lake effect snows here, and the mountains take much of the storms from the west (I live in a rain shadow).

But we do get the occasional Upslope storm where the snow comes from the east and backs up against the mountains giving the low lands a good dumping.

But those are rare.
    Not much snow up here north of Denver, just brown and windy here on the high plains.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it is 61 today. this is entirely too warm for the 27th of November. lately the weather has been more spring-like than fall-like.

i love a good winter storm as long as the power stays on. for me at least, there is nothing better than being snowed in with the family and the pets.

i suscribe to the school of thought that every christmas should be a white christmas - (my fave seasonal movie, btw). and lately they've been more brown and rainy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    When I see pictures of a car covered in snow; all I can think about is how long its going to take to clear it off. Snow is too much fruitless work. I am all for 60 degrees in November. Its the one positive of global warming.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Winter is a great season - with the notable exception of vehicle related issues (salted streets rusting your car, shovelling driveway, slippery dangerous roads, etc.)
    As long as I'm home snowstorms are a great thing!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    So long as there's snow on the ground, I like winter. Makes life more interesting visually. Brown winter, while good for keeping me on the bike, just isn't healthy for the rest of us.

And I love driving in wintery slippery conditions! So long as I'm the only guy on the road. Its the other fools I don't trust.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Winter is a great season - with the notable exception of vehicle related issues (salted streets rusting your car, shovelling driveway, slippery dangerous roads, etc.)
    As long as I'm home snowstorms are a great thing!
    I spent 3 years in a small New England town and loved hiking around in snowstorms. Except for the year I had an apartment (instead of being in a dorm) and we had a huge blizzard and I couldn't drive anywhere. I was still too scared, after growing up in FL and having little experience driving in snow.

Anyway, the college/town were one of those picture-postcard places when it snowed. Too bad the whole downtown burned to the ground a few years later...

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Like Zman I also live in the snow/rain shadow of the Rocky Mountains but I just bought a new pair of back-county skis, bindings and boots on Sunday in anticipation of a snowy winter in the higher elevations to the west. I hope to use them a time or two before taking off for sunny Florida over the Chrismas holidays to walk the beaches of the Gulf . Let the snow storms begin!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe View post
    I just bought a new pair of back-county skis, bindings and boots on Sunday in anticipation of a snowy winter in the higher elevations to the west.
    Very nice. What did you get?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Wrong End Of The Lake

This Bear agrees with otterpop.....winter does build character and does help us appreciate the warmer weather.

Here in NW Ohio we don't get much in the way of lake effect snow. We are on the wrong end of Lake Erie. The lake efffect machine in western Michigan dumps a lot of snow for about 100 miles inland. My neck of the woods is much farther from Lake Michigan, so no lake effect from that lake, either.

Toledo's record snow is only about 70 inches and a normal year only gives us about 35 inches.

OTHO.....we are usually the coldest spot in Ohio, when you count the days that Toledo is colder than any other place in Ohio. We do not hold the low temp record for the state, though. I think that is in Cincinnati (believe it or not).

I have been through some great blizzards (here in NW Ohio and up north) and I had the pleasure of taking a middle-of-the-night stroll in Paradise MI (in the Upper Peninsula) when the temperature was an actual 39F-below.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2003

Snow is great

I get caught in the Lake Huron Lake effect more than Lake Michigan's. Snow is great. Driving without other cars to endanger you is great, all wheel drive makes it a snap. But, driving in bumper to bumper blizzard traffic sucks. Then you have to shovel. Nothin better than being out in the blizzard and after, it is peaceful and beautiful. Then the snow throwers break the silence.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm freezing my arse off, literally! I just did my sixth big snow shovelling job of the season. That's a lot for Edmonton. It's about -24C/-11F right now, with a wind-chill of -35C/-31F, and I cleared about 8 inches of snow from the driveway and sidewalk. The pile next to the driveway is about three feet tall on both sides of the drive, but there's probably only 18" to 24" in the rest of the yard. I was only out there about 45 minutes, and I looked pretty funny when I came in. My hair's all frosted from my breath freezing, and even my eyebrows were white. I've found in this weather, breathing through my nose is too weird, because of the freezing nosehairs. But the mouth-breathing when exercising makes my hair all white. Ahhhh... the joys of living in the North.

I must say that I do like the sound during this kind of weather. Noises that you are used to hearing, like train whistles or car horns, sound really different. Depending on where you are, the snow muffles some sounds, but in other areas like in downtown where streets are plowed and there are lots of buildings, the sound carries in the cold air and reverberates all over. So I do try to appreciate the differences of winter... even though it feels like someone shot novocaine in my bum right now from the cold temperatures.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We get slightly more snow than Toledo does. Its not a big deal for those on the West side of Great Lakes, unless you get a nor-easterner.

We do occasionally get dumped on. It means the bus takes a little longer to get to work. Driving on those days is crazy!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Being one of a few native Yoopers in here, I have seen my share of winter weather. It is nice when I pull into some place for lunch and come out to find 4 to 5 inches of new snow on my car, or having to shovel out my car at the ski hill because we got so much snow in a morning that I could not get out to go to lunch.

I enjoy driving in a good storm, something about it reminds me of rock climbing or extreme skiing in that it is a classical conflict of Man vs Nature... in that as long as your careful and not stupid, you will be all right.

Overall though... watching old back and white Christmas movies is my 3rd favorite thing to do in a snow storm.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 28 Nov 2006 at 11:07 AM.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Aug 2001

get me to a shrink!:D

bring on some of that arctic bitter crunchy air! Cannot believe it, Nerudite you folks have snow pack like that already!!!!!!? a lil extreme, though i *think* I would like to move to a northern town some year, maybe even the UP. Or the BVI. Its a toss up.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    bring on some of that arctic bitter crunchy air! Cannot believe it, Nerudite you folks have snow pack like that already!!!!!!? a lil extreme, though i *think* I would like to move to a northern town some year, maybe even the UP. Or the BVI. Its a toss up.
    Off-topic:
    I suggest Marquette. It is Ann Arbor on a smaller scale!

Registered
    May 2004
    I like winter. Bring it on

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Winter Weather Preparation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 9:12 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Dec 2004, 4:20 PM