Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How common is common sense?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

How common is common sense?

I guess common sense is not all that common anymore when it comes to... anything. News reports are littered with people who do stupid things and get up in trouble, hurt, or dead. I think that on a regular basis we deal with people who seem to constantly do things that are contrary to something that should be a no-brainer because of lack of discipline or some other stupid reason.

How do you deal with people who lack common sense? Do you feel that this is becoming an epidemic in the world? Do you feel that lack of discipline is a major factor or are some people too stupid to know the difference?
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think the level of stupidity and cluelessness in the population is probably no more or less than usual throughout history.

It may seem that there is more now becuase of a larger population than ever in human history and greater reporting of the events because of their "hah" value for news outlets, etc.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

While I agree with mendelman, I'd just add that I think we are much more distracted by outside influences than ever in history. Thus, it's easy to get run over when your iPod is blasting and you don't hear the train whistle.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    How do you deal with people who lack common sense?
    Usually with the tact and consideration that I would want extended towards me if I were the one ACTING LIKE A FREAKIN CLUELESS MORON! HELLO!
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Do you feel that this is becoming an epidemic in the world?
    'becoming'? Maybe a million years ago but today I'd call it a fair description of the human condition
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Do you feel that lack of discipline is a major factor or are some people too stupid to know the difference?
    Yes and yes
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    Douglas Adams, author, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (1952-2001)

Nuff said.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Years ago, this Bear dated a Toledo Public Schools teacher. She was a member of Mensa, quite stunning and beautiful, a riot to be with, loved to party.

She also couldn't figure out the simple things in life. Not sure how logic escaped her.....but it did.

Over the years I had heard people comment: "Yeah, those real smart people have no common sense." She did seem to fit that description.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wonder if we all start out with common sense. As we learn, we try to apply what we learn, instead of relying on the sense God gave us. At least, that's how it worked in my case.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I went to high school and college with someone who was brilliant but had no common sense. My parents made me give her a ride to college (from FL to Mass) and back home for a couple years, and it was torture. Clueless. I honestly don't think her parents ever made her come out of her room and experience life; her whole life was in school books. She did not understand how you go in and pay for a hotel room, or how to pack/load a car, etc.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My dearest friend is one of the most brilliant people I have ever met but has zero common sense and makes me crazy because of it sometimes. At least he is getting better about asking these days though.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    There is no such thing as common sense...something that is obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    There is no such thing as common sense...something that is obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone.
    Well, duh! Everybody knows that!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    It's taken me a long time to realize this fact. Most people do not see the world the way I see it and I realize that the best way to share my knowledge is to explain why I see it that way. Recently, I have started to realize that some of my common sense doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I went to high school and college with someone who was brilliant but had no common sense. My parents made me give her a ride to college (from FL to Mass) and back home for a couple years, and it was torture. Clueless. I honestly don't think her parents ever made her come out of her room and experience life; her whole life was in school books. She did not understand how you go in and pay for a hotel room, or how to pack/load a car, etc.
    Sounds like my twin brother
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Depends on your definition of "common"
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's UNCOMMON.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Common sense is becoming less common all the time. I think lawyers and government have a lot to do with it.

As I tend to say (to produce a clever linguistic juxtaposition with a common economics term), people act in irrational self interest.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2003

Aboat ass conmon aas msksisis spellijng somethang wight
    Last edited by Rumpy Tunanator; 19 Jan 2007 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Winkeyely
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Aboat ass conmon aas msksisis spellijng somethang wight
    Hey, 4 out of 5 Cyburbians spell "lose" as "loose"....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Common sense seems to be a function of one's ability to control their emotions/remain composed. I've known people that are very intelligent but when they get angry or upset they can't reason correctly.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    So is common sense actually the ability to reason???
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Most common strip mall tenants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 4:46 PM
  2. Once-common, now rare song themes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 12 Nov 2005, 11:58 AM
  3. Is this common in your community???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Jun 2002, 3:44 PM
  4. common dreams
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Sep 2001, 11:17 PM
  5. How should NU common areas be funded?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2000, 10:17 PM