Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: New and Probably Posting in wrong section-Regarding 457 retirement plans

Registered
    Dec 2006

New and Probably Posting in wrong section-Regarding 457 retirement plans

Hello,
    I can't seem to find the correct forum (if it exists) to ask this question. As I was reading through some previous posts, I noticed a few regarding 401k, 457 plans.

I have a client that I'm trying to help understand how their 457 plan works in relation to potentially using the funds or a portion of them for a down payment on a house. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this? Is it specific by state/county? We're in Monterey County, CA. Thank you and my apologies for not placing this in the correct forum. Any advice is appreciated!

Segov

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would suggest finding a forum on retirement plans, this is an urban planning forum. While many of us may dabble in finance, you probably want to talk to someone who keeps up with these things. Good luck.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    NEVER take moeny out of one tax-free account to make it taxable.

If s/he has a short term goal to buy a house s/he may want to lower the amount of contributions for a while. But to take money out is a huge mistake.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wrong Song or Wrong Singer?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Nov 2006, 5:40 PM
  2. Retirement Plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 Mar 2004, 10:03 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jan 2004, 3:49 PM