Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Writing Sample?

Writing Sample?

Hi all

I just got a phone call to be part of a group interview on Monday. At the end of the conversation the woman asked me to bring a writing sample, like a press release or brochure..... I don't have anything of the nature. I was too excited about the call, I didn't say anything but "okay, I'll do that. See you....blah blah blah"

Any writing I've done in the past is part of a much larger report or application. Anyone have any feedback as to what I can do

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd just bring in one of your reports. I usually bring in one of my staff reports or a copy of a memorandum on a controversial issue when I go to an interview, and leave it with them to peruse.

problem #2 then,

the reports I wrote were during a job I had in college a couple years ago, in a different state...
    uhhh, this lack of experience! Frustrating.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would just go ahead and bring in any recent writing you've done for work, regardless of whether it is planning related or not.

They aren't going to be looking priarily at content, but instead they are looking at your wrtten communcation skills.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Bring whatever you have, dont sweat that which you cannot control.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Bring whatever you have, dont sweat that which you cannot control.
    Exactly.... just bring something somewhat recent. Almost every job I have taken was in a region different than the previous job. In the last jump it was a different country... writing is writing, doesn't matter where you were physically when you wrote it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They're just looking for style and ability, not content. bring what you have and don't sweat it!

Worst case scenario - make something relevant to take even if it is a ficticious report. Again, style and ability, not content.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ditto what Chet said. A few years ago when I was in a serious job hunt I made good copies of several examples of my work - economic analysis, drawings, marketing pieces, etc. - and I would bring them to the interview even if I was not asked. When a question ever came up like "What experience have you had with brownfield redevelopment?" I would pull out a redevelopment plan and a couple one-page project summaries and pass them around while I talked about the projects. It makes an impact. Not only do they get to see your work, but you also demonstrate that you have prepared for the interview.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Good Stuff, thanks!

Thanks so much, my heart rate is starting to return to normal. Still some anxiety towards the interview but, you know....

I wish I had made copies at my previous job, but the lesson is learned

I'm now going to work on this writing sample, which for now will be something I make up. Probably along the lines of welcoming a new business to town....encouraging the public to attend the opening?

Thanks again, and I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.

I've composed a writing sample and am wondering if anyone is willing to look over it for me and provide feedback?

If so send me a PM! Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2003

Bringing Materials

Cardinal,

That is a great piece of advice. Bringing a sample of your writing - even if not asked - to the interview, makes a great impression. As you said, if you can point to a project in the text, it not only shows you have relevant experience but shows that you came prepared.

We generally ask for a writing sample of interviewees. As many have posted here it is to see if someone can write. The topic is not very important. You would be amazed how many people make it through college and cannot write clearly.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I usually ask people to write something for me at the interview. It is much more effective than reviewing some heavily edited document from a college course or previous job.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Common writing sample topics?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 12:10 PM
  2. Cornell writing sample???
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3