Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definition of gross floor area/sales area

Registered
    Jan 2007

Definition of gross floor area/sales area

I am looking at the parking requirements for retail uses in a zoning ordinance which refers to "gross floor area" and "sales area" but does not define either of those terms. Can anyone steer me toward a standard or typical definition of either of those terms?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, if it's the parking requirements for your location, then perhaps NHPlanner can help.

In my municipality, we only use gross floor area and that is the total floor area of the building. It can be rather onerous at times, but it does account for future building alterations that could pack in more people.

Our definition is: The sum of the gross horizontal areas of the several floors of the building, or portion thereof, devoted to such use, measured from the exterior faces of the exterior walls or from the center line of walls separating two buildings.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Not sure how they do it in Concord (live there, but work further to the south).

In our ordinance in Londonderry, parking for retail is 1 space per 200 sq ft of GFA. Likewise, there is no definition of GFA in our ordinance.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We've got an ordinance provision that allows us to exclude areas used solely for storage from GFA. We define neither, so I say that if the public generally is allowed there, it's what you would call sales area, I think. If the public generally is not allowed there, it's storage area. I think a common sense approach would be the best, unless your ordinance provides otherwise.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. If anyone else has thoughts on this subject, please continue to post them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All gross floor area with no subtractions for storage areas, bathrooms or anything else.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ground Floor Area
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Oct 2005, 10:54 AM
  3. Floor area ratio questions
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Sep 2000, 9:09 PM