Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Job security kicking in

Background: the corporation for which I work is on the verge of being Pac-Manned up by another corporation. Corp HQ is likely going to close, and all those admins and close cousins of the CEO will be out on the streets of Little Rock. I hear there are no less than five Kinko's in that state capital; must be doing a land office business on the resume trade.

Corp Psycho B!+c# is apparently attempting to make herself seem indispensable. We applied to collocate on someone else's cell tower. Someone Else's ground lease has the bizarre requirement of landowner approval (this is a seasonal cabin on a hill up north). Landowner wants to sell and get the heck out of Dodge; he offered his (large, undivideable) parcel to Someone Else, and then to Corp; both declined.

Over the course of three months, Someone Else requested his approval of our application. Sent him three notices via certified mail, called him, faxed him. Finally he said he would give approval for our colo. Someone Else provided copies of all these communiques to Corp Psycho B!+c#. But that's not good enough for her; she ran it past the Corp legal department (notorious for the billable hours work ethic) and they want additional "proof."

I re-sent her everything I had, including a letter from the landlord and Someone Else's reply in response. "But he's asking questions," she replied.

Was I notified about this? I was not. Corp Psycho B!+c# engaged in a casual conversation with Barbie, and "happened to mention" it. Barbie notified me during my real estate update call. I contacted Someone Else, who mentioned that he and Barbie have been discussing this, too.

Last December, our mutual boss in Dan's town had Ken and me come in from our respective other states, and Barbie take some special time out of her busy day, to discuss their tendency to go behind me. "Keep Veloise in the loop," he kept saying.

When I remind Barbie of this directive, she gets defensive. (Helps her cause to be a eye-batter playing the "I'm a cute little girl" card in the cube next to the pointy-haired boss.)

What's the second word in the company name again? Starts with a "C" and ends with "ommunications."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This was sent to me by a friend. Very funny!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i am a Senior Planner. i have experience and a Master's degree. i don't consider myself too good for anything however, there comes a point where it is a waste of my resources, the city's money and frankly just downright stupid.

i should NOT be typing minutes. that's why we have administrative staff. but when the powers that be hired the most recent admin she told them, "i don't do minutes" and they said Ok and hired her anyway. WTF? that's her job! would they have hired me if i said, "I don't do planning commission meetings."

arrgh. so instead, they are wasting my time and salary by having me type the minutes. seriously. i've repeatedly gone to my superiors and requested that we figure something else out, but because they don't deal with the boards, they don't consider it a priority issue. arrrgh!! so i do the minutes when i have the chance and then listen to people complain that there aren't any typed minutes. meanwhile the boards want verbatim minutes.

their one suggestion was to hire a temp, fine. however, the only want to hire the temp every few months. so that creates a backlog of meetings. then i still need to review the minutes because the temps don't know the people's voices or lingo.

meanwhile the new admin sits at her desk and plays freecell. ARRRGH!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I got to do minutes for a municipal partnership meeting the other week. Seems that I was the first one there and "was volunteered" to do it. I didn't really mind, except for the fact that I have never done minutes before and I suck at taking notes. The previous minutes were done by the admin staff for the Town Next Door.

Regardless, thanks for the reminder as I must have these typed out soon!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    i should NOT be typing minutes. that's why we have administrative staff.
    Yeah, I'm in pretty much the same boat and totally hear what you're saying.

There's an upside, though, if you're doing summary minutes. And that's YOU understand all the nuances of what gets said at a public meeting and can accordingly boil ten minutes of hand wringing down into two sentences. That's the sort of power of discrimination/comprehension many secretaries lack.

But if you're talking about verbatim transcripts, then yes, that's a HUGE waste of resources having you do them.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Yeah, I'm in pretty much the same boat and totally hear what you're saying.

There's an upside, though, if you're doing summary minutes. And that's YOU understand all the nuances of what gets said at a public meeting and can accordingly boil ten minutes of hand wringing down into two sentences. That's the sort of power of discrimination/comprehension many secretaries lack.

But if you're talking about verbatim transcripts, then yes, that's a HUGE waste of resources having you do them.

i'm glad i'm not the only one. summary minutes i have no issue with, i do them for a few of the committees i'm on. the verbatim ones are the ones that get stuck in my craw. the boards want every umm, ahh, and chortle.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    uh, well, um - I do make my staff planner (entry level) do minutes for the regulatory boards - it's a good way for him to understand the process, believe it or not, and yes, they are only summary minutes, which is reason #2, most admin's will not understand what's going on well enough to summarize what happened - to do it right, it should be a pro

we televise our meetings so we have a dvd for folks who want a verbatim accounting - board members are cool with it - I tell applicants to being their own stenographer if they want verbatim minutes

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Why is municipal government the dumping ground for bad lawyers? There is nothing more infuriating to me as a staff planner than having to knowingly follow wrong legal advice in dealing with a particular land use case. Part of me wants to tell legal staff what I believe (know, actually) is the right course of action, but I don't want to bruise their egos.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it's all in the delivery, hilldweller - just do it, but nicely and like you're helping them out...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    This was sent to me by a friend. Very funny!
    wheres the smile while your angry smiley?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Someone making a whole pot of flavored coffee - I heard somebody refer to it as "Barbie Coffee"
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People that pull into the employee parking lot, open their door and LEAVE the goddamn door open soo you can't park in the adjacent spot while they sit there fumbling for 2-3 minutes rearranging their car, picking up files, putting on makeup, sorting their clothes out, picking up their coffee cups, talking on their cell phones.... ad nauseum

Me?.....I'm put the car in park, pull the keys out of the ignition, unhook the seatbelt, open and shut the door and leave the parking lot. Shouldn't take more than 5 seconds!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1998

Irritants at work

Municipal politicians who get themselves appointed by their Councils to serve on planning boards (and in public seem to support the process) but away from the meeting table do everything in their power to undermine it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

He referred to Tony as Toni!

Today Barbie got all hot and bothered over one of my vendors sending a message to one of hers. Tony is a guy. (Looking at my keyboard, I see that Y and I are pretty close together.)

Angry IM:
    Bill doesn't like Tony!
    Huh? (I hadn't seen the message)
    So she sends it to me. She'd sent Bill (MY vendor) a message saying, "Tony completed the drawings and sent them to your boss. You should get them from him."
    Bill sent his message to Tony (misspelling him as Toni) asking when he could stop in and pick up the finished drawings (they are in the same town).

I read it, and replied
    BFD.
    Pardon? (Now she's really hot)
    I don't spend a lot of time scrutinizing e-mails where I'm a random CC:
    (thinking about my having to send and re-send her message after message because she doesn't read her e-mail and hasn't figured out how to save messages in unique folders)

I sent Bill a message suggesting that he send Tony a quick note, make a joke about not having had coffee yet. Bill immediately complied, even adding an animated smiley (kissing his hand in apology). He copied her, too, but apparently she's got her undies in a bunch.
    This was intentional. Bill doesn't like Tony. Yadda yadda.

When I opened some preliminary construction drawings, I saw that Tony had spec'ed a 199' cell tower as being that height, and our proposed installation was at 205'. So I sent him a message, replying to one entitled Preliminary Site CDs:
    Tony (or as some say, Toni)--
    When you get to finals on these, please verify the height. Pretty sure that us going at 205' would violate the laws of physics.

And Barbie freakin' CALLS me to explain.
    those are preliminary CDs.
    I know.
    When Tony finalizes them, he'll change it.
    OK.
    She then hung on the phone, waiting for...what? I finally asked,
    is that all you wanted to say?
    I just wanted to tell you that.

Tony sometimes drops by my office (he's north of me, Barbie is in Dan-ville.). He's been known to walk right in, pushing open my closed door. One time he called to ask if he could visit "today," and it turns out that meant "right now" as he was sitting in the parking lot.

Someday I will get to work with adults....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Someday I will get to work with adults....
    Someday I will get to work for one....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the new planner not taking notes at PC meetings then asking to use my notes to write up the decisions.

take your own damn notes!! i'll be happy to lend you mine for clarification, but you have to learn to take your own. *sigh*

Registered
    Feb 2007
    where do u find these people dandy?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I think we get some of the same folks down here in Va WTF
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    i must have a magnet for bozos.

no offense to the BF or my friends.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I, personally, am sick of coworkers and the public coming in during:

-Nap Time
    -A good win streak on FreeCell
    -Cyburbia Fantasy Football Draft Research
    -When I am rocking out to Yes

Don't even get me started on phone calls... who do these people think they are, calling up with all sorts of questions, wanting information on stuff.

Sick of it all, I tells ya, sick of it all.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005

um, well, uh, yeah, I hate that too....

thank you zman for that..........next!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Funny, while I was writing that, the mayor came in to complain about the local County Commissioner race...

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Please Please PLEASE check the toilet to make sure everything got flushed down.

Now I won't be able to use that toilet until the cleaning crew comes through...

-Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Please Please PLEASE check the toilet to make sure everything got flushed down.

Now I won't be able to use that toilet until the cleaning crew comes through...
    I agree 100% and then some - and I'm in the women's room. You'd think our gender would be a little more, um, concerned about leaving anything behind. Nope. Blech.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2007

need to vent this story

So...

I was in a meeting today with contractor and homeowner of a lot in our downtown overlay district with an existing non-conforming home on the lot. The home does not meeting current setbacks in the district and they are proposing a home that would not meet setback either. This district has many special regulations, we often meet with contractors and homeowners doing projects in the district long before demolitions and building permits are submitted. The contractor was issued a demolition permit by the building department somehow without our (the planning depts) knowledge or sign off, even though its required for a demo in the district, especially of a house! We would have signed off on the demo permit, but we would have warned them of the consequences and district regulations long before they tried to submit building permits (and paid for expensive plans to be drawn up). They want to expand the house, by adding a second story and enclosing a carport, but by doing this we (and the attorney) consider this expanding a non comforming structure which is not allowed by our code. As of now we are not signing off on their plans until it gets resolved. Anyways...the contractor said two lines that were irritating:

"We made a mistake, you made a mistake, we have all learned our lesson now, can we just build the house how we want?"

"I don't really want to get the buiding department in trouble over all this because I work with them all the time"
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 4:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 9:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 3:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 2:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 3:37 PM