Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Educational Contract Buyout

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Educational Contract Buyout

I know that some municipalities offer educational funding assistance for people to get higher degrees or special training, with a caveat that they work for that place for X number of months or years after they finish the class or degree, or pay back all or a percentage of the funding distributed.

If someone left and was willing to pay back based on that specific contractual agreement, does that look bad if you move on to another planning job in another city? Possibly even a public to private change?

Of course all of this is purely hypothetical... although I do hear that there has been an office pool on when I turn in a letter of resignation for the past 6 months.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I don't think it looks any worse if you weren't doing the education thing - I wouldn't worry about it. If you're doing a payback how could it look bad?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've done this in another industry. No impact with any subsequent employers at all. However, don't count on ever going back to your current employer again. What? Never happen? Be sure before you jump. Not too much difference between broken and burned bridges.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Nov 2008, 12:27 PM
  2. Antiquated Educational Aids
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 2:17 PM
  3. Anyone experienced a private sector buyout?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Nov 2007, 1:36 PM