Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Santa is Not Real

Registered
    Nov 2002

Santa is Not Real

Growing up in a Jewish family I never had the experience of finding out that Santa wasn't real. How old were you when you discovered that your parents were pulling your leg about Santa? Were you heartbroken, embarrassed or pissed off? Did you wonder what else your parents were lying to you about?

ps - Santa told me that anyone who turns this thread into a religious/anti-religious flame war will get coal in their stocking.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I always doubted the existence of Santa simply because I lived in a second floor apartment without a fire place. How was Santa going to get in? Through the porch?? Plus, my mom never really emphasized Santa too much and my older brother loved to debunk myths (as evidenced by stealing the car keys and discovering a plethora of unwrapped toys in the trunk, hence further proving that Santa did not exist).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    I always doubted the existence of Santa simply because I lived in a second floor apartment without a fire place. How was Santa going to get in? Through the porch?? Plus, my mom never really emphasized Santa too much and my older brother loved to debunk myths (as evidenced by stealing the car keys and discovering a plethora of unwrapped toys in the trunk, hence further proving that Santa did not exist).
    We had a magic golden key we would hang on the doorknob so Santa could get in. My mom made that up when we moved to Arizona from Oregon to a house without a chimney. It worked on my daughter too until she was about 7.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2006
    When I was in 2nd grade my twin brother and I accidently found a bunch of bags from the toy store, filled with a lot of the stuff we asked santa for for christmas. My dad wasn't home, and my mom was sleeping in, or something. I don't remember. But we had climbed onto chairs to unlock the door to the sunroom, for some reason, and there they all were. We sat in there and played with the toys for awhile, before realizing what was going on. The rumblings we'd heard about parents buying the toys must be true. We packed everything up the way we had found it and my brother made me promise to not let my parents know, or they'd be disappointed. Christmas morning we faked surprise as we opened each present, and there were a few we didn't know about ahead of time, so that was nice. But, after opening everything my brother broke down and came clean. My mom cried and laughed at the same time, but ended up explaining to us how we had to make sure our younger cousins believed, cause that is part of the fun.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Much like Planderella I'd pretty well figured it out on my own quite young. When my mother broke the 'news' to me (and we're talking several months ago) it was merely confirmation. FWIW Mrs. Maister reports she was crushed when she heard the news about Santa.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2005
    WHAT????

Thanks for ruining my Christmas, Seabishop. Guess I don't have to wait in line at the mall next year.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    When my mother broke the 'news' to me (and we're talking several months ago) it was merely confirmation.
    Sorry to hear that, man. At least I got to enjoy one last Christmas before I learned the secret. How could Mama Maister be so cold?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I don't remember the age, but I recognized the handwriting on Santa's 'Thank You' note for the milk and cookies we left him. Dad handwriting was very distinct.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Don't remember if I have told this story here or not but,

My brothers were much younger than I and when I had my daughter my youngest brother was asking questions about Santa. I told him that at the hospital after we had babies there was a special parent class where they taught us about santa and the easter bunny and the tooth fairy. He bought it hook line and sinker.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2002
    I don't remember exactly how old I was, but one year my Mom had me help put stuff in the stockings, including my own, and hang them up. It wasn't tramatic or anything.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Two older brothers... I knew by age 3. My parents were not particularly pleased with them.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Tim Allen isn't Santa Claus???
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm can't remember exactly when my brother told me but I think I was around 8 or so...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Growing up, we only got one present from Santa each year and the rest were from Mom and Dad, so I don't remember ever learning or caring that Santa was a fraud. My aunt, however, is still mad that I broke the news to my much younger cousin when I broke the news -- "can you say mythical?" when she was about 3 or 4. Ooops.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Daddy was a preacher man... No Santa, ever.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    My sister is a year older than me. When she figured it out, she couldn't wait to tell me. I was pretty indifferent about it. I remeber thinking, "yeah, that makes sense"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was probably 8 or so when my sister told me, but we kept quiet so our parents would still think we believed. I don't remember being crushed or anything. At least we had the sense not to tell our little brother.

I continued the ruse with my son. One year I opened the fireplace screen and stuck little bits of felt (like from Santa's suit) on the screen. He fell for that. Fatboy next door who was 2 years older had been hinting there to him that there was no Santa. And of course putting the cookies out at night and just finding crumbs on the plate in the morning.

I was real good at disguising my handwriting to be Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I did not grow up being told Santa was "real". So my heart was never broken over this.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I point blanked asked my mother when I was 7. I was not surprised but was rather upset that my parents were lying to me. If they would lie to me about Santa what else were they lying about?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If they would lie to me about Santa what else were they lying about?
    The stork.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Santa isn't real?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Feb 2000
    While the person (elf) Santa may not be real, the joy the concept of Santa brings to children is very very very real. I was a Santa one year and the joy just the sight of me brought to children was priceless. Their eyes light up with pure joy.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I dont think anyone ever told me, it just kinda came together but I still played along and still do. There are still gifts marked "santa" for Steve and other family members. Its fun and no one ever owes up to who gave who the nice gift it just happens. Kinda the odd Secret Santa for my extended family.

Heck I get flowers and gifts from the dogs (with their own rather odd handwritting) so we like playing such games.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I found out in Sunday School that the church my family attended. I was about 6 or 7 at the time. I ran upstairs and told my mom about it and she was not happy about it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    While the person (elf) Santa may not be real, the joy the concept of Santa brings to children is very very very real. I was a Santa one year and the joy just the sight of me brought to children was priceless. Their eyes light up with pure joy.

I was Santa one year as well... i was never asked to do it again after the "incident"

I was working for a very small town and was "asked" to help man baricades for the Christmas Parade on a Saturday morning. So i am standing in City Hall drinking a cup of Coffe with the Manager and Public Works Director. The Mayor comes in and he is in a panic because the guy that had played Santa was at home in bed sick. So the Manager and Public Works Director do the whole "not it" thing and the mayor hands me the suit and a two buckets of jolly ranchers. So i suit up and hop on the back of a pick up truck and take my place in the lazy boy recliner. I am having the time of my live, tossing the candy to the kiddies. Then my thoughts went dark when i saw the town's evil sign contractor, who i busted one night after a planning commission erecting a sign in the dark of night hoping nobody would notice. So i tossed a few candies toward the edge of the street and when he took the bait i pegged him in the head.

Fast Foward to the following monday; he came to city hall loaded for bear. He was ready to kick santa's butt but he did'nt know who santa's helper was. He question the City Manager who refered him to the mayor who when asked where he could find santa replied the North Pole.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was also Santa’s little helper one year. I liked the little girls sitting on my lap.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is Santa real?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 07 Dec 2010, 12:16 PM
  2. Santa Fe, NM
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Jun 2008, 11:47 AM
  3. Santa Fe
    Cities and Places