Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    Nov 2009
    People who cough and clear throat every 20 secs for weeks on end and never cover up their mouth when they do so despite repeatedly being asked to.

"Oh, I am not sick I just have allergies". Oh, I do not care, cover your mouth nasty.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone else have coworkers who simply refuse to follow the dress code? We have been told over and over that jeans and non-business attire are not appropriate at the office and, yet, we have a few employees who fall back into wearing jeans everyday after a few months. This triggers the office lecture on proper attire again which seems to get more and more strict each time. We use to be permitted to wear sandals, but they are about to get banned because some people simply cannot refrain from wearing $2 rubber flip-flops and jeans.

It would be more efficient to just pull the offending employees aside and tell them to dress appropriately, but I have realized that this will not happen. One person breaks an office rule, we all get the lecture.

How does your office, or how do you, handle this situation?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    It would be more efficient to just pull the offending employees aside and tell them to dress appropriately, but I have realized that this will not happen. One person breaks an office rule, we all get the lecture.

How does your office, or how do you, handle this situation?
    Personally I would shun the offenders

Although knowing that may wreak havoc on personal/professional relationships, peer pressure might be a better solution. In our dept there is no such thing as casual Friday or 'Jeans' day or anything 'fun' so I feel your pain.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We also do not have a casual day or anything like that. I have no idea how people can show up to the office in jeans and ripped clothing and sit next to people who are dressed respectably and not feel like big losers

Registered
    Feb 2007
    We also do not have a casual day or anything like that. I have no idea how people can show up to the office in jeans and ripped clothing and sit next to people who are dressed respectably and not feel like big losers
    I don't see anything wrong with jeans and a collared shirt on friday and shoes (a decent looking pair at best). It just depends on the type of jeans you wear (not the ripped looks like they are about to come off either).
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm down with casual Fridays. The problem is that we do not observe them in this office and that the dress code offenders wear ripped up jeans and cheap slippas everyday. Monday? jeans and a Tshirt. Tuesday? jeans and a floral shirt thing.

This behavior is making it so the rest of us who do dress appropriately are being subjected to stricter and stricter dress codes. So, despite the fact that I wear nice slacks and a blouse, I can no longer wear nice sandals with them because jack-o-mc-ripped-jeans cannot manage to dress like a grown up

The thing that I don't appreciate is that the stricter dress code is only affecting those of us who already follow the rules. The ones breaking the rules slip back into their sloppy habits in a few months.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    It is only 8:30am and I can already tell today is going to be one of those Office Space days. You know the scene where Peter complains that he has however many bosses coming by to talk to him about something and how irritating that is? Well, I have 2 bosses that, for reasons unknown to me, do not communicate with one another very often. Instead, I get "go ask so and so about this" and I end up going back and forth across the office with messages. Or, like today, Boss No.1 tells me we weren't going to do something for reasons xyz and now Boss No. 2 saying we should be doing this because of reasons xyz and why on earth aren't you doing it? Sigh. Communication: It is how people know what you are thinking and how you express thoughts and exchange ideas. Phones/Email/Speaking: It is one of the many forms of communication available to you.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    It is only 8:30am and I can already tell today is going to be one of those Office Space days. You know the scene where Peter complains that he has however many bosses coming by to talk to him about something and how irritating that is? Well, I have 2 bosses that, for reasons unknown to me, do not communicate with one another very often. Instead, I get "go ask so and so about this" and I end up going back and forth across the office with messages. Or, like today, Boss No.1 tells me we weren't going to do something for reasons xyz and now Boss No. 2 saying we should be doing this because of reasons xyz and why on earth aren't you doing it? Sigh. Communication: It is how people know what you are thinking and how you express thoughts and exchange ideas. Phones/Email/Speaking: It is one of the many forms of communication available to you.
    sounds like someone has a case of the mondays...
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    You have no idea!

Registered
    May 2005
    Anyone have any experience with local government offices that require their hourly employees to "punch-in"? We're apparently getting some key fob system for the 8 hourly employees in the office. As a salaried employee, I think it's ridiculous, both logistically and as a way to further alienate good employees.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Anyone have any experience with local government offices that require their hourly employees to "punch-in"? We're apparently getting some key fob system for the 8 hourly employees in the office. As a salaried employee, I think it's ridiculous, both logistically and as a way to further alienate good employees.
    Yes, because it's a liability issue for the employer in the even of a wage or workman's comp claim among other things.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    A certain national home builder is on my s-list today as they waited until 3PM eastern time this afternoon to turn in special event permits and temp sign permits for a an event that is tomorrow. I'm going to try, but I can't promise anything as other depts have to comment. They are lucky I didn't turn them away, but its been advertised in the paper for weeks, and its probably going to happen whether we issue a permit or not.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    A certain national home builder is on my s-list today as they waited until 3PM eastern time this afternoon to turn in special event permits and temp sign permits for a an event that is tomorrow. I'm going to try, but I can't promise anything as other depts have to comment. They are lucky I didn't turn them away, but its been advertised in the paper for weeks, and its probably going to happen whether we issue a permit or not.
    Take tomorrow off. That way it never happened.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Take tomorrow off. That way it never happened.
    One of the best planning profs I've ever had listed "Play Dumb" as a defense tactic for planners.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There was this BZA meeting. I knew what was going to occur. I chose to get sick that evening. One of the best choices I ever made.

Registered
    May 2005
    Our microwave is a POS.
    Have I mentioned our microwave is a POS?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Most irritating behavior to me is anyone around me who doesn't act like i need them or expect them to.

Also people who are god squaders and have to work their religous stance into a conversation and or who praise the lord when something goes right for them.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we have a punch card for hourly non-exempt employees - so my staff punches in and out but I do not - I really don't like it, it makes employees feel like they are working at a beer factory (which might be more fun)

Registered
    Feb 2011
    People who send an e-mail then walk in to your office, ask if you received it, and want to start a discussion re the e-mail.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Leaving chocolate cake out on the break room table.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    <snip> it makes employees feel like they are working at a beer factory (which might be more fun)
    Flashbacks of Laverne and Shirley!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Do you know what I can't stand? The gossip of people who are chained to desks who resent the fact that not everyone is. (We don't have a punch out system). I am a one-man show. Nobody covers for me when I'm out. I'm usually out for a reason and even when I'm just on vacation the world finds me and demands answers on my blackberry.

AAAARGGHHH I hate gossip-y desk urchins who hate planners!!!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Have I mentioned our microwave is a POS?
    A previous place of employment liked to talk about providing positively outstanding service to our customers. We also had a point of sale system. At one memorable department meeting, one of my co-workers got up and said: "We're supposed to give our customers POS. How can we do that when our POS system is a POS?" One of the best meetings ever.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Which reminded me of this:

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Which reminded me of this:

Me! Me! Me!

+ Reply to thread
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM