Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The business developer here walking around the office making smart a$$ comments to everyone. The comment directed at me today was "Are you still here? I need to schedule a meeting for you so you won't be here." Then he just walked away. WTF?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Incessant calls to next cube from 'Sweetie' who calls direct line...cell phone...direct line...ad infinitum. Meanwhile, the cubie never seems to remember to take his cell phone with him when he leaves his desk. He wonders why it seems to shut itself off when he's gone but he's lucky that I haven't flushed the damn thing! And yes, we have all told him how Effn irritating it is.

Registered
    May 2005
    How about the citizen who thinks that you really want to help them, but in all reality you'd like to tell them to shut the F up and you're only helping them because you were directed too.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I don't assume anyone is actually following this story, but the man who has been sick w/influenza all week had his kid and granddaughter stop into the office today for a visit. They are both sick too since they all live together. The hospital gave his son a mask to wear. WHY ARE THEY COMING IN AND BREATHING ON THE REST OF US??????? Can I file a biohazard grievance?
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We had a bummer of a report on flextime, shifting work hours for emergencies, etc. Our dept director is such a scared weenie. MAYBE HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT IT HURTS MORALE IF EVERYONE ELSE (COUNTY EMPLOYEES) IS FLEXING BUT WE CAN'T???

Registered
    Aug 2005
    LOUD TALKERS. WTF? i'm standing/sitting right next to you, you don't need to scream in my ear. what's worse is when we're in a car together and his voice just bounces off all the surfaces and lands in my ears.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    There are a lot of things I can tune out at the office: loud talkers, loud chewers (why does everyone snack on crunchy things?), cell phone conversations and even adjacent conversations about mindless nothing. We have an open-office environment (no cubes or offices) so you learn pretty quick to focus on your stuff and ignore everything else (noise-wise).

What irritates me is more an attitude, rather than an action. One guy in our group thinks that he is the Most Important Person dealing with a particular client. Therefore, in order to maintain his Status, he does not dissiminate information, does not update other staff on developments, and does not like (in fact, discourages) communication between the different groups dealing with a client.

This act only hurts us as a group, because Only He Knows What Is Going On, and therefore the rest of us look like idiots to the client. Then, when he's out sick, the client wants answers, and we are winging it. I wonder if he realizes that this attitude has irritated not only people in this office, but a couple of people in our headquarters, as well. I bet he sees it as job security.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    LOUD TALKERS. WTF? i'm standing/sitting right next to you, you don't need to scream in my ear. what's worse is when we're in a car together and his voice just bounces off all the surfaces and lands in my ears.
    I'm agree with you on this. Also related is the Close Talker, especially after they have had something pungent to eat. All I wanna say is "You are invading my personal space."
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Working out of my house, the daily irritants are minimal... BUT how 'bout those people who incessantly forward jokes, announcements, humorous news items and other unsolicited crap via e-mail?

This morning I had a ton of e-mail... only to find that an unnamed close relative had forwarded me something like 15 items in a row. And she never removes the FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: stuff so I can see the names of the 5,839 other people who have been circulating this crap. It's like spam, only it's from people you know. One or two is ok, but there comes a point where you don't want anymore. Like I have nothing better to do during the day but read this stuff!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    people who seem to ignore social cues like people covering their ears because they don't want to hear about disturbing subjects like animal cruelty. and keep yapping about the subject even though other people say things like, "please stop talking about this subject it is making so & so uncomfortable."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    How bout the developer who just can't accept the fact that sometimes the elected officials vote against their project. It's not my job to explain the actions of the decision makers.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Who in their right mind would get mad at someone for trying to help them?

I got yelled at for trying to help open the mail that my surveys are coming back for the Comprehensive Plan.

They were sent out with landfill bills so she was screaming that there was money in them....

Right like I am going to take the survey and chuck the money in the trash or out the window. Come on just how stupid am I...???
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my one co-worker drives me nuts!!!

she just told another two co-workers to move away from her desk because they were talking and she couldn't concentrate. meanwhile she is one of the biggest yakkers in the entire office. i get so much more work done when she isn't in the office.

she also refuses to change anything, what she does, how she does it, why she does it. "blah blah blah, i've done it this way for 10 years. i'm not going to change it now. blah blah blah." *shudder*

patience is a virtue. i am a tolerant person. it takes all kinds of people. maybe if i keep repeating that it will make my life easier.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

ahem...

negative people suck

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Incessant calls to next cube from 'Sweetie' who calls direct line...cell phone...direct line...ad infinitum. Meanwhile, the cubie never seems to remember to take his cell phone with him when he leaves his desk. He wonders why it seems to shut itself off when he's gone but he's lucky that I haven't flushed the damn thing! And yes, we have all told him how Effn irritating it is.
    Put it at the bottom of the trash can... in the break room.

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I'm agree with you on this. Also related is the Close Talker, especially after they have had something pungent to eat. All I wanna say is "You are invading my personal space."
    How about just handing them a breath mint...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jun 2005
    How about the fact there is no hot cute boys to perve on around here

Stupid real estate agents that place an add in the paper indicating people can build something on a block, which they really cant
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Everyone generally gets along with everyone else at my firm (no office politics because we are too busy trying to get our projects done). However, I have a few things:

1. people who barely say so much as hi to me once a week/couple of weeks, then come into my office ask me how i'm doing, and solicit candybars to raise money for their kid's soccer, football, etc. (I won't bite, but you have to do a little more than put on a happy face when you want me to give you money).

2. My green thumb works better at home than in the office. We have some very exotic houseplants/native plants in the office (considering we have landscape architects, wetland scientists and ecologists on staff). I have very very picky, spoiled brats who demand constant attention. I wiped out nearly 90% of a 20 year old 10 foot tall fig tree. The 8 foot money tree plant I bought a few months ago LOVES to turn yellow and replace it's canopy all the time (a couple of landscape architects tell me to throw it out). I have repotted plants in 14"-16" pots (while wearing business casual), staked them, changed their soil, put in peat moss, all to no avail. I also take care of few species of spider plants and dragon trees in the next office which are also demanding. Oddly enough, I have about 10 different types of houseplants that I grow under timed florescents at home and they are doing great. I learned LA's know less about plant material, especially indoor plants, than you think.

3. the girl who refuses to buy a car, and uses the company car for personal reasons.

4. people who use foul language at work, even casually.

i can't really think of anything more than that, guess i am very lucky

Using speakerphone, jacked up so people ten cubes away can hear, when you're having a one-on-one conversation. Pick up the handset. That's why it's detachable to begin with!

Oh, yes, and the fact that the sign on the door clearly lists our business hours, but yet people insist upon pounding non-stop upon the door a half hour before we open. No, it won't make the clock go faster, but it will make us crankier when we finally do open.

And one more: People who answer a question with a question. "Did you finish that project I needed you to do?" "When did I say it would be done?" Don't waste my time! Just answer the question, yes or no!

Next time someone tries that, I'm just going to tell them: "Syntax error, unexpected string. Abort, retry, fail?"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    When there's so many people talking all at once that you can't hear on the phone and can't even hear yourself think.

There's times when there's like multiple people at the counter helping multiple residents, a couple people laughing loudly and slacking off, and everyone else on the phone (all lines busy) and you can't hear a damn word someone's saying when you're on the phone with them and can't even type it's so distracting.

Then, the office will be dead silent. That's how it's like around here...either super-busy or super-dead.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    "Syntax error, unexpected string. Abort, retry, fail?"
    now that is pretty funny - I must remember that!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    Using speakerphone, jacked up so people ten cubes away can hear, when you're having a one-on-one conversation.
    That one is easy! Go by their area and say something loudly to them. "How was the trip to the free clinic, Phil? Can they fix it? Oh, you're on the phone... sorry!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I have a friend who was a notorious loud talker for years. Everyone talked about it, but not to him - just running joke among friends. A few years ago, turned out he has a hearing problem he was never aware of. Doh! We all felt pretty insensitive. He is a bit quieter now...

I also worked for a guy who was a pacer and procrastinator. He would come into my office unannounced and pace around talking himself out of or into various projects (mostly out of as he did not really want to do more than the minimum) for sometimes more than an hour at a time, using me as a sounding board. It got to the point where I would just not say anything, look nervously at my computer to indicate I had some time sensitive issues to deal with, and try other not-so-subtle cues, but he was totally oblivious. I ended up leaving the job due in no small part to this annoying behavior. Plus, he was the BOSS - who the hell can I complain to about it?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There's always one person who bums cigarettes off everyone else, constantly. I've quit carrying the pack when I go outside. Unfortunately, that means LadyBuc gets hit up all the time by this person. (I know, I know, no sympathy for smokers....)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    How about the guy who was supposed to tell you something in order to get what you were working on finished but delayed by two hours and when the person who told him called me asking where his stuff was I look stupid. I went and asked and got an "oh sorry I forgot." BS....and cost me two extra hours at work tonight to play in-house Kinkos.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ugh the loud lady is going off the charts this am...I could hear her before I even came in the office And she is complaining about having a head ache-DUH the rest of us have one now

Oh boy others have joined in now and its like being in a high school lunch room, throw in the Nextels and cell phones and I would think we would violate our own noise ordinance.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM