Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Developer?

Registered
    Dec 2006

Developer?

Hey, I just found this great forum.

I am currently in college and aspire to become a developer one day, focusing on reviving urban areas and providing an alternative to the suburbs.

Would Urban and Regional Planning be a good major in college? (for a bachelors)

If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Turk View post
    Would Urban and Regional Planning be a good major in college? (for a bachelors)
    Well . . . a planning education would give you an understanding of a larger view of how development affects neighborhoods, cities, regions, etc. It's a more "macro" view, like macroeconomics. It would be useful, but wouldn't directly focus on individual developments.

Real estate and business classes may be more helpful on real estate investment, development financing, construction, etc.. These would be more "micro", and directly relevant to individual transactions, developments, determining rental rates, marketing, etc.

Do some more research into planning education. You could do planning as an undergrad and an MBA or masters in real estate to focus on what you really want. Do some more research before you decide.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Certainly a class or two in the planning field woudn't hurt, particularly on the role of the public in planning.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Go the Civil Engineering route.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I think a degree in Planning is what you want, but I would definitely focus my electives on land economics, civil engineering, finance, marketing and housing policy. Once again, most planning degrees are geared to make you a generalist, which is what good developers are. They are a jack of all trades... they can interact with bankers, engineers, politicians, planners, land owners, builders, real estate agents and investors in a competent manner and know when to delegate specific issues to the experts.

Good developers are very personable but are no BS when it comes to getting deals done.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Moderator note:
    Thread moved from Make No Small Plans to Career Advice. Carry on.

I think you could go either planning/public administration or real estate/business, so long as you blend the two of them weighted toward your greater interest. Good Luck!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2006
    A planning degree or concentration will give you a broader understanding of the public involvement processes but you'll still need the business knowledge for that developer goal. I've been on both sides and you'll need to develop a thick skin to protect you from planning idealists who look at developers as the root of all evil and business purists who look as planners as an impediment to progress. I'd still say go for that planning education, there can't ever be too many people who can look at the world with a broad perspective.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I would love to deal with developers who have an education in planning, but I have yet to meet one . I think usually they are educated in just business, and maybe real estate. It doesn't matter how many great ideas you have for urban renewal if you don't have the cash.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I would love to deal with developers who have an education in planning, but I have yet to meet one . I think usually they are educated in just business, and maybe real estate. It doesn't matter how many great ideas you have for urban renewal if you don't have the cash.
    I was fortunate enough to work with a developer that had a planner as VICE PRESIDENT of Development That was kinda cool, just because he knew what I was talking about and understood where public planners were going with certain ideas....

My advice:

Get a B.A. in Blood Sucking with a minor in Greed
    and a Masters in Hustling

Seriously,
    Go for the Planning degree....at the very least it could be a fall back in the event you don't like the development side....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 28 Feb 2009, 2:14 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 4:43 PM
  3. Developer in your midst.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 26 Nov 2006, 4:18 PM
  4. Developer nicknames