Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking standards for colleges

Registered
    Dec 2006

Parking standards for colleges

On an urban college campus that has bus service, how many parking spaces are required by your jurisdicion? (e.g. my jurisdiction requires 1 per student)

Thank you.

Registered
    Dec 2006

and...

any opinions or information that indicate what kind of parking is adequate vs excessive.

Thank you!

Seems your number could easily be lowered by restricting who has cars on campus for residents. Many schools don't allow freshmen to have vehicles, this alone would significantly reduce your parking demand near dormitories. How is your campus laid out, are there shared uses for the parking (are the dorms adjacent or connected to the atheltic complex? are they adjacent to the classroom buildings?

Where exactly "on campus" are you referring to? Near the dorms? near the athletic complex? near the actual classroom buildings? I think each requires a different parking demand. The classroom buildings MAY need to accomodate off-campus students and faculty and staff. The atheletic complex would depend upon seating and # of amenities provided (i.e. basketball courts, fitness centers, swimming pools, bleacher size, etc.)
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    May 2003
    You also have to consider whether the college offers satellite lots with bus service. The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has many satellite lots that have frequent yellow bus service. Since the College is constrained land-wise, this has been an integral part of the parking situation on their campus.

ps- This university is approximately 30,000 students and faculty.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think our parking ordinance requires 20 spaces per class room. We'd break out the other uses such as admin offices and calculate those separately. Public transit is nearly non-existent in this county.

Not that they would ever build another college in this county.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parking Compact car parking standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 3:54 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 6:50 AM
  3. Parking Restaurant parking standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 12:41 PM