Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Sorry to the smokers out there, but I hate when a co-worker takes a smoke break and then comes back and starts "close-talking" with me, and it reeks.
    Slightly OT: Why is it that people with the worst-smelling breath want to get all up in your face????????
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm fairly mellow as an office person. Nothing really drives me nuts... other than general political flip-flops (by either administration or politicians). Micro-managers are awful to report to, but I haven't had to do that in a loooooong time. I've been very lucky that I've had great co-workers and bosses for the most part (and I'm really good at tuning out background noise/conversations).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    ...Fashion police- i dislike stares off people cause i actually dress appropriately for an office, yes thats right, i am single with no children and live at home, i may have more disposable income than other people to spend on clothes, thats not my fault....
    Amen sister friend and thank you!! I have made choices in my life that others have not -- most relevantly the single with no children status. Because of these decisions, I am the only one responsible for my money. And what I do with it is my business -- like buying a nice car, nice clothes and traveling often! If I hear the divorced secretary with 3 children say one more time "it must be nice to have a disposable income", it's not going to be a pretty sight!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I worked with a guy that showered maybe every three days and had a Grizzly Adams type beard. He used to wear open toed sandals which weren't pretty. It was insufferable when it got hot outside.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Religious or political "all users" e-mails...[/b][/SIZE]

Oh man...

You didn't...

You know your mail box is going to be full tomorrow, right?

God bless...
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll take a slightly contrary position: I don't mind staff coming into my office when I'm not meeting with someone to discuss issues/processes/procedures. I need to know what's happening and give direction. That's my job.

BTW, I don't micro-manage...except when in comes to Rumpy's work. My greatest challenge is to keep him out of trouble.

Oh, and the deskforts. Drive me crazy. Wait, I've been out of the office for three consecutive working days.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Since I have changed my personality from an A to a B, the following did not upset me, in fact I found it amusing. but if I were still in my A personality mode I would have been
    I had written an ordinace for a community and it was adopted. A couple of months later they asked me to come back for a town hall type of meeting to explain to citizens in the community who had questions (they obviously did not show up for any of the public sessions or hearings)
    During my presentation, a women sitting in the front row answered her cell phone when it rang. She said hello in a normal tone of voice then proceded to explain that she was at a city meeting I stopped talking and everyone listened to her (including me) as she explained what she had done that day and that she was going to stop on the way home and pick up milk. When she was done talking, she shut her phone off and looked up with an expression --well you can continue now . So I finished my presentation and everyone was happy with the new ordinance and with me of course
    But I was still amazed at what had taken place
    And no one was upset, so I guess people have just become used to this

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Not very much.....probably the biggest one is newspapers that get stories completely wrong or misquote.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the people in my cube area apparently don't have as much work to do as i do. so they spend most of the day chatting loudly. it tends to get on my nerves esp. when i'm on an important phone call.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001

The emperor who wore no clothes

I no longer work at this municipality but the city manager there used to take off his shoes and slip up behind me and just stand there breathing. He liked to scare the ladies like that and the clerks would play along and giggle at his antics. I didn't play his games (maybe thats why he fired me). Exhibiting classic passive aggressive behavior, he would also never ever ever never have a face to face talk w/me about my job performance. But every week someties every day he would have to leave rude, and belligerent voice mails to me. I hated listening to thoseand often didn't OOps delete. Needless to say i thought he was a micromanaging prick.

That asshat drove me crazy and the old guy who used to readjust 20 times a day. I wanted to say to him, give up the boxers already!

I think I need to extend my sabbatical

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The new internet policy.... but my productivity is through the roof!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Our office secretary and her constant stories about her kids, her 3rd marriage and their sex lives, and her complete inability to do anything related to work.

The inability to move up in position or get a raise, regardless of how hard we work, because the staff positions are set in stone.

Meaningless paperwork that has no significant relevance to anything that will ever happen.

Lack of a computer system that is not an F3 does based system to track planning, zoning, building, and code enforcement activities.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yesterday:
    B calls me "Did you send me that fax yet?"
    Me "Yes, didn't you get it?"
    B "I don't know, I haven't gotten up to check the fax machine yet"

The new rule that we can't eat lunch at our desks.

The women who refuse to sit on the toilet, they must hover over it and pee on it. Then not cleaning it up.

The people who insist on silence in the workplace. (My music is on low!)

Stupid zoning inspector who decides he can plan now- but basically just wants to ignore the ordinance and let people run convenience stores out of their garages

My coworker who came in, despite having a fever and throwing up, cuz he had to go to that meeting. Then saying over and over again "man, i hate to expose people to this."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Yesterday:
    The women who refuse to sit on the toilet, they must hover over it and pee on it. Then not cleaning it up.
    I was wondering when someone would mention this one. They know they pee all over the seat so they sure don't want to sit in someone else's dried up pee mess.

Other irritations

*endless one-sided talking (that can be measured in hours)

*office romances - Way too much drama and I don't give a crap.

*people talking about their personal lives, specifically romantic dilemmas, money, politics, religion, personal habits (sex, drugs, etc.) - I don't mind two people talking about a relationship or church or whatever, but when a room is full and everyone is listening, STOP. Talking about families, children, spouses, is fine, I just don't want to hear the sordid details about any of it. It will just turn into a pi$$ing contest between everyone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    When people talk to their kids (I'm talking under 3 or 4 year s old) in the ridiculously annoying baby talk. I want to record it and hack into their voice mail and put it down as their announcement. That would be great.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post

The people who insist on silence in the workplace. (My music is on low!)
    [Channeling Milton] They-they said I could play my radio at a reasonable volume... [/Channeling Milton]

adding another:

The damn men's restroom on my floor smells like dried dog pee all the time. I honestly wonder if it ever gets thoroughly cleaned.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Engineers?

Dang I'm glad I don't work with many of you. You seem like you don't want to talk to anyone or try to get to nkow anyone in your office. Stay in your little cubicles and type away like a little hermit crab. That sounds like an office of engineers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AugieDog View post
    Dang I'm glad I don't work with many of you. You seem like you don't want to talk to anyone or try to get to nkow anyone in your office. Stay in your little cubicles and type away like a little hermit crab. That sounds like an office of engineers.
    I'm just saying I don't want to hear about my boss taking her boyfriend's virginity or his subsequent herpes treatments. That's all.

Registered
    May 2004
    I suspect most people here are friendlier in person at work than they might appear in this thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh... I thought of something that annoys me: when people leave food for months on end in the communal fridge. It's so gross. I have been an offender on occasion, so I guess I annoy myself!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ack, I am the only planner in a huge office of engineers! They are "different". I am very shy but once I get to know my co-workers, I enjoy the daily interaction. I just don't like rude, pushy people.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Are you kidding? Engineers don't sit in their cubicles and type away like hermit crabs! They make valuable contributions to reality by sitting together in conference rooms and "brain-storming" or "thinking out of the box". Combined with at least 1 meeting every other hour, this can make for very stressful days. Trust me, I know - I am an engineer who worked with the above mentioned lot, and I actually spent all my time trying to wheedle out of useless meetings!

So there.

Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I'm just saying I don't want to hear about my boss taking her boyfriend's virginity or his subsequent herpes treatments. That's all.
    Tresmo? Are you a fellow Purdue grad? Go Boilers!!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 11 Jan 2007 at 8:37 AM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Let's add blatant racist remarks and slurs to the list.
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The micro-managing boss.

Actually, thanks to the deskfort, if I hear somebody walking down the hall looking for me I can make a quick escape.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I got in trouble for swearing at work the other day. It is very unprofessional in the work place. Then, today, the manager who said that referred to her "bad-ass painkillers."

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 4:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 9:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 3:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 2:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 3:37 PM