Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1122

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It irritates me when people say, "Give me a call." Umm, what are your fingers broken? If it is that important to you then you pick up the d@mn phone.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    It irritates me when people say, "Give me a call." Umm, what are your fingers broken? If it is that important to you then you pick up the d@mn phone.
    Or when they email you to tell you to give them a call. Fingers work on the telephone keypad as well as they do on the keyboard.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Or when they email you to tell you to give them a call. Fingers work on the telephone keypad as well as they do on the keyboard.
    As a private consultant, when i wanted to discuss things that didn't leave a paper trail, i asked clients to call me. Obviously i wouldn't jog notes either
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Amen! That irritates me with friends, too. When they tell me to give them a call, I don't. Of course, I don't consider them to be good friends. I have to watch that attitude at work, though.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Today's pet peeve-people who read you a PIN number with wrong breaks-its 1234-56-7890 not 123-456-7890! I have to listen to it two more times to make sure I have the correct PIN because you can't read dashes
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Today's pet peeve-people who read you a PIN number with wrong breaks-its 1234-56-7890 not 123-456-7890! I have to listen to it two more times to make sure I have the correct PIN because you can't read dashes
    What's even more perplexing is when people read off phone numbers with nonsensical pauses as if inserting hyphens......1-23-4567-890. I mean c'mon folks, we all use phone numbers dozens of times a week. Sheesh!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Faust_Motel View post
    Liars.

Specifically applicants who sit across the table from you and lie that you "must have their application on file and gosh they sure are disappointed in the town for losing their materials." Yeah. Except they never filed anything. They have been getting "bottom of the pile" treatment from me since. You want me to lose your application? Fine.
    Liar and answer shoppers drive me nuts. I've have had someone call several different times thinking she was talking to someone different hoping to get the answer she was looking for. This person also reached another staff member, who conveyed the same info I had given.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Liar and answer shoppers drive me nuts. I've have had someone call several different times thinking she was talking to someone different hoping to get the answer she was looking for. This person also reached another staff member, who conveyed the same info I had given.
    That happens all to often.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    answer shoppers drive me nuts. I've have had someone call several different times thinking she was talking to someone different hoping to get the answer she was looking for. This person also reached another staff member, who conveyed the same info I had given.
    Answer shoppers are the worst offenders. Especially those that give each staff person only a partial piece of the puzzle. Usually i end up scheduling a meeting with all staff members involved and answers shopper so that the message seems loud and clear to them.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Answer shoppers are the worst offenders. Especially those that give each staff person only a partial piece of the puzzle. Usually i end up scheduling a meeting with all staff members involved and answers shopper so that the message seems loud and clear to them.
    I think I may dislike answer shoppers more so than property appraisers (sometimes they are one in the same)

Registered
    May 2002
    I've got a coworker that whistles, including making mourning dove sounds. Every time I hear it, I turn my radio up.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    I've got a coworker that whistles, including making mourning dove sounds. Every time I hear it, I turn my radio up.
    I hate....yes, hate.........whistlers.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    quietly making note never to get put in a cubicle within earshot of btrage or Coragus
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    What's driving me crazy is the two flip flop wearers in the office. I love flip flops but not at work. The sound makes me want to punch something. But, on the plus side, at least the sound is an early warning system that my one employee that likes to tell me EVERYTHING she has done all day is coming and I can pretend to be super engrossed in something so she won't linger.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Had a co-worker whose girlfriend/fiancee/wife called multiple times every day. She'd alternate repeatedly between his desk phone and cell phone until he finally answered. He always called her Sweetie so we'd start yelling "Brian, it's Sweetie!" whenever either phone rang.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The HVAC system at work is down till Friday. This building is an old Sears store so there are no windows, thus no air circulation. To top it off, its warm and has been raining all day, so it's very hot and muggy in the building.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I hate when someone leave a message on voice mail and says their phone number really fast. It is especially irksome if they have left a long message. I'm gonna have to run that message a few times to get the number right.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

John Denver workplace playlist

Bumping this for Machete James.

On FB I'd recommended "Pandora plays John Philip Sousa all the time."

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Bumping this for Machete James.

On FB I'd recommended "Pandora plays John Philip Sousa all the time."
    That would make for a fantastic day

--------------------------

I really dislike emails that are written completely in Comic Sans. There is something about that font that bugs me, and apparently I'm not the only one.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    People who have information you need to complete a grant request but won't part with it because it would require them to spend 5 minutes looking it up. Witch.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Some advice: only consider a copy editor with a love for hyphens and parentheses as a member of a committee where the final re-sult will be a docu-ment or comprehensive-plan if you (really) like the writing-style of the 1920s Nineteen-Twenties.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2001

The constant yammering of 2/3 of our GIS staff

It appears that 2 of my department's 3 GIS people are all talk and no action, or putting it more specifically, no work. This combined with an overly laid back manager means we are probably due to have a comically outdated data infrastructure sometime soon unless the one workhorse of the three picks up the slack.

I mean, it's one thing if long-range planners daydream all shift, but GIS and lollygagging are probably not a good mix.

People not responding to messages, emails... and then turn around to question why you'd do something without consulting them.

He said, she said.

Feeling powerless. Sometimes your study/ report got shelved, sometimes undermined by political dealings, sometimes ignored, etc...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I got the stare down, not once, but twice after telling a 75 yo woman that she would have to meet ADA and provide a van accessible parking space at her business. She then proceeded to go down to building inspections to complain or divide and conquer. This has been going on for six weeks...l think she thought if she complained enough we would not make her do it. Sorry...it's the federal law! She will be installing the space, yay for me not breaking!

Registered
    Aug 2009
    I hate when they leave more than one number...I'm just gonna call the first one...

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I hate when someone leave a message on voice mail and says their phone number really fast. It is especially irksome if they have left a long message. I'm gonna have to run that message a few times to get the number right.
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

+ Reply to thread
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM