Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trip generation: health clinic

Registered
    Aug 2001

Trip generation: health clinic

A local retailer has proposed to lease about 500 square feet of space in their store, next to the pharmacy, to a health clinic. It will only have two examining rooms for practicing nurses. A question came up regarding trip generation. How likely is this to create more traffic? I am arguing that because of its limited size and the presence of the pharmacy (most trips are going to be dual-purpose and not strictly because of the clinic) actual trips because of the clinic will be minimal. Anybody have data or thoughts to share?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

See this link, I attached a (ITE) spreadsheet for trip generation of various types, I don't know if health clinic is included. Hope this helps.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...rip+generation
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Iwould think the health clinic would not add any noticeable amount of traffic. What is the overall size of the retailers store? I am assuming it is at least 50,000 sq ft plus if it is a full service grocery or a super grocery. if so, the total square footage of the clinic is under 1% of the total floor area. Most patients would be going to the store anyway to pick up some cold medications, pain relievers, etc. So if anything, you are eliminating a stop on their travels because they don't need to go to the doctor too.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    For what it's worth:

PM Peak:

IV Sq. ft.- 5.18 avg rate per 1,000 sq. ft. = 3 trips for 500s q.ft.

IV Full time doctor- 3.78 avg. rate per doctor= 4 per doctor (if there is one)

IV Employees- 1.23 avg rate per employee= 2 per employees (the two nurses)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Trip generation on a 500 square foot clinic?? not much. In fact the overall trips generated may be reduced as you are shrinking the amount of retail space in the store.

How bad is the traffic in your neck of the woods where this would even be a factor?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I would also say additional trip generation would be negligible in this case.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Trip generation on a 500 square foot clinic?? not much. In fact the overall trips generated may be reduced as you are shrinking the amount of retail space in the store.

How bad is the traffic in your neck of the woods where this would even be a factor?
    Not so much a question of how bad the traffic is, but of who the retailer is.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine that there would be any traffic-related issues with this project.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Health club trip generation rates
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2011, 12:02 PM
  2. TND trip generation
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 11:28 AM
  3. More Trip Generation Questions
    Transportation Planning