Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Deliberate Depression

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    May 2003
    Northwestern Ohio

Deliberate Depression

A few weeks ago, I read somebody's post response indicating that they "felt like getting depressed".....or some such thing. This Bear can relate, because there have been a few times in my life that I forced myself to become depressed. I am not even sure I can explain "why?".

Is this unusual? Could it be because I am more of a control freak than I would like to admit and bringing on my own bout of depression leaves me in control? That way I can bring it when I want it and (hopefully) make it go away when I am done?

Is this insane talk?

I think not.

I even have a mind-bank-account of the songs I need to listen to or the movies I need to watch.....to bring on the depression.

Note: I will know the extent of my lunacy by the number of responses.

Bear Listening To "Like A Straw In the Wind"
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break
    I don't know if it's exactly the same thing as causing it, but from time to time I find myself doing something to deliberately wallow in the mood when it's just coming on and know that it's going to totally plunge me into a downer state - like listen to depressing music or page through old photo albums containing painful memories. When I described this phenomenon to someone once before they said 'yeah, that's really cathartic' but I'm not so sure it's altogether healthy if it's done too often. Lots of pathological acts people engage in are often justified/camouflaged with the word 'catharsis' IMO.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, ďWhere are you from?Ē doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Sep 1999
    400 miles from Orlando
    I think sometimes you have a bad thing happen, like a breakup, and think you need to feel more depressed than you really are. Like a guilt thing. So you listen to sad songs, watch mushy chick flicks, etc to bring out the feelings. That's not chronic depression by any means, guess it's just a very temporary depressed state.

Aug 2001
    The Emerald Coast
    Iím no stranger to bouts of depression. I canít say Iíve ever initiated the mood. Iíve probably prolonged it with my reactions. Sort of a sensitive area where weíre going, Bear. My visit to this thread has therefore ended.

This thread and the "new you" thread remind me that I really need to be more thankful that I'm so comfortable in my own skin. Up, down, over, under, left, right, front, back, it's all good.

I'm a lucky man, indeed.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Aug 2001
    South Milwaukee
    I completely relate to this. When I first got separated a good friend gave me a CD by a club DJ - Alice DeeJay actually - and the hit song was titled "Are you Better Off Alone". To this day it is my feel-good noir song. As I listened to the rest of the CD, other tracks had titles like "You Dont Have to be the Lonely One", "No More Lies" and "Got to Get Away".

Dark. Yet Up. Yet Dark.

Jul 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I can't say I have ever forced myself to get depressed. I can say that in my twenties, I spent 2 or 3 years watching tear-jerk movies when I was alone (ie when Mr. Zone was away and the kids were asleep) and wailing like a banshee. There was no intent to "get depressed". It was how I finally mourned some of the tragic events of my childhood. Yes, it was cathartic -- and deeply healing, as all those really bad feelings very much needed to come out. It was after that period that I stopped being depressed and stopped being enraged at the world/life/"god".

On the other hand, I have had the experience of getting up one morning and saying "That's enough of wallowing in self pity. Time to get on with life."

Jul 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I'm no stranger to depression, either. I can't say that I've brought depression on myself, but I do know there are certain triggers (like a sudden increase of interest in particularly dark stories or news events), and if I dwell on the triggers the depressive feelings build on themselves. My trick is to avoid the triggers.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Depression
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 141
    Last post: 21 Jul 2011, 3:05 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 3:03 PM
  3. Thoughts On Depression & Death
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 22 Jun 2006, 10:09 PM