Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Interview questions (was: Odd interview questions: what are they really asking)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not a serious response, AIB Monty Python -

The rest of the line of questions are at http://imdb.com/title/tt0071853/quotes
    African or European Swallow?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Maybe we should start a new thread with new and imaginative ways to answer canned questions

Interviewer: What is your biggest weakness?

Interviewee: &^$^%#&^(*@&*&^^%#@#!!!! My Touretts Syndrome, but it is much better now.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    And you don't think the hiring authority can't identify canned responses?
    Honestly? Not always. Depends on the quality of the interviewer. I don't know if I am alone on this, but when I interview, I am evaluating the interviewer too. The quality of the person that is interviewing me tells me a lot about the place. If that person isn't overly impressive, I tend to get turned off on the job and working there in general.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The direction of "standardized" questions typically comes from the HR dept in an effort to gauge applicants on a level playing field. It's the responsibility of the candidate to "shine."
    I understand the the reasoning behind why interviews are done that way. Plus, government interviews are typically done in this way because, well, government standardizes everything. I am just saying that it is not my favorite interview format.
    In the beginning there was nothing...then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said "Get a job". That is the story of the universe.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    IF HR would allow it, I would prefer taking a candidate to a local watering hole and chat for an hour or so. But we are usually limited to the same 10 questions for each of the top 3-5 applicants. There have been times that I have conducted "extended second interviews" without HR knowing...and it works. (but there have also been times I have been asked to look elsewhere for employment)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    IF HR would allow it, I would prefer taking a candidate to a local watering hole and chat for an hour or so. But we are usually limited to the same 10 questions for each of the top 3-5 applicants. There have been times that I have conducted "extended second interviews" without HR knowing...and it works. (but there have also been times I have been asked to look elsewhere for employment)
    J.C Penny (of the store) would take his interviewees to lunch. If they put salt or pepper on the food without tasting it first he would ask if they had ever eaten there before. If not, then he would continue the interview knowing that there was no way that he was going to hire them.

There have also been other people who have done similar things and based decisions on where the person wanted to sit, what they did with their napkin, if the smoked, or if they talked with their mouth open.

I have been asked:
    “If you were at a party, are you the guy dancing on the coffee table with a lampshade in your head or are you the guy in the corner watching everything unfold and are only there because a friend drug you there.”

*My answer was "I am the best friend of the guy on the coffee table, enjoying everything around me, while keeping an eye on things to make sure that it does not get too out of hand. I was offered the job on the spot... as a sales person.

I am going to bump this thread by once again asking:
    What questions were you asked in your past interviews, and how did you answer them?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WouldBePlanner View post
    "You know, if I was a tree, I would be an oak tree, and this is why..." The words you use in an interview are important, but the delivery can't be overlooked or minimized. I think this is especially critical in the planning field, where communication is so vital.
    I actually got the "plant" question once. It was easy, since I'd just finished a woody plants course...

I said, "I'd be wisteria. Very handsome and colorful, yet so strong and powerful, I could rip down the very framework of my own existence..."

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had an interview yesterday with my county's planning and economic development department and among the standard questions, I was asked if I have have had experience supervising others, my answer of, "Yes..." led to one of the interviewers (a woman) asking if I was ever in a position of responsibility over a woman (or women (I am a male btw)) and if my female charges ever began to cry and how I dealt with that.
    Did you answer, "Yep, and I slapped her real hard so she'd have something to cry about!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I bookmarked this a while back: The Ten Worst Job Interview Questions. (Visit the site to see full commentary.)

#10 - What interests you about our company?

#9 - Have you ever brought a lawsuit against an employer?

#8 - Why did you take the pen from me?
    #7 - Can you work under pressure?

#6 - If you were a ‘Lost’ character, which one would you be?

#5 - How do you define sexual harassment?

#4 - What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

#3 - Do you ever abuse alcohol or drugs?

#2 - What is your biggest weakness?

#1 - Where do you see yourself in five years?

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I bookmarked this a while back: The Ten Worst Job Interview Questions. (Visit the site to see full commentary.)
    <snip>
    I've had this one several times and talked it over with friends. Best answer we can come up with is "In your job." If the interviewer starts to look a bit phased, you need to make sure that you add something about them being in their boss's position, etc. Should raise a smile if nothing else. That said, for the current job (now working for Waste Recycling Group as an Environmental Officer, interviewed November, started in January) my response was more along the lines of "Well, I'm thinking it would be nice to be in the same place, doing the pretty much the same job, but for more money." which I eventually expanded, as being interviewed by future line-manager & boss, to: "You both seem like really good people to work for, there's not a lot of work in Cumbria, so I have no intention of looking for another job, and having moved around a lot over the last ten years, I think I'm ready to stay put and see the fruits of my labour for a change."

And having looked at the link Dan gave, the same team asked me "Are you a team player?" (In the comments)
    Me (suspicious): "Define 'team player'." (i.e. what 'one' am I expected to take for the team.)
    Boss (after a moment's thought): "How well do you work with groups?"
    It eventually devolved into a long winded conversation of which of my future colleagues (no names dropped at the time) are pains in the rear end (has worked out exactly as the bosses said), and how I would and should cope with them. Then the boss asked me why I'd looked so suspicious, so I explained about past experience of "not being a team player" - oh, the joys of team building exercises (in this case, caving) and having major phobias. I must have said the right things as I got the job regardless. They tell me it was because of my enthusiasm.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    My mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer in January 1999, and sometime later that month I was asked this in an interview. (For those blissfully unaware of stages, #4 means "get your affairs in order.")

I guess it was all for the best that the interview came pretty much to a halt right there, as this was one of those revolving door places (NE of Detroit metro); I needed the rest of that year to be the designated daughter portraying a home hospice worker.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Interview questions for a GIS technician
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jul 2009, 11:45 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jul 2008, 7:29 AM
  3. Interview questions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1