Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Special zoning districts

Registered
    Feb 2006

Special zoning districts

Building upon another question I posted...

Under what circumstances would you create a special zoning district(s) for your older residential district and main street downtown? Would you look at how many variances are being requested in the older areas? By the size of the district in relation to the size of the rest of the city that is under the more modern zoning standards?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    Building upon another question I posted...

Under what circumstances would you create a special zoning district(s) for your older residential district and main street downtown? Would you look at how many variances are being requested in the older areas? By the size of the district in relation to the size of the rest of the city that is under the more modern zoning standards?
    Yeah...that would be one level of analysis to do. In order to develop a separate zoning district to address the older portions of the muni, you need to see what the existing conditions are (setbacks, height, etc) and create codes that adhere to the existing built environment, but still allowing for reasonable intensification of development (aka - don't create codes that freeze the areas in amber).
    Last edited by mendelman; 12 Dec 2006 at 4:52 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I usually like the idea of a separate zone because you are at least communicating that you don't want your downtown to be demolished and replaced with modern-scale development.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 10:22 AM
  2. Special zoning districts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Mar 2008, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Feb 2007, 12:51 PM
  4. Little Italy- Special Districts
    Economic and Community Development