Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Retail locations near highways

Registered
    Apr 2005

Retail locations near highways

can anybody tell me what the formal term is (if one exists) for customers that shop at retail located near a highway off-ramp? I'm talking about a store's customer base, and trying to express that 20% of its customers reach the store via the nearby highway.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    At first, I thought you were refering to pass-by trips. These are trips that are attracted from traffic passing by on an adjacent road. Thus they aren't new trips coming to the site specifically because of it being there.

I think how you're expressing things though is fine -- I haven't encountered a clever term for what you're describing -- if 20% of the customer base arrives via the highway, then I'd be fine with just saying it that way.

The use of the highway makes it sound like these customers may be coming from some distance away; it may be worth exploring this in more detail.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Well, if the customers are travelling from a long distance away to shop (i.e., because the store offers something unique not found locally), the term I've heard used for the retailer is destination retail... but I don't know how you'd describe the customers.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Well, if the customers are travelling from a long distance away to shop (i.e., because the store offers something unique not found locally), the term I've heard used for the retailer is destination retail... but I don't know how you'd describe the customers.
    Regional customers/shoppers?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've heard the land use described as Highway Service Retail, but I don't think I've ever heard much about the terminology for those who shop there.

I don't think thaat term would apply for lets say an outlet mall or an ikea that locates near one of these intersections for the highway exposure.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

You could try "interchange retail"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Loulou View post
    can anybody tell me what the formal term is (if one exists) for customers that shop at retail located near a highway off-ramp? I'm talking about a store's customer base, and trying to express that 20% of its customers reach the store via the nearby highway.
    Cracker Barrel uses the terms "residents" and "travelers" to distinguish between customers that live in the area, and those that are just passing through. Seriously. I don't think they distinguish between locals that travel to the restaurant on surface streets and locals that travel on a highway to reach it.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I agree with DPP that it is not vital to come up with a term. In fact, a term could provide some confusion.
    Fighting congestion by widening roads is like fighting obesity by buying larger clothes.

Registered
    May 2005
    “Average shoppers”.

Not to point out the obvious, but highways and retail go together. From the trading post of Jerusalem of past, to online Internet shopping of today. If there’s a highway, there’s goods to be bought.

Bill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Locations of planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Sep 2010, 10:24 AM
  2. bad business locations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 3:16 PM
  3. Low Tax Locations