Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking lifts/elevators

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Parking lifts/elevators

The city I work for is considering allowing parking lifts/elevators in the downtown area to help make development more feasible. I've seen them on the websites of the company's that make them. But I was wondering if any of you have worked on a project that uses these and if you have photos. I'd appreciate it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    There's a slightly infamous one in Hoboken, New Jersey...(albeit only because of a contract dispute)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71554-0.html

One that gets all the press isn't really a parking garage; it's a Volkswagen storage facility in Wolfsburg, Germany

http://www.thecoolhunter.net/design/...ARKING-GARAGE/

I think these are a very good idea if they reduce the amount of space required to park vehicles. As long as they're reliable, I'd like to see more of them. I hope your project turns out well.

On a related topic, does anyone have experience with using turntables and/or elevators to move garbage trucks and delivery trucks within the tight confines of an underground parking area?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    In our state there is a city with three notoriously empty parking garages, because ot the length of time you wait to get your car down.

There is also maintenance down time, unforseen breakdowns, attendant costs, etc.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Saving and repurposing grain elevators
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Dec 2010, 12:56 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 10:43 AM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 21 Aug 2006, 2:35 AM
  4. Reuse of grain elevators for ethanol plants
    Economic and Community Development