Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Party stores and party houses: unusual local names for common business types

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Party stores and party houses: unusual local names for common business types

In my travels throughout the US, I've noticed that certain types of businesses are called a completely unique name in one city or region. If you refer to that type of business using the local vernacular outside the region, most people will have no idea what you're talking about. A few examples:

Banquet hall: in Rochester, it's a party house, while in Cleveland it's called a party center. When I think of "party house", I don't think of huge Italian weddings, but rather this:

Inner city convenience store: NYC has bodegas, and Detroit has party stores.

Convenience store: in some parts of southern Ontario near the US border, many are called a milk bar.

Can you think of any other examples?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Around here banquet halls are often called party barns, especially when they are in a more country setting like a log building or something like that.

The drive-thru liquor stores vary by name across the country as well. Incidentally, those are also called party barns.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Liquor stores in South Carolina are called "Package Stores". When I first moved here someone said he had to go to the package store before it closed, I thought he was talking about a UPS Store, Mail Box Etc. kinda thing.....guess there is something offensive about Liquor being in a store's name.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Historically Michiganders have referred to those places that sell six packs, candy, and lottery tickets as 'party stores' or even 'liquor stores' but more and more I've been hearing 'convenience store' creep into the vernacular.

How about 'ports' vs 'harbors'? Seems like you hear folks from New England or the Maritimes referring to places where ships moor as harbors alot more than folks from the Great Lakes region.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002

Redemption Centers

I always thought those were churches, but it turns out that in Maine (and elsewhere?) it's a place to get your bottle deposits back. Here in Oregon you get your deposits back at Safeway or Albertsons, of the IGA, or wherever fine libations are sold.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Down here they are "reception halls". A party store sells stuff for parties, balloons, cards, etc.

Philadelphia has a lot of "delis" that are basically corner stores that sell 40s and junk food. Pennsylvania's liquor laws influence the vernacular. They call themselves delis because they're technically take-out restaurants, so they have a take-out beer licence. A convenience store wouldn't be allowed to sell beer.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by passdoubt View post
    Philadelphia has a lot of "delis" that are basically corner stores that sell 40s and junk food. Pennsylvania's liquor laws influence the vernacular. They call themselves delis because they're technically take-out restaurants, so they have a take-out beer licence. A convenience store wouldn't be allowed to sell beer.
    For those of us who will be at APA this year, where DO you buy beer, wine, vodka, etc?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    For those of us who will be at APA this year, where DO you buy beer, wine, vodka, etc?
    At the State Store. At least that was what they were called when I lived in PA.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 4:53 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Dec 2010, 9:14 AM
  3. Tea Party anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 03 Apr 2009, 2:00 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 9:50 AM