Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What drives you crazy at work? - daily irritants

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Being stuck at work during the first really nice weather week of the season. Grrrrrrr.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Empty coffee pot or burnt coffee pot.
    Any flavored coffee.
    That somebody not contributing to the coffee supplies.

Some people purposely eating sweets in front of me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You know what we do at the office? We have a list of who brought coffee, and on what date. Then, most people get shamed into bringing coffee when its their turn.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Being stuck at work during the first really nice weather week of the season. Grrrrrrr.....
    Off-topic:
    It's Friday. You have my authorization to blow out early today.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Off-topic:
    It's Friday. You have my authorization to blow out early today.
    That's cool, but I'll stay....I do have Monday off, though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my irritation is Friday is my busiest day of the week - packet day for Council and Planning Board

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    All the WOOFS (Well Off Older FolkS) that come in daily to complain about stuff...

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid
    1. people who barely say so much as hi to me once a week/couple of weeks, then come into my office ask me how i'm doing, and solicit candybars to raise money for their kid's soccer, football, etc. (I won't bite, but you have to do a little more than put on a happy face when you want me to give you money).
    This guy sold me burrito coupons. Never on time with his project comments, but he moves quickly if little Joey's basketball team needs new jocks. The burritos are good though.
    The same goes for incessant emails from folks participating in charity drives.
    Last edited by zman; 15 Jun 2007 at 12:28 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Coworkers that want to chit-chat at the urinals. Give me some peace, dammit!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    people that say "I'm fine" but they are clearly not by their voice tone and arms folding body positions when you ask if they are upset about something

Registered
    Jan 2007
    As odd as it seems to say (well, write) just being at work seems to be an irritant to me. I am always waiting for work to end for 'my life' to begin again. Work itself is almost like a bad commercial break from my real life.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I had to resurrect this thread to vent. My new coworker has a high, girlie voice that's quite irritating, especially since she likes to talk A LOT. Also, this is her first job in 7 yrs since having kids. So naturally, all she talks about is her kids, her husband, and being a mommy. Uhh...excuse me, not everyone is interested.....
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Empty coffee pot or burnt coffee pot.
    I had a co-worker who tried to heat up a bag of pork rinds in the microwave and burned them. We had to open all the doors and turn fans on, people coming down hall complained that the toilets must be backing up. Burned coffee in the pot is perfume in conparison.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    I had to resurrect this thread to vent. My new coworker has a high, girlie voice that's quite irritating, especially since she likes to talk A LOT. Also, this is her first job in 7 yrs since having kids. So naturally, all she talks about is her kids, her husband, and being a mommy. Uhh...excuse me, not everyone is interested.....
    We call those "mombies". Don't let her bite you, you will become one.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I had a co-worker who tried to heat up a bag of pork rinds in the microwave and burned them. We had to open all the doors and turn fans on, people coming down hall complained that the toilets must be backing up. Burned coffee in the pot is perfume in conparison.
    Man.....can you claim some sick time?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    We call those "mombies". Don't let her bite you, you will become one.
    I forgot to mention that she wallpapered her cubicle with pictures of the kiddies.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2006
    We actually have a similar situation. This lady in our office does nothing but brag about her son all bloody day. He's so smart, he's so good looking....bleh. He's such an example for all his friends! She has another son, but as he's apparently an average boy, we don't hear much about him

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I hate people that butt into a conversation you are having with another collegue. Thats frustrating. and rude.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    So I share a somewhat large office with a coworker and we get along great, but.....

.....I'm typically into the office first and when my coworker walks into the shared office, nothing is ever said. Never. No hi, hello, good morning, etc. I'm always the one to initiate conversation such as how are you, how was your evening, how are things going, etc.

Now when I enter a room, I always say something to the person already there. I realize some people just don't like small talk, but it seems really weird, like my coworker is afraid to say something to me. Or maybe the coworker is not a morning person. It just seems weird.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Know those commercials where the guy is crunching on cereal and can't hear anthing that's being said to him. My office mate comes in every morning and gets a plate of dry sugared cereal that she crunches on interminably. Sometimes I want to...

And then washes it down with a diet Coke but that's another story.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I'm (presently) in the wireless biz, so cell phones are a given.

--Ten hours of conference calls every week
    --While I'm on my desk phone, someone will call that number. I WILL NOT interrupt an existing call for a potential one. Getting no answer, the caller then tries my mobile phone (which promptly gets tossed into the desk drawer).
    --During said conference calls, I close my office door. (On the bright side, I have a door!) Invariably one of the office workers, or someone else who works in the company, or a vendor, bursts in through the shut door. "Oh, you're on a call." Duh.
    --Barbie in Ohio sits in on my conference calls (my projects precede hers). She constantly interrupts my call by answering her mobile phone. She won't allow my call to proceed because "she'll only be a minute."
    --When important info is imparted, Barbie doesn't hear it (because she's distracted by other calls/people). Recently she was informed that we would have to move a fence. She heard "tower," ordered new drawings, new due diligence. Pay attention, dammit!
    --Barbie won't read the tracker (RTFT) provided by the vendor. "When did you file for zoning?" I'll reply, on the tracker it says...
    --Barbie keeps her own notes in longhand...on notebook paper....and pages through them during my calls and other discussions. (There are these things called "computers" and you can keep notes on them...then print out updates that are current, and easy to read!)
    --Barbie visits my office to attend to her projects. Last time she was here, she dropped in, flirted with the boyz up front, never even said hello to me.
    --Barbie goes on site walks (on undeveloped property) wearing high-heeled F-M shoes.

--Folks walk around yakking on their Bluetooth headsets, making eye contact with local humans.

--Ceiling speakers broadcasting radio station country bar party music, or (coming next week!) Christmas music. Some co-workers adjust the speakers, making it particularly loud by the front desk or the coffee.

--I wish I had colleagues dropping by my desk to chit-chat (when I'm not on a call). There are only 6 people in this building, and I'm by myself at one leg of a U-shaped space. I live close to downtown (sidewalks! neighbors!) and am stuck working in a Sprawlville office park.
    For entertainment, I took my camera on a walkabout (can see a Target & Costco, can't easily walk there) and posted the hilarious results on Urban Planet.
    http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Wa...es-t29274.html
    Last edited by Veloise; 26 Oct 2007 at 11:54 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    people that say "I'm fine" but they are clearly not by their voice tone and arms folding body positions when you ask if they are upset about something
    Asking in passing 'how ya doin' ' and they proceed to tell you in great detail

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Asking in passing 'how ya doin' ' and they proceed to tell you in great detail
    I don't get why people use "How you doing?" as a greeting when they couldn't care less. I understand that's just what people say, however, and I empathize with getting long winded responses. Especially when they involve excruciating personal details that no one wants to hear.

But why did people start asking how other people are expecting them to say "Swell!" all the time, and then getting upset when the person actually answers?

Registered
    Apr 2007

Annoying Do-Gooders

We have a self proclaimed "power Couple" in town. Who know everything about anything and will tell you in great detail a laundry list of "contacts" even though neither of them get much accomplished.
    And 1/2 of the PC is the town planner.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My male counterparts that leave "floaters" in the toiler. Nuff' said.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

from Corp HQ

--Someone I work with remotely continually sends nasty-grams, and for a while was BCC'ing my pointy-haired boss. After his "reply alls" crossed with mine, I pointed out to her that if she'd put him in the CC: line, he'd see my response (which invariably answers the question).

--Same person ("Bella") uses the day care provider method of explaining why she needs something. "This will delay our construction and I know that Barbie wants to get started ASAP." Well, yeah, duh.

--Bella also does not read a reply, nor all the messages on a topic, prior to sending one of these nastygrams cc'ing PHB. So she is always asking for a document that I sent her the previous day/hour.

When I was a consultant, this sort of behavior led to being "thrown under the bus." It appears that Bella either has it in for me, or is determined to prove that I am not worthy of this position.

Oh, and the rules keep changing, too. "You're supposed to send this document while standing on your head with the blinds open." Never mind that previously she'd either not provided any direction on when/how to send any documents, or she'd stated "send them sitting down facing away from the window."

I hate e-mail games.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. What drives you crazy on vacation?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 09 Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
  3. How much GIS work do you do on a daily basis?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 PM
  4. Daily work life of an engineer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Jun 2003, 2:37 PM