Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Okay okay... I have another one.

How about that special jerk in town who hates planning anyway, then runs around spreading false information to everyone right around the end of the planning process, and fills the room with angry people at the public hearing who won't listen to the truth?

Anyone know that guy?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Okay okay... I have another one.

How about that special jerk in town who hates planning anyway, then runs around spreading false information to everyone right around the end of the planning process, and fills the room with angry people at the public hearing who won't listen to the truth?

Anyone know that guy?
    Here's the plan: we introduce this guy to the activist woman in my community, they hit it off, get married, and move to North Dakota? Win-win-win!!!

Of course, this will break Rumpy's heart.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Work, work in general...especially on Fridays...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Bad projects being seen as good ones by the political leadership.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Okay, I have had a chance to sink my teeth into this one.

Seems much of these have been mentioned previously, but I'll add greater detail and a little "ZMan Flair" to the mix:

I work in cubeville, and have my own work phone line. Sometimes, when I am pressed for time and need to finish something unfettered or if I step away from my desk for a cup of coffee or to grab some copies, I do not answer my phone. What really chaps my ass is when folks call my direct line and when they don’t get an answer, they phone the main office line and then ask for me. Normally, if I need uninterrupted work time, I tell my admin staff that “I am not here…” and they understand and deflect the second phone call to my voicemail. But sometimes, when I step away from my desk and come back in a couple minutes, the second call comes through making me look like someone who is avoiding certain developers. But I guess I just don’t like to audacity of some people. Some people with whom I work seem to think that they need to get to me RIGHT NOW and that they cannot leave a message and wait for a response. I don’t know… just something that bothers me.

Another thing is all the personal cell phone use going on. Ringers with the volume set to “Rock Concert” that chime from every cubicle around me. And then the conversations out in the open. Now, I have a great coworker on our admin staff, but damned if she is on the horn with friends and family for most of the day… at her desk (up at the front of the office) while sometimes customers and citizens wait. More folks around the office are just tied to their phones as well. Now, I carry a cell phone myself, but it is off during work hours (I don’t much like talking on the phone to begin with) and I certainly wouldn’t be talking on it while in the office working at my desk. Just sends a different message I suppose.

Now onto my last “thing” and I know that some Engineers peek into the forums and are members (so I apologize in advance), but I am beginning to think about getting into consulting to bring some social skills to this bunch. I have been working as an intermediary between a developer and the water engineers. Seems the developer is platting easements and water needs them to be exclusive. It has been like pulling teeth to have the engineers here tell the developer exactly what they need and why these easements have to be exclusive, but they cannot. So now I have been trying to formulate an explanation to placate the developer and hopefully finish my plat, but as soon as I try to explain this rigmarole (forwarding my explanation to the water department first for revision), I get chastised for even trying to “think and talk like an engineer”… meanwhile it seems that I am the only one here trying to provide a “dumbed-down” explanation to please the developer and help him out. Also, the whole setup that Planning is frontline for questions regarding any project works pretty well. As a government planner, I am more of a project manager for the city than anything, and I understand spearheading many aspect of the development review process. But, what I experience is that when I refer a developer to an engineer for an answer to a question I am not qualified to give, I get in trouble (or at least get a nasty email sent to the Planning Manager) for putting the engineer on the spot. BUT, if I try to answer the question myself, I get into trouble once again.

Damned if I do, and damned if I don’t, I guess.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2006

Daily Irritants

A co-worker came to work today with influenza and kept coughing with his mouth open. There is no prize for overachievers such as this. Just dirty looks.

Mod: Please edit thread title. It's late.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    My list of office pet hates:

Babies brought in, women go weak
    Fat ones complaining about being fat whilst troughing on a bag of crisps
    Incessant novelty mobile phone ringtones
    Waiting for your job to come out of the printer, before realising after 20 minutes the paper has run out

Registered
    May 2002
    Loud conversations from the doorway of the office next to mine.
    Websense web filtering software.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    My list of office pet hates:

Babies brought in, women go weak
    Fat ones complaining about being fat whilst troughing on a bag of crisps
    Incessant novelty mobile phone ringtones
    Waiting for your job to come out of the printer, before realising after 20 minutes the paper has run out
    Incessant novelty mobile phone ringtones - I HATE this... when the latest rap song plays every half hour (and no one is there to answer the thing!) or the older guys dowloading 'Purple Haze' for a ring tone (don't they know that causes me to flashback?)

Waiting for your job to come out of the printer - I HATE this... but I have a variation...You are waiting for your print job, you have to have it NOW, only to find out that someone has printed the largest .pdf in history...and it's some personal thing or another!

And I will add... People who leave me phone messages after 5:00 pm wanting to know why I am not there...(because you d**head, I have a life!)
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    attacking squirrels are daily irritants here. Why did i ever put out food for those destructive varmints.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    A co-worker came to work today with influenza and kept coughing with his mouth open. There is no prize for overachievers such as this. Just dirty looks.

Mod: Please edit thread title. It's late.
    Moderator note:
    Thread merged with a very similar and recent thread.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Driving irritants probably deserve their very own thread but since I spend several hours most weeks on the road, I'll add the following:
    - Two empty lanes at a red light, one straight and the other straight/right turn. Never fails I get behind some hero who stops in the right lane and wants to go straight (and naturally enough I need to turn right)!
    - People who decelerate on the expressway well in advance of reaching the deceleration lane!
    - People who slow down in anticipation of a yellow light!!!!!
    - Drivers with cell phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - People who don’t turn right on red (where the hexx are these drivers from? Right on red’s gotta be a law in all 50 states!)

I was venting my spleen once about these sorts of driving irritants and someone had the cheek to tell me “what’s the big deal? In each of those cases you were only delayed a few seconds – maybe a minute or two at most if you missed a light.” I advised this individual that while what he suggested may be true, he was only looking at the small picture. When one considers just how many hours one spends over a lifetime inside automobiles you begin to discover that those seconds and minutes add up and you end up spending weeks of your life waiting at red lights thanks to these yahoos. Time is the commodity by which one’s existence is measured and those people took that time away from you just as effectively as if they had chopped your head off 90 days in advance of your Check Out date!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    TV news channel from Kzoo that comes down here to talk about a "conterversial" fence ordinance that is less restrictive than many cities our size. They then air at 5 and 6 basically saying we are making people remove fences, which is absolutely not true and we made sure that was clear. They then say they will be at the public hearing and never show. Basically it must have been a slow news day so they came here to stir up crap and then leave town.

People that come to see me, find I am on the phone (work related) and stand in my doorway waiting for me to be done. I usually tell them it will be a minute, and to have a seat, and then take my time with the phone call...

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Our color printer takes 4 days to produce a simple document. No $h!+.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    <schnip>
    I was venting my spleen once about these sorts of driving irritants and someone had the cheek to tell me “what’s the big deal? In each of those cases you were only delayed a few seconds – maybe a minute or two at most if you missed a light.” I advised this individual that while what he suggested may be true, he was only looking at the small picture. When one considers just how many hours one spends over a lifetime inside automobiles you begin to discover that those seconds and minutes add up and you end up spending weeks of your life waiting at red lights thanks to these yahoos. Time is the commodity by which one’s existence is measured and those people took that time away from you just as effectively as if they had chopped your head off 90 days in advance of your Check Out date!
    Off-topic:
    When I had a commute longer than my present 4 minutes, this ticked me off too. Way back when, I was delayed at a signal by a driver that just wasn't in a hurry. I was getting pretty honked off. About a minute or so later, some kid illegally -- and at a high rate of speed -- passed cars in the oncoming lane I would have been in had it not been for the slow poke in front of me. It was a "there but for the grace of God" kind of thing that's stuck with me.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Off-topic:
    When I had a commute longer than my present 4 minutes, this ticked me off too. Way back when, I was delayed at a signal by a driver that just wasn't in a hurry. I was getting pretty honked off. About a minute or so later, some kid illegally -- and at a high rate of speed -- passed cars in the oncoming lane I would have been in had it not been for the slow poke in front of me. It was a "there but for the grace of God" kind of thing that's stuck with me.
    Off-topic:
    Ahhh, but that's only half the equation in the Great Space-Time Wheel of Karmic Eventualities. What about all those instances where people get creamed in rear-end collisions near stop lights? Wouldn't their fates be different if they'd not been delayed and made it through the light and out of harm's way at that moment?

Registered
    May 2005
    People who constantly apologize for everything they do. Stop saying you're sorry....it's really not that big a deal you took that last [insert office supply].

People who say "How is [insert name] today", instead of actually saying "How are you today". Like I don't know what my name is.

In the year 2007, people who don't have basic office skills (printer, copier, fax, computer,) but yet choose to work in an office setting. And I was not the person who hired them.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    an office that has no policy or procedure manuals for anything and when you explain industry standards are told that is not how we do it here.

example

what colour should commercial be on a land use map? answer = a shade of red, here = blue.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Ahhh, but that's only half the equation in the Great Space-Time Wheel of Karmic Eventualities. What about all those instances where people get creamed in rear-end collisions near stop lights? Wouldn't their fates be different if they'd not been delayed and made it through the light and out of harm's way at that moment?
    Off-topic:
    So I happily go through some 30 years of life under a perfectly good set of presumptions and you come along and ruin it all. Sorry I posted it in the first place.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2006
    He's there again today. Coughing and sputtering all over the friggin place. Coming into my office and touching my stuff. I literally feel like a small trapped animal and I finally said please, I have a my 3 year old neice coming in for the weekend, stay away from me. I had to hand him a document and a few minutes later he tried to hand it back to me and I politely asked him to keep it until Monday. Is this excessive?
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it might've been mentioned but i work in a cube. it drives me batty when i'm obviously working on something and a co-worker just walks up to me and starts talking. duh!! can you see that i'm knee deep in staff reports?

i'll ditto whoever mentioned the racist slurs.

people who withhold information for no other reason but control.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The office walker/talker who wanders around looking for busy victims to assault with inanities.

Oh, and going over four years without a promotion. I find that more than a little irritating.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    He's there again today. Coughing and sputtering all over the friggin place. Coming into my office and touching my stuff. I literally feel like a small trapped animal and I finally said please, I have a my 3 year old neice coming in for the weekend, stay away from me. I had to hand him a document and a few minutes later he tried to hand it back to me and I politely asked him to keep it until Monday. Is this excessive?
    When I worked for a probate court we used to keep the Clorox wet wipes and Lysol spray at hand for people that would come in and cough all over the counter and what not. We would make a show by disinfecting the place while the offender was present.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004

The Drama Queens

It's the drama queens that drive me crazy. The power hungry, back stabbing drama queens that really get to me. I hate them. I won't even get into the sexual harrassment that see some of the young women put up with. When I mention things to them that it's against the personnel policy, they look at me like I'm from Mars.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    ! emails... makes me want to ignore them... because they usually aren't more important!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM