Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: neighborhood residential parking permits near universities

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

neighborhood residential parking permits near universities

I've been tasked with researching the feasibility of establishing a residential parking permit system for some neighborhoods adjacent to a large university. This is an older neighborhood with little opportunity for off-street parking, so many residents rely on on-street parking. However, the neighborhood's proximity to the university makes it a prime location for students & faculty attempting to dodge the cost of an on-campus parking permit. This results in significant difficulties for the residents of these neighborhoods and a fair amount of political pressure on the recently elected folks to do something about it.

Does anyone have some example programs you could point me toward? I'm especially interested in the following:

Who is responsible for implementing the permit system?
    Who is responsible for enforcement of the permit system?
    What revenue is generated as a result of the program, whether its permit fees or fines?
    What was the cost to implement and what impact was there on staff?
    What difficulties, if any, have they had with the program?
    What would they change, if anything, about their program?

Any help is appreciated.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Usually, the municipality is responsible for implementation. It's your streets.

The municipal police. May require the hiring of dedicated parking officers.

What revenue is generated as a result of the program, whether its permit fees or fines?
    Permit fees usually barely cover the administrative costs (staff, mailing reminders, tracking system), but you can make a pretty bundle from collected fines. Where I live they generally range $30-50 per violation.

May require more staff and dedicated vehicles.

For the last two questions (and the above) you should contact Oak Park, IL. Although, their system isn't targeted to college areas, they do have an extensive system of permit on-street and off-street (in municipally owned parking lots). They have had it for many years and could give you some direction.

Now Oak Park's system is extensive and may not be a budget loser because of the relatively high incomes of the population and the economies of scale (cost of system per permit diminshes as number of permits increases).

If this would be your only permit area, or one of very few, then the costs per permit may be high and/or not self-funding.
    Last edited by mendelman; 04 Dec 2006 at 11:52 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    It is typically the City. Salt lake City has a program around th University of Utah.
    Ditto. The city parking enforcement program enforces it.
    I don't think programs like these should be revenue driven. They obviously require money. The cost is much less if you already have a parking enforcement program. if you do, the main costs are producing the permits (typically a sticker or window hanger) and signing the areas as permit parking only. If not, then you need employees to operate the program, vehicles, ticket machines, etc. Fine amounts can be huge if the university is a commuter college.
    See above. It depends on what type of parking enforcement program you already have. If you already have one and all it takes is getting someone to drive through the area, the costs are not much. The signs & permits will be your biggest expense. the expenses grow dramatically if you need a vehicle, employee, etc.
    the biggest one is when residents have guests over. If off street parking is already limited, then guest parkign will be a real issue. You can either limit the hours the permit is required (like 7 a.m to 5 p.m) or provide guest parking passes.
    I think SLC program works pretty well. I don't know who you contact, probably someone in parking enforcement. The city's web page is www.ci.slc.ut.us

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Question clarification:

"Who is responsible for implementing" refers to a city department. For example, what department handles the permitting?

So far I've seen engineering and the city secretary's office as permit handlers. Enforcement has almost universally been the police (parking division if they have one).

I'll check out SLC's program as well. So far I've snagged Lubbock's and Albequerque's.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    parking enforcment in SLC is done through the Transporation department I believe. They handle the permitting, enforcement, etc.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post

We had one where I went to school, West Chester, PA. Glad I didnt have a car, it was very hard to get a parking pass if you were a student, and I think they had more parking ticket writers than actual Police.

Anyway...
    Dont recall who ran it, enforced it, etc.
    I do know that it cost $10 a year for the pass, so not really revenue driven, I still think they shouldnt charge for this.

Basically, the gist of the program was an attempt to keep students from gettina a pass. So, in order to get a pass, the vehicle had to be registered at the address you are applying for, and the vehicle had to be in registrants name. Two things that most college kids cant produce, as teh vehicle is likely registered to a parent, or at a home address, or both.Also needed to produce ID w/ the address, again....most college kids have Drivers License to their home town.

I saw alot of kids over the course of 4 years get hauled off to jail over unpaid tickets. I had a roommate who would probably get 4 a week.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jun 2009, 11:34 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 9:02 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 9:33 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 10:35 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 2:52 PM