Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fast-track permitting for residential developments

Registered
    Aug 2005

Fast-track permitting for residential developments

MA has started a new program for fast-track permitting for commerical developments. our OCD is interested in developing a similar program for residential developments

does anyone have, or know of, any fast-track permitting processes for residential developments?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    MA has started a new program for fast-track permitting for commerical developments. our OCD is interested in developing a similar program for residential developments

does anyone have, or know of, any fast-track permitting processes for residential developments?
    We fast-track residential projects if they are participating in our infill development incentive program.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'll say that all our projects are fast tracked in that a 300 acre annexation and subdivision went from submittal to first building permit in under 2 months.

If we go over that, the elected hammer us for being "unfriendly to business"
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, I not exactly sure what you mean by "residential developments" Is this for just the actual building permit review time, or for a project conception, submittal for Board review, then building permit review?

We have policy and code that requires approximately 90 days max for staff review for projects requiring Board review, and no more than 3 weeks for any individual building permit review (this doesn't count needed plan revisions).

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I'll say that all our projects are fast tracked in that a 300 acre annexation and subdivision went from submittal to first building permit in under 2 months.
    Holy geez. That would have taken other munis I know 8-14 months at least.

And I think you know one of the munis I'm talking about.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we're looking at creating some incentives for developers, for projects over ~20 units, interested in participating in our affordable housing program.

would it be possible to get a copy of your fast-track processes?

i'm interested in seeing how other municipalities do it so that we can figure out what might work best for us. we're still in the brainstorming stage of the process so we need data to help convince our higher-ups.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    we're looking at creating some incentives for developers, for projects over ~20 units, interested in participating in our affordable housing program.

would it be possible to get a copy of your fast-track processes?

i'm interested in seeing how other municipalities do it so that we can figure out what might work best for us. we're still in the brainstorming stage of the process so we need data to help convince our higher-ups.
    PM me and I'll send you our program--it lists a ton of incentives as well as very specific criteria. We are currently updating it, so I'll send you the most recent draft.

We do not have a written procedure for fast-tracks, but it's a pretty well established verbal policy around here that often involves me riding other departments like a stallion to get them to finish their reviews.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 May 2008, 6:11 PM
  2. Names of residential developments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 82
    Last post: 15 Jan 2008, 6:01 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Sep 2007, 3:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 2:43 PM