Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bowl Games Cheapened

Registered
    Feb 2004

Bowl Games Cheapened

It used to be bowl games denoted true championship status and any team that won one earned laurels of honor which would be remembered for years. There was: the Rose bowl, the Orange bowl, and the Sugar bowl (perhaps the Cotton Bowl should be included too), and while there may have been a few other minor bowls in existence it was always well understood they denoted a second-tier achievement. The recent explosion of post-season bowl games (in conjunction with the BCS), however, has rendered the whole notion of post-season glory meaningless. Does your team announce with pride that it won the “Chick-fil-A bowl” in 2007?

Here’s a sampling of some of the post season bowl games that are out there:
    Liberty Bowl
    Capitol One Bowl
    Outback Bowl
    Holiday Bowl
    Motor City Bowl
    Humanitarian Bowl
    Chick-Fil-A Bowl
    Meineke Car Care Bowl
    GMAC Bowl
    New Mexico Bowl
    Papajohns.com Bowl
    Alamo Bowl
    ConAgra Foods Hawaii Bowl
    Insight Bowl
    Emerald Bowl….

You get the idea. Some of these bowls sound more like Nobel prize contests than football games – the Humanitarian Bowl?..... gosh, I hope nobody got hurt. The Insight Bowl?.... Which debate team won? Papajohns.com Bowl? Corporate sponsorship descends to a new low – not only is the bowl named after a company but even has the audacity (honesty?) to name it after their website! I mean, C’mon - why don’t they just name the bowl after their customer phone orders number?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2006
    There has always been second tier bowl games. The Holiday Bowl, Peach Bowl (now the Chick-fil-A Bowl), Liberty Bowl were all games teams were proud to attend. The intent of the bowls has never been just the best, top tier play. I am all for bowl games (although a playoff with the bowls included would be ideal.)

I do agree that the corporate sponsorship has cheapened some of the games, with Chick-fil-A bowl being a great example. My alma mater went to the Peach Bowl many years ago and when I was a child that was something we were proud to say we one. I am not sure the pride we would have if we won the 1970 Motgomery Wards Bowl or Woolworths bowl. If a company wants to sponsor a game like Tostitos with the Fiesta Bowl or FedEx with the Orange Bowl I have problem with that but to drop the name of the game does make it sound less impressive and less distinct.

FYI- Insight is a computer company so the Insight Bowl is no different than the Capital One or Outback Bowl.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    FYI- Insight is a computer company so the Insight Bowl is no different than the Capital One or Outback Bowl.
    Wait...you mean the Outback Bowl isn't between the two best Aussie schools playing American Football?

The Insight Bowl used to be the Insight.com Bowl until this year, I believe. At least they dropped the .com

Registered
    Aug 2005
    There has always been second tier bowl games. The Holiday Bowl, Peach Bowl (now the Chick-fil-A Bowl), Liberty Bowl were all games teams were proud to attend. The intent of the bowls has never been just the best, top tier play. I am all for bowl games (although a playoff with the bowls included would be ideal.)
    I like the idea of the second tier bowl games, but there are just way too many of them now (a 6-6 team has no business in a bowl game)...I'd love to see the number of games cut back to 20 or so (start by eliminating the newest games first).

The Capital One Bowl, I think, used to be the Florida Citrus Bowl, which in turn was orignally the Tangerine Bowl...that one's been around for awhile...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Wait...you mean the Outback Bowl isn't between the two best Aussie schools playing American Football?

The Insight Bowl used to be the Insight.com Bowl until this year, I believe. At least they dropped the .com
    The Insight Bowl was the Copper Bowl. The Compnay and the Bowl dropped the .com a few years back.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The Insight Bowl was the Copper Bowl.
    That's right! I had forgotten all about that...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Were all of the original bowls at one time sponsored by agricultural interests, such as: Peach Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Cotton Bowl, CopperBowl, Rose Bowl? Is this why they were termed such?

Now we have the Outback Bowl and the Papajohn's.com Bowl. Is this situation somehow reflective of our eating habits
    Is this post stupid enough to make your head hurt?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    It's always been about Bowling for Dollars. But hey, why waste your advertising $$$$ on mere commercials when you can get all that and more by a sponsorship AND get other less well-endowed (intentional double entendre) sponsors to buy air time during your event?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think the Corporate sponsorship more than anythign else has cheapened them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 2008 Super Bowl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 05 Feb 2008, 3:07 PM
  2. College Bowl Pick'em
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 08 Jan 2008, 11:49 AM
  3. Super Bowl
    Friday Afternoon Club