Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yoopers vs Trolls Deathmatch

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Moderator note:
    this thread was split off from the 'blizzards and lake effect snow...' thread

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Where is it that you live, again?
    Off-topic:
    I am a Yooper in Troll land! It’s almost as scary as being a Republican in Cyburbia!
    Last edited by Maister; 29 Nov 2006 at 7:27 PM.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Off-topic:
    I am a Yooper in Troll land! It’s almost as scary as being a Republican in Cyburbia!
    I smell a Yooper vs Troll Deathmatch coming on.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I smell a Yooper vs Troll Deathmatch coming on.....
    You’re on! And both are showing up armed!

Holy Wah! In dat dare corner Yah Know, weighing in at a buck sevendy five, holding a turdy-fordy crag, Rueben Soady!

Vs

And Yo, In that corner over there... un huh, comin’ in with his boys, weighing 135 soaking wet, and his 9mm, my man, Mr. Slim Shady!
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Um...by your description, anyone living 'under the bridge' is a Troll, regardless of origin.

Just as I am an FIB because I live in Chicagoland and drive to SW Michigan to vacation.

A pound of vension jerky and a 12 of Leinenkugel and the Yooper would be sufficiently pacified.
    Last edited by mendelman; 29 Nov 2006 at 5:09 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:

Um...by your description, anyone living 'under the bridge' is a Troll, regardless of origin.

Just as I am an FIB because I live in Chicagoland and drive to SW Michigan to vacation.

A pound of vension jerky and a 12 of Leinenkugel and the Yooper would be sufficiently pacified.
    Off-topic:
    Ok in that case here is the definition of Yooper.

Registered
    May 2003
    Ok in that case here is the definition of Yooper.
    I, therefore, concede in the face of this unequivocal reference from an open-source internet encyclopedia about a regionally colloquial enthic/cultural identifier.

Be gentle, sir.

Last edited by mendelman; 29 Nov 2006 at 5:09 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What? No Poll?

It's On Like Donkey Kong

Yoopers are mentally and physically tough individuals (much like John Wayne) who have an uncanny ability to survive in the harshest conditions, yet for some reason are overwhelming liked by the general public! They will sometimes move to Troll Land realizing that their tough as nails work ethic and McGyver like skill allow them to adapt to any position or situation.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yoopers all they do is live off of govt assistance, drive snow mobiles, drink Strohs and Milwaukees Best, take saunas, and sap the resources out of large cities like Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw. Watch out Grand Rapids, you're next!

Off-topic:

FIB's are the ones in WI, FIPs are in SW MI.
    Last edited by Maister; 29 Nov 2006 at 5:44 PM. Reason: double post
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    FIB's are the ones in WI, FIPs are in SW MI.
    Is it bad that I don't know what either of them stand for?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    What? No Poll?

It's On Like Donkey Kong

Yoopers are mentally and physically tough individuals (much like John Wayne) who have an uncanny ability to survive in the harshest conditions, yet for some reason are overwhelming liked by the general public! They will sometimes move to Troll Land realizing that their tough as nails work ethic and McGyver like skill allow them to adapt to any position or situation.
    Don't forget beat the odds by surviving after generations of inbreeding.

Yooper dating motto: If you can't keep it in your pants keep it in the family!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    May 2003
    Michiganders (those not Yoopers) can speak English.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Don't forget beat the odds by surviving after generations of inbreeding.

Yooper dating motto: If you can't keep it in your pants keep it in the family!
    Not true... we just seal all the attractive women from Troll Land because they want a Real Man. We just let those stories exist to distract you while we sleep with your sister.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Not true... we just seal all the attractive women from Troll Land because they want a Real Man. We just let those stories exist to distract you while we sleep with your sister.
    Sister...What sister? I thought the UP was the second best place for Trannies to vacation after Fire Island.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Is it bad that I don't know what either of them stand for?
    FIP = F(Censored) Illinois People
    FIB = F (Censored) Illinois B (Censored)

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Sister...What sister? I thought the UP was the second best place for Trannies to vacation after Fire Island.
    Its true, I hear there are gay bars even in the Keewenaw!
    Last edited by Maister; 29 Nov 2006 at 5:43 PM. Reason: double post
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Funny thing about that Yooper wiki definition....I was looking at that very wiki page not 15 minutes before Mskis posted and there was no 'definition' on that page. Apparently, someone edited the wiki entry between the time I looked and Mskis proudly trotting that out as 'evidence'.

Anyone else smell a rat amongst us?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    Anyone else smell a rat amongst us?
    What? Wikipedia is fallible and could be self-serving.

A sad day for the internets.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mskis, do we have any incriminating video footage of 'Yooperspeak' on file from Stanfest II? I'm sure Bear would appreciate greatly if it could be posted here...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Ya, dis Baer vill jump into da diskussion....butt first, ya know......did da skiman really mean ta say "seal" the vimen? I spitted out da choc you latt pudding all over da screen, ya know.

Yoopertrollbear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Yoopers all they do is live off of govt assistance, drive snow mobiles, drink Strohs and Milwaukees Best, take saunas, and sap the resources out of large cities like Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw. Watch out Grand Rapids, you're next!
    Granted, I had never, EVER heard any of these terms before, but...you say all of that like its a bad thing..

Remotely related, my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Alaska where similar sentiments prevail (mainly between them and the "lower forty eight"). That we had flown in from Texas was not a welcome bit of news. "We were thinking about cutting Alaska in half and making Texas the third largest state" they informed us.

Trying to salvage some credibility, I felt compelled to draw on my Oklahoma roots, only to be informed that "the only thing we like better than a Texan leaving town is a Texan leaving town with an Okie under each arm..."

Sometimes you just gotta sit back and take it...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Becareful
    Acronyms can get you in trouble,
    When I first went to work in SW Michigan, I was at a meeting where the term FIPS was used, I innocently asked what a FIP was, DEAD SILENCE, and grandmotherly grey haired lady changed the subject, later I was told the meaning and was very careful where I used "the word".
    However as a side note, I did enyou celebrating St FIPIANs day,

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Mskis, do we have any incriminating video footage of 'Yooperspeak' on file from Stanfest II? I'm sure Bear would appreciate greatly if it could be posted here...
    Holy Wah, Yah Eh. We’ve got dat dare movie, yah know!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Holy Wah, Yah Eh. We’ve got dat dare movie, yah know!
    Was that yooper or Canadian?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Wow, can't believe I missed that this year!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tech Deathmatch #1
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 14 Aug 2014, 1:57 PM
  2. Replies: 62
    Last post: 31 Aug 2004, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 09 Aug 2004, 5:50 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Mar 2004, 8:29 PM