Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Site development in the middle of single-family

Registered
    May 2005

Site development in the middle of single-family

I was wondering if anyone can think of a small site (10-30 acres) that has been development as mixed-use in an area that is primarily single-family homes. I have an underused intersection (7-11, movie theater, vacant bingo parlor) that is completely surrounded by SF home; some existing examples would be helpful for redevelopment considerations. I'd like to find some new urbanist examples, but everything within that realm seems to be on a much larger scale.

Thanks

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Gateway Planning Group is working on a concept called Town Creek in New Braunfels, TX. It's in an older single-family nieghborhood and is about 30 acres as I recall.

www.towncreektexas.com

Town Creek Final Charette Report (PDF)

The monkey wrench that may limit its applicability to you is the proposed commuter rail stop located in the center of it.

Another city to look at is Leander, TX. It's largely a bedroom community for Austin, but is turning towards TOD/NU for a fair amount of new development. I'm sure some projects will be smaller infill/brownfield redevelopments nestled into single-family areas.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Apr 2008, 8:54 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Jan 2007, 4:31 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Dec 2006, 2:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Sep 2006, 1:05 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Dec 2005, 10:49 AM