Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Emergency home shelters...

Registered
    Dec 2006

Emergency home shelters...

How have your municipalities dealt with the need for emergency shelters? Not necessarily temporary homeless facilites for those who seeks a roof over their head (15 hours or less per stay), but let's say a mother and her two children vacate (escape?) their home following a domestic dispute and need a place to stay until they can get things sorted (maybe as long as 30-45 days). Do you draw a distinction between those two types of housing? In what types of surrounding land uses do you permit this type of housing (industrial areas, commercial areas, high-density residential)? Is it permitted by right, through Special/Conditional Use or Special Execption? Do you require minimum square footages per resident? What ancillary uses do you allow in the primary use (food preparation, counseling, etc.)?

I'd appreciate it if you could post a link to your Municode ordiance text/language if you have one. Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I thought you meant fallout shelters from the title--oops--a topic for the "archaic language" thread.

Back on topic: we were lucky enough to have bought and refurbished an old motel for this purpose in my last town.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I thought you meant fallout shelters from the title--oops--a topic for the "archaic language" thread.

Back on topic: we were lucky enough to have bought and refurbished an old motel for this purpose in my last town.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Examples of bike hub / shelters
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Aug 2013, 5:40 PM
  2. Basements & Storm Shelters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 May 2011, 2:15 PM
  3. Homeless shelters
    Land Use and Zoning