Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do some people have NO sense?

Registered
    Aug 1997

Do some people have NO sense?

Does it bother anyone else that some supposedly intellegent people in this country do stupid stuff, then are surprised when someone is offended and goes right to the media?

There is a story in the paper about a skit at an office christmas party where someone asked "Santa" for a "chocolate bunny", and "Santa" produces an African-American woman dressed as a Playboy bunny.

And now they're surprised it offended someone and is on the front page of the paper! DUH!

For some reason, stuff like this bothers me.

Anyone else see anyone barge right into something blatently offensive and then be shocked it hit the papers?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Isn't that just a matter of context? Slightly funny on SNL.. off-color and tasteless at an office party.

Should there be high school and college level courses on the simplicity of context?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    There was the East Moline, IL School Board member who was called by her 16 year old drunk daughter that she just crashed the SUV. Her response - to go drag the injured girls out of the vehicle (one had multiple pelvic fractures) and take them home home and told them to not tell anybody what happened.

No excuse.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm with boiker: it might not be that offensive depending upon the context. Of course, I was a military wife for a long time and I have two aspie kids, so, for example, on autism e-mail lists, people think I am the soul of politeness and social skills and wisdom but in a lot of other contexts people would like to occassionally just slug me for being so rudely blunt and all that.

EDIT: I am reminded of when Whoopi Goldberg dated that white guy that used to be on cheers...Dan something-er-other ... and they did a skit in black face and it really went down in flames in the media. I am sure they figured America was "evolved" enough to Get It and were undoubtedly mortified to discover how bad racism still is, though it must not have mattered to the two of them privately.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post

EDIT: I am reminded of when Whoopi Goldberg dated that white guy that used to be on cheers...Dan something-er-other ..
    Ted Dansen

What about Michael Richard's tirade? I think he thought, at least initially, that he was being funny.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    What about Michael Richard's tirade? I think he thought, at least initially, that he was being funny.
    Excellent example! Anytime you start talking about someone disrespectfully, tread lightly. If they don't approve and go along, you'll get drilled in the media. Even making fun of yourself, like your gender or religion or background, you have to think about what you're saying.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

You mean like when Bush Sr. said that "I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens"? Oh wait... the media ignored that one.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Ted Dansen

At least I got one of the syllables right.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It takes alot to offend me, and I think nowadays peeps just get "offended" because they know ther is a chance for monetary gain in it

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Usually it's local politicians enamored by all the perks of their office who show no sense whatsoever. 15 people from one office attending a convention/taking a junket/taking a spouse along and charging it to the jurisdiction. That always ends up in the paper. Being caught gambling in Vegas when they're supposed to be in conference sessions. Video at 6! Dumbasses.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 2:43 PM
  2. Sense of place
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Nov 2004, 10:50 PM
  3. Sense of place
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jan 2003, 9:56 AM