Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Incentives for hotel upkeep

Nov 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA

Incentives for hotel upkeep

Hi All

I am doing research for the City of Santa Cruz, CA on ways to enhance our hospitality industry. Although we are a lovely city by the sea we have below average occupancy rates.

Our hotels are very out of date and unkept. It is my job to look into ways that we can help promote rennovation and upkeep of the hotels. These hotels are able to charge $200/night in the summer and just $50/night in the winter.

My question is what can government do to basically prod business owners to do a better job. Anyone know of any successful or unsuccessful similiar projects?

Feb 2004
    How about annual inspections to make sure the buildings meet the minimum standards of the building code in place when they were built? You may want to consider creating a redevelopment fund to give out low interest rate loans to individually owned facilities to encourage rehabilitation. Just some thoughts.

Apr 2006
    Promoting synergies...
    Have you spoken to the owners about the poor and out of date condition of the rooms? It would be a good start to find out what their challenges are and what the city can do to assist in their operations...like a retention visit.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Aug 2006
    Bay Area (Northern California)
    code enforcement (i.e., daily fines until it's fixed).

Ther must be something in your code about "nuisances".

Aug 2002
    At least two counties in upstate New York have established programs specifically targeted to hotel and motel owners, to encourage the renovation and modernization of outdated lodging facilities. The programs offer grants or low-interest loans that must be matched in part by private investment. In return, the hotels must create jobs for local residents (as mandated by the federal Community Development Block Grant program, a major source of funding for this program). The idea is to provide opportunities for business retention and expansion in areas where tourism is the main industry; by helping business owners invest in improvements, the counties are increasing occupancy rates and improving the tourism industry overall.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Jun 2003
    at the neighboring pub
    Code enforcement is a good starting point if you've got some real stinkers out there.

We have a economic development revolving loan fund that we could use to provide low-no interest rehab loans for hotels. We're about to rework this program as a downtown rehab program (facade, and interior if it will result in xx jobs, etc.). Access to cheap money will do wonders to motivate the hotel owners.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Incentives for developers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Oct 2007, 9:51 PM
  2. Retail tax incentives
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Aug 2007, 1:09 PM
  3. Hotel vs. Condo vs. Resort Hotel
    Land Use and Zoning