Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacancy on the Planning Commission

Registered
    Dec 2001

Vacancy on the Planning Commission

We have had a vacancy on our PC for a while now (the Board not professional staff). This is an appointed position. This guy I know is really interested in it, and he would probably be a great fit for the Board. This guy has no political connections, so his chance of getting appointed in zilch.

How tacky do you think it is/isnt to start pestering elected officials about this?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Could you have him write a letter or interest and you could back it up with a letter of recommendation?
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Jeff: I forget whether or not you are a publuc sector planner or a provate one? If public, I think it is wholly inappropriate. I suggest your friend write a letter, attache resume etc.. to the elected chairman.

If you are private and have some relationship with the board or pc, why not drop a hint by saying
    i have this friend........ etc...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I was once on a board for a town that I lived in and was chosen by staff, who then brought my info to the board. Since I didn't have the political connections, but the professional experience, staff championed me to be on the board. I would bring it up that staff has had the opportunity to review the following applications and picked the best three for the opening. Present the recommendations then maybe your friend would be chosen.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    We have had a vacancy on our PC for a while now (the Board not professional staff). This is an appointed position. This guy I know is really interested in it, and he would probably be a great fit for the Board. This guy has no political connections, so his chance of getting appointed in zilch.

How tacky do you think it is/isnt to start pestering elected officials about this?

I would tell him that he needs to contact them himself if he is interested and make himself known. Being politically connected usually just means knowing the people who make the decisions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Challenging Planning Commission?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Oct 2012, 11:02 AM
  2. Planning Commission talkers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 7:34 PM
  3. Does anyone sit on a planning commission?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 May 2006, 12:47 PM
  4. Planning Commission Minutes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Mar 2005, 5:17 PM
  5. Planning commission advice
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Oct 2004, 1:05 PM