Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where's the good news?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Where's the good news?

In this time of year, it's easy for me and collegues to get depressed with the NorthEast weather... It seems like wherever I go, I'm accosted by these ugly sprawl homes eating up farmland! A friend of mine went for a hike over the weekend to an overlook and said all she could see when she looked down over the landscape was manufactured homes. <Thankfully, when I went there a few weeks ago, I was more impressed by the remaining farm fields>
    Sometimes this work seems like an exercise in futility!
    So, I'm looking for people to contribute their pieces of GOOD news!
    What have you seen recently that has made you think we are heading in a positive direction? Please share your happy stories!

Good News In Ellensburg Washington

CWU Alpha Kappa Psi chapter takes on Downtown Revitalization
    as community service project

Central Washington University’s business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, has joined forces with the Ellensburg Downtown Association. AKPsi will help with efforts to propagate the website savedowntown.org, in order to raise funds to support the efforts of the EDA to revitalize Ellensburg’s Downtown using the Main Street approach. Evan Masters, the student President of the Fraternity, has said, “I am very excited about working with the Ellensburg Downtown Association. I personally love downtown Ellensburg and I think that a partnership between the AKPsi and the EDA is only natural. Hopefully, our relationship will grow to a regional or even national level between the two organizations.”

Ellensburg based Internet Service Provider Kvalley computers & Internet and Central Washington University student, Nicole Evans, worked with the Ellensburg Downtown Association in order to develop this innovative effort to raise funds to help revitalize this small central Washington community’s downtown.

Together they launched the website savedowntown.org, on November 1st. “This is just a great example of how communities can use the internet as a tool and tap into an online community that is much larger than the geographic boundaries of our own city,” according to Chris Schmidt owner of Kvalley computers & Internet who is also a EDA Board member. “Communities use the internet everyday to market themselves, so why not use the same technology to build support for the revitalization of our downtown.”

The site is intended to serve as a fundraising site for the EDA, a local 501C-3 nonprofit organization whose goal is to revitalize Downtown using the Main Street four point approach.

Nicole Evans, a senior at CWU, is currently a Recreation & Tourism Management Major and has some background in marketing through her college coursework, is helping with marketing the site. “This seemed like a unique challenge, to use the internet and other non traditional marketing efforts- to help revitalize a community.”

The site will offer individuals the opportunity to make a donation of as little as $10 to the EDA. In return, those who make a contribution can list their name, home town and business link on the website. Others can then search the site to see who is listed. “It’s a great win win for everyone,” according to Schmidt. “The EDA gets to reach out to a larger group of people who may support our efforts even if they no longer live in Ellensburg, and for as little as $10 they can have a link to their own business or individual website. Eventually, the site could not only help revitalize downtown but also become an online community for former and current residents.”

For more information contact Alpha Kappa Psi at masterse@cwu.edu or Nicole Evans CWU Tourism Management Major evansni@cwu.edu or log onto savedowntown.org

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    The movie Happy Feet is in theaters!
    Quote Originally posted by Timothy Bishop, CMSM View post
    CWU Alpha Kappa Psi chapter takes on Downtown Revitalization
    as community service project
    Sounds like a good project but since when is "Community Service" fun?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 28 Nov 2006 at 1:52 PM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    One bit of good news is that the concept of sustainability is getting more and more press. I also think that this is one area of the development world where planners have hit the nail on the head by demonstrating how it can benefit the developers. I look at what Portland has done with their Green Streets program and it brings me hope. If we can take the enthusiasm that this concept has generated amongst planners and translate it to more localities, I think we can change the development impacts in a very positive way.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    More Good News!
    Last week 19 miles of new light rail opened along Denver's I-25 corridor. This transit system will help promote more TOD and higher density development along its route with access to Denver's downtown and other major employment centers. Also last week the developer was named for the redevelopment of Denver's historic Union Pacific Depot. This facility will eventually be turned into the regional hub for light rail, bus, heavy communter rail and Amtrak service. About $2.5 billion in new investment in the depot and surrounding former rail yards is anticipated with this development over the next decade.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Now that's uplifting!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe View post
    More Good News!
    Last week 19 miles of new light rail opened along Denver's I-25 corridor. This transit system will help promote more TOD and higher density development along its route with access to Denver's downtown and other major employment centers. Also last week the developer was named for the redevelopment of Denver's historic Union Pacific Depot. This facility will eventually be turned into the regional hub for light rail, bus, heavy communter rail and Amtrak service. About $2.5 billion in new investment in the depot and surrounding former rail yards is anticipated with this development over the next decade.

I went on a tour of the line a few months back. Denver is certainly taking some excellent steps towards more sustainable transportation. The thing that impressed me the most (besides the overwhelming support from the public) is how quickly the TOD's are starting, with several in the planning phases a year before the line was finihsed. The Cherokee Station one is certainly impressive. And a great location.

Here is a link for mendel: http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail/index.html

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe View post
    More Good News!
    Any linky, linky?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Here is my attempt to link to Denver Post story about Denver's redevelopment of the UP Depot area. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules!

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4659905

Registered
    Mar 2004

Good news for me

I just got home from a night meeting. No one showed up for the public hearing. We went home after a half an hour.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Sister- LOL I love it when that happens!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like my new job. The work I have done so far has been met with good reviews so we are on the same page. I am looking forward to a full paycheck for the first time in 3 months
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like my job. The board and the pc respect me.
    I'm involved in a great personal relationship.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I like my job. The board and the pc respect me.
    I'm involved in a great personal relationship.
    And are your purchasing stock in Delta...you fly it enough!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    Stay away from Delta stock til you figure out if the buyout bid from US Airways will go down.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    No, but I'm racking up them SkyMiles, sweetie.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:06 PM
  3. Good news for men
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 15 Jun 2006, 3:36 PM