Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Permitting Work in the Private Sector

Registered
    Apr 2002

Permitting Work in the Private Sector

I currently work in the public sector as a grant program manager. I've learned the whole local legislative process (and its frustrations) and am thinking of trying something new where I'd be actually planning something.

I have been interviewing with a private engineering/planning firm for a position that would help their clients (large institutions and urban mixed-use developments) obtain local and state transportation and environmental permits. The firm tells me this position will offer a variety of different work- not just filing paperwork for permits. I'm inclined to believe them, but have feeling that private firms, in general, put people in more defined roles. Am I wrong?

Has anyone here worked in this area in the private sector? What did you like or dislike about it? Thanks for your advice!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm in my 11th month in the private sector. I've found that the job descriptions are broadly written, so that if there's something you're better at, or have an interest in, it's easier to find things for you to do that are within your "job description".

Permitting is one of the necessary evils of private sector work. I don't care for it, but it's part of my job description, so I do it. However, I also know when I can pass some responsibility on, and still track that it gets done. So you may have to do some permitting, but rarely is that the only thing you do.

Good luck.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'm in my 11th month in the private sector. I've found that the job descriptions are broadly written, so that if there's something you're better at, or have an interest in, it's easier to find things for you to do that are within your "job description".

Permitting is one of the necessary evils of private sector work. I don't care for it, but it's part of my job description, so I do it. However, I also know when I can pass some responsibility on, and still track that it gets done. So you may have to do some permitting, but rarely is that the only thing you do.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply. If anyone else has experience with this, please let me know.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Jun 2010, 9:31 AM
  2. Public sector planning versus private sector
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Jun 2007, 10:56 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 2:27 AM
  4. Private or Public sector?????
    Make No Small Plans