Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Future City Design Competition

Future City Design Competition

Found an article in my professional society's (NSPE's) quarterly magazine where middle school students design cities using advanced technologies for fuel sources and power supplies. This competition occurred during Engineering Week (E-Week), and sponsored by my professional society and the JETS program. Interestingly enough, Michigan school students fared very well in this endeavor. Maybe there is hope for my motherland after all... ENJOY
    www.futurecity.org
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I question the use of SC3000 when SC4 is so much better, especially with the Rush Hour expansion for more variety in transit and available mods to make sim behavior more realistic. Hopefully the reason for the choice is because SC3000 is cheaper and less resource-intensive, rather than the contest runners thinking SC4 would be too complex for high schoolers.

Also, there's not enough emphasis on the fact that it's The Future. What would constitute good city design in an irradiated post-apocalyptic society or police-state surveillance society? What new technologies could arise that transform the structure of the city (ala autos)?

Bah Humbug!

I think Cyburbia should host a Future City Competition for jaded, pragmatic planners like yourselves. There should be a list of possible future scenarios you would have to create a regulatory framework for, including

- a society where everybody is wired into the Internet and robots have to deliver everything
    - a society where the middle class has been eliminated, and all you have are the ultra-rich, elite few, and the service class or unemployed proletariat
    - Eurotopia
    - true overpopulation
    - freestyle with a creative guess at what the future may hold
    Last edited by gsys; 16 Apr 2007 at 9:57 PM. Reason: I suck at writing

Step up..

Why doesn't the AICP host a similar (maybe more planning oriented) contest? It would surely draw interest into the planning profession...Oh, wait - I answered my own question....
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    More to the point why not use SC2000, its much more fun and very simple.

Jaded you say? I'll join if you add cynical to the list of attributes.

Anyway, the point of this post was to look really stupid in asking what the term Europtopia means and what you meant by the last post ssyn...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Eurtopia is the European Utopia. Things are pretty good over there, you know.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I will assume your being sarcastic. Although yeah, it quite nice here I suppose.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Jan 2007, 2:36 PM
  2. WTC Memorial Design Competition
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Nov 2003, 2:08 PM