Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where to do an internship?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Where to do an internship?

Dear folks,

If this sort of question should go to the student forum, please accept my apologies. However, I wanted to ask some people in the working world where the best place to do a summer internship may be.

I am currently in my first year at a Big-Ten urban planning program, and have a concentration in community development. I would like to focus an internship in community development/neighborhood planning or metropolitan development. Since my wife is a big city girl, I've made a pledge to look for internships in three places:

-Ann Arbor Michigan. We live here right now, and I love the town. I know of a few places that might be interested in having a summer intern. I am also looking at a few places in Lansing (more state-level urban policy organizations).

-New York City

-Washington DC

My question to you all is there a benefit about working in a big city over a small town in terms of internship experience and future employment connections? Does anyone care to recommend any organizations that might be worth considering? To be honest, I don't know where we will be ending up in two years, as my wife's employment will lead us to where we will live.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    May 2006
    don't intern for tacoma

Registered
    Aug 2005
    there are plenty of Community Development opportunities in New Orleans!! looks great on a resume too.

personally, i might go for a smaller town because you'll work with a smaller group of people and they'll get to know your work habits better than at a large organization, imo.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The next internship
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jul 2011, 1:39 PM
  2. Internship
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 5:34 PM
  3. Job+internship
    Student Commons