Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Shopping

Registered
    Sep 1999

Holiday Shopping

I realized tonight that I am almost done, except for a couple gifts apiece for my mom and kid, and a bunch of stocking stuffers (but those are sooo fun to buy!). How is everyone else doing? Did you hit Black Friday?

Will you be shopping on Cyber Monday?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    How is everyone else doing?
    Did you hit Black Friday?
    Will you be shopping on Cyber Monday?
    S-I-L called last weekend with one request so I went on Tuesday 21st.
    Waiting until I get to CA before I do any more shopping.
    Can you believe AIB RJ am buying bottles of wine as gifts. I should be able to get something good for $20 - 25 in CA.

Not for Christmas but for a phone battery.

Not Me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I hadn't planned on going shopping since I despise the mall especially during the holiday season, but having been invited out with a new friend (see Dating Thread) I went to the mall. It was good because I got to see the things that my daughter would like for Christmas and I bought a coat that I had been wanting for 2 months and it was $40 and the only one left was my size. Also redeemed a $25 coupon at another store and got two sweaters to add to the wardrobe. Then we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Decemberween shopping? sure as hell I won't!

Really I don't know wtf... I'm not even a christian nor is my family so Decemberween is out of my calendar...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I stopped by the mall after work on friday to pick up one of those "friday only" deals. I saw something else that looked good, knew of a couple other things and without even thinking about it, I'm done . That has to be some sort of record. I think I'm breaking some sort of man code by x-mas shopping before Dec. 24

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have most of my husband's shopping done. Just a few more things for him, and a few from the kids. And then I have to figure out something for my mom and a few friends (and a few secret santa gifts). I don't know why, but I'm not too freaked out this year.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i thought i had most of my shopping done but i just realized there's more stuff i need.

i don't have a good present for my mom or my dad. must start wracking brain to think of good gift that won't just take up space and collect dust.

and i need to get my little 2-yr old nephew some things. but he has too many clothes and too many toys as it is. ugh.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wont even start until the weekend of 12/22

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I placed a large order with Amazon for family, braved the mall for my Secret Santa, and purchased more holiday wrapping stuff at the "Everything's A Dollar" store. I'm set.
    Now all I need is motivation for the upcoming in-law Yankee Christmas swap. I may just leave all that for my hubby to deal with . . .
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2000
    My list is done and will start shopping this week. I've got tons of parties and events going on this week, so I'm sure I'll be Christmas cheered out this time next week. Then I rejuvinate for the following week.

The kids will be with me from Christmas morning to New Years Day.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001

knock me out now and wake me on NYE

Ya'll are getting me nervous! The spouse and I will not exchange gifts, and I am deleting all catalog email offers and tossing out mail catalogs without even opening them!

I am so spooked this Christmas.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The fiancée and I went shopping on Magenta Saturday… and lines were still two long. I did some online shopping yesterday.

I don’t get the “Shopping Craze” I have shown up a few days after and been able to get just as good of deals (sometimes better) than Black Friday.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have about 3/4 of ours done. We actually start picking up things as we see them around August. We haven't done gifts for each other yet, there's a few folks we need to hit for my family and I need to get stuff for our department's adopted family. You won't see me darken the door of a mall, store or anything on Black Friday.

We do about 60% of our holiday shopping online now.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I only have about 4 more things to buy, but I know what the are and where I'm going to buy them from. I always research gifts online, starting around October, reading reviews and checking pricegrabber.com. Especially when it comes to our daughter. I read toy reviews on amazon and toysrus, and know exactly what I've budgeted for and what I'm going to buy. The husband and I went to Target the night before thanksgiving. The store was nearly empty, we bought everything on santa's list, and were in and out. This is our daughters first year of really understanding about santa, so it will be fun.

Dandy, get the nephew a bunch of books or coloring books. My nephew has way too many toys and his mommy only dresses him in gymboree and tommy hilfiger clothes (I refuse to spend that much for clothes a kid fits into for 3 months, tops), so I always buy him a ton of books.

The only gift I have yet to figure out is one for our daycare lady. Last year we got her a gift certificate for an educational toy store. The year before we got her a willow tree angel, cause I noticed she had a collection of them. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to spend between $15-$20 on her.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    mostly done--- although Mr. Bluehour's birthday is the 29th of Nov., so its a double whammy for me.

and the family must be sick of recieving "irish" gifts after all these years..... "Another tweed cap! Just what I wanted....."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I bought some new work boots for site inspections. The old boots were done. Got them for 80% ($19 at Sears, plus they are tax deductible!) off friday night. woohoo. We went yesterday and knocked off some things for the kids and my mom.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Dandy, get the nephew a bunch of books or coloring books. My nephew has way too many toys and his mommy only dresses him in gymboree and tommy hilfiger clothes (I refuse to spend that much for clothes a kid fits into for 3 months, tops), so I always buy him a ton of books.
    good suggestion. he has a lot of books, but not too many coloring books. he is in a marker/crayon phase right now. thanks!!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I opted out of both Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I guess I'm just against the American way.

I did get some shopping done when I visited a popular downtown district on Saturday. The stores were bustling with activity, but people were generally quite pleasant. I found some unique gifts and actually enjoyed myself, which I NEVER do at the mall.

Registered
    May 2005
    All my shopping this year will be online. I can’t stand the crowds any more. People waiting for hours and even days for some items! Please. I just place an order and then forget about it.

Bill

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I pay for Amazon Prime (free shipping, year round) and it pays for itself over and over. Especially at X-mas. I can order something at any time, when the mood strikes, and don't have to worry about consolidating to get decent shipping rates. I received an order today and then got online and ordered another item I'd thought of for my mom. (Who'd have thought amazon would have folding canes?)

Still, nothing beats just cruising slowly through stores and looking for new stuff. Or checking out the sales flyers in the last month before Christmas. I still get lots of new ideas there.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I used Black Friday as the opportunity to purchase myself a SWEET black leather jacket at more than half the original price. I'll purchase Christmas gifts for other people later.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I realized tonight that I am almost done, except for a couple gifts apiece for my mom and kid...
    That's so very sick...shopping before Dec 15.
    Did you know Amazon.com sells womens panties? Not that I would have any idea what size to purchase.

I did some on line shopping tonight. I'm getting there.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    That's so very sick...shopping before Dec 15.
    Did you know Amazon.com sells womens panties? Not that I would have any idea what size to purchase.
    Oh, really? I get mine on the clearance rack at Target. Matter of fact, one of my purchases showed up in Rumpy's desk fort awhile back....

I have hit the wall, need a couple more things for my 13 yr old son. I don't have a clue anymore. It was so easy when I could just buy toys. He's not old enough to want clothes. Would he be insulted if I gave him a big box of zit medication?

Registered
    Aug 2005

presents for coworkers?

who here buys presents for their coworkers?

your boss (if you aren't one)?

your staff (if you're the boss)?

i'm not a boss but there is a department secretary that does a ton of work with/for me. i realize i should get her a gift in show of thanks and appreciation. what do i get her? how much should i spend?

there is another secretary in the office but doesn't do work for me, plus she's the recipient of my work secret santa gift. should i get her something else as well?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    I used Black Friday as the opportunity to purchase myself a SWEET black leather jacket at more than half the original price. I'll purchase Christmas gifts for other people later.
    Having met you in person, I imagine it's smokin' hot!! BEK - watch this one!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Shopping mall
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Jul 2010, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 1:27 PM
  3. Holiday shopping
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9