Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cluster development

  1. #1

    Cluster development

    What are some of the negative issues associated with cluster developments in a suburb .

  2. #2
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Aug 2005
    in a meeting
    ...up here in exurban Maine in a tourist town, realtors give me crap about my PUD because they say there is no market for clustered design, that people that move from suburban USA to Maine do not want to live next to their neighbors, they want the 2 acre lot - they may just be blowing smoke but we'll see, I guess...
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

  3. #3
    Thanks. Very relevant point for rural maine. The town i speak of is a bout 25,000 people so, i THINK there is a market here for such a design.

    Btw, great game today. Pats destroyed those jets!

  4. #4
          Downtown's avatar
    Oct 2000
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    In many municipalities, cluster is more easily achieved in location with municipal water and sewer. But then, I guess it depends on how "dense" your zoning is. If you have a 5 acre res. zone, then you could reduce the lot size by 80% and still fit your well and septic.

    We just passed a law requiring mandatory conservation subdivsion design - remove constrained lands (steep slopes, protected watercourses and federally and state protected wetlands), get your density yield, reserve 40% of your "developable" space, and put your yield on the remaining 60%.

    The big issue for us will be who maintains that "open space" - in many instances it will be an HOA. But I think we'd rather see it generally go to a land conservancy. Sorting out those issues has the potential to be problematic.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian cch's avatar
    Mar 2006
    Machesney Park, IL
    We are trying to promote cluster developments, with our comp planning we are working on right now. Biggest opposition we are running into is the idea that people don't want shared open space, they want their own private open space on their giant 2-5 acre lots. Cause we all know, shared open space is where all the "undesirables" hang out .

  6. #6
    Aug 2005
    Funky Town, CO.
    I have reviewed cluster developments in both suburban and rural areas. In both cases its difficult to for small HOAs to properly manage common open space; stuff like pay the fees, control the weeds, mow the grass, pick up trash, irrigate when needed. In more rural areas people want the larger properties with the private space and not common open space. Also, at least in the west where there are few trees to hide the houses, rural cluster developments can look like leap-frog suburban development and can change the character of the area.

  7. #7
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Mar 1996
    Upstate New York
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    What? Not about economic or community development, you say? Off to yjr Land Use, Zoning and Development Control subforum.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 3:09 PM
  2. Cluster development
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 21 Feb 2006, 8:32 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 1:48 PM
  4. Subdivision Cluster development
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 Dec 2004, 5:16 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 May 2000, 11:38 PM