Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    May 2005
    Contracted Building Inspectors who don't show up for an inspection when they're supposed to, even after we leave scheduling notes telling them when to show up.

I don't like being cursed at by the homeowner.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Today's daily irritant:

People who repeat what you've already done, instead of what they're supposed to be doing.

...and then claim they are doing something different.
    Last edited by Mud Princess; 30 Nov 2011 at 2:33 PM. Reason: update

Registered
    Aug 2005
    People who, for no apparent reason, disable formulas in spreadsheets.

*throat punch*

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Office heat runs until it's about 76, then the a/c kicks in until it's about 64. Over and over and over.. Outside temp is 58, why is the &*(^@ a/c running anyway?.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    When the fiscal department makes construction decisions. Don't think or decide, just pay the invoices submitted.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Nepotism...

and coworkers dating eachother...

and the usage of town trucks to buy chewing tobacco from the drive thru liquor store (where it is 30 cents cheaper) prompting busiy bodies to flood our phones with calls...

(The boss left early... all compliants now go to my phone...)
    Last edited by zman; 30 Nov 2011 at 5:27 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I just work next to two women who gossip literally all day long. They get worked up about every little thing so most people avoid coming back to this area of the office unless they have to.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    ZONING CONFIRMATION LETTERS!

Instead of looking zoning up on our website you want me to fill out a 6 page form asking about variances and conditional permits going back 10 years? The answer si - the building is fine, period. This takes 30 minutes and they never ever say please or thank you.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Name Dropping

We have a couple people who come in for permits regularly for THE Merle Haggard... I only knew who he was from watching a classic country compilation.
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    ZONING CONFIRMATION LETTERS!

Instead of looking zoning up on our website you want me to fill out a 6 page form asking about variances and conditional permits going back 10 years? The answer si - the building is fine, period. This takes 30 minutes and they never ever say please or thank you.
    That's why we charge $100 per letter
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    That's why we charge $100 per letter
    Agreed. We charge $110 for the letters. Also, if they want to look up permits for the property that is free. We just have 10 business days to do the research.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kltoomians View post
    We have a couple people who come in for permits regularly for THE Merle Haggard... I only knew who he was from watching a classic country compilation.
    You don't have to call me Merle Haggard anymore. You never even call me by my name.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2002
    Zoning letters. Quesions about sign requirements. People who walk in the door with hand drawn pictures of their property saying, "What can I do with my land?" Phone calls from people who need to talk to Building Inspection instead of us.

Oh yeah, as I write this, I can add people who schedule a meeting and then aren't there half an hour later.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    By BOC request, I have to deal with a person who wants to keep a goat and a chicken on his property (150' x 180') for organic food supply for his family (fresh eggs, goat's milk & cheese) instead of a $250,000 grant application and plan review for a new business. That's priority today.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2009
    How does everyone here handle assisting coworkers/employees who have not kept up with technology?

There is a gentleman in my office who is near retirement and he interrupts my work frequently, sometimes several times per day, to help him with the most rudimentary of operations, like removing or inserting a jpg from word document, adjusting table margins, or selecting pages in adobe. I have tried very hard to be patient and understanding. I have shown him how to do these things several times over the last 3 years. He will never learn. Now, instead of trying to understand anything on his computer, whenever he hits a snag he comes to me for help. At first it was, "can you help me with this?" or "how do you (fill in the blank)?" Now, it is, "I need you to (fill in the blank)".
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    How does everyone here handle assisting coworkers/employees who have not kept up with technology? .... At first it was, "can you help me with this?" or "how do you (fill in the blank)?" Now, it is, "I need you to (fill in the blank)".
    "Sorry, terribly busy right now." Repeat as needed.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    "Sorry, terribly busy right now." Repeat as needed.
    I've tried that. He just stands there and stares at me. I feel bad for him, but at the same time I don't. I would have learned it rather than rely on others to do my work.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I've tried that. He just stands there and stares at me. I feel bad for him, but at the same time I don't. I would have learned it rather than rely on others to do my work.
    While he's staring, just turn your back and make it clear with body language that you really are too busy. Just because he's nearing retirement does not justify his pawning his work off onto others.

We have someone in the office who compains constantly about "the noise levels of others"; however, she is going deaf so every conversation - phone or in person - has to be at top volume. The 4 of us who work near her have already informed the boss that we are at our last nerve, and that we have lost our ability to care about her "rules of office behavior" which center around her. I am so hoping for a banhammer!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2002
    How does everyone here handle assisting coworkers/employees who have not kept up with technology?

There is a gentleman in my office who is near retirement and he interrupts my work frequently, sometimes several times per day, to help him with the most rudimentary of operations, like removing or inserting a jpg from word document, adjusting table margins, or selecting pages in adobe. I have tried very hard to be patient and understanding. I have shown him how to do these things several times over the last 3 years. He will never learn. Now, instead of trying to understand anything on his computer, whenever he hits a snag he comes to me for help. At first it was, "can you help me with this?" or "how do you (fill in the blank)?" Now, it is, "I need you to (fill in the blank)".
    As an older Cyburbian - though nowhere near retirement age - I guess I am a little more sympathetic, looking towards the day when I will be in your co-worker's situation. But I also sympathize with you and having to deal with constant interruptions (that would drive me crazy, too!).

What about your other co-workers? Could they be pressed into helping him out?

I would also make it clear, the next time you show him how to do something, that you can't keep coming to his aid -- he needs to learn to do these things himself, whether that means writing down your instructions or reading a Word for Dummies book or taking a training course.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I work with someone who considers herself to be a GIS tech but barely knows how to use the software. Someone has to create an .mxd for her to work off of since she doesn't know how to add or change around data. She's definitely one of those old timers though. She was hired to draw maps 30 years ago but obviously that skill has been replaced with GIS but she does not know how to use it. I doubt she's actually drawn a map in well over a decade.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You don't have to call me Merle Haggard anymore. You never even call me by my name.
    That's David Allen Coe. I met him once... it's an interesting story.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    That's David Allen Coe. I met him once... it's an interesting story.
    You're right, it is. It's just when ever I heard the name, the line in the song pops into my head.

My story meeting DAC is not interesting and I didn't know at the time who he was/is.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You're right, it is. It's just when ever I heard the name, the line in the song pops into my head.

My story meeting DAC is not interesting and I didn't know at the time who he was/is.
    A friend and I went to see him in a little roadhouse in Arkansas. We were having some beer, and I've always liked a song of his called "Panheads Forever." Well, I shouted out a couple times (maybe it was more), "play Panheads!" But he never did the song. Since we knew the owner of the place, we went backstage so my buddy could get his album signed. Just in passing I said...

"Don't you do Panheads Forever in concert?" Oh man, you could see icicles form in the room.

"Was that you screaming at me after every song, you little ****? Did you think after the first dozen times I wasn't going to ******* play it!?"

I was just speechless, and the roadies all had their arms crossed. I thought I was going to get beat to death. Then Coe grabs his guitar, plays the song and sings the first verse and the chorus. Then he says, "There, you ******* happy? I'd really hate for someone to not get their moneys worth at my concert." Then the whole place just busts up laughing and we ended up passing around a big jug of Jack. It was an interesting night, for sure.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    How about when the Mayor brings his daughter in... loses track of her... and she runs around the office bothering us minions...

Just sayin'...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The Fiscal Department telling me that they don't have to give me a copy of invoices received that I am expected to submit payment requests for
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM