Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planners toys: GPS

Registered
    Mar 2004

Planners toys: GPS

I just bought a Handheld GPS unit and have been having fun learning how to use it and just what it can do. I can't wait to do fun stuff like walk my Cabin's property lines and calculate acreage, or go off on Two tracks and not worry about getting totally turned around on back country roads.

I can see this as turning into hours of fun, maybe I'll let Bear borrow it so he can survey the boundaries of all the cities in DeNoc (much to his wife, Katie's displeasure!).

I feel I am just scratching the surface of fun things to do with this. I figure I can't be the only one on this board with one, therefore I would like to know what fun things others have found to do with this technology.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Geocaching

I have one, but don't use it as much as I thought I would. Mainly because I've been to busy to.

Have you ever heard of geocaching?

Official Site

Its pretty popular around here.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have had a Garmin GPSIII Plus mounted on the dashboard of my car for about 4-5 years now. It is indispensible on roadtrips and even when driving around in unfamiliar new subdivisions.

Well worth it!

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've heard of geocaching, but it almost seems like a whole different sub-culture has developed around it. I went to a website about it, and found its vernacular, being a novie, to be a bit confusing. I'd like to try it, but don't have much of a reference to start from.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    I have one, but don't use it as much as I thought I would. Mainly because I've been to busy to.

Have you ever heard of geocaching?

Official Site

Its pretty popular around here.
    Wow, does that sound fun! I did a search of my zip code and found tons of them. I don't even have a GPS, but want to play!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can also see this being a great activity to do with kids to get them thinking about geography and critical thinking.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I can also see this being a great activity to do with kids to get them thinking about geography and critical thinking.
    I have a hand held Garmin that the kids love to look at when we go on walks and stuff.

At work, we take our real GPS unit (trimble ) out to the local schools and teach them about geography and how it relates. They use it to make a map of their school grounds. It is a ton of fun to work with 5th graders on stuff like this.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Toys for kids…
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 1:04 PM
  2. grade school toys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 1:58 PM
  3. Bouncing Balls and other simple toys
    Friday Afternoon Club