Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you “On the Grid”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Me too...glad I'm not the only one. A friend and I were discussing how we ever used to live before we got to this point and we both shook our heads remembering what it was like.
    Yesterday our power went out at City Hall, and I sat here thinking to myself, "Now what am I supposed to do?". Everything involved a computer. So, I caught up on reading.... It is very scary how dependent we have become on these things.

When I google my married name, I get two hits that are actually me, both work related. There are a few others, that aren't me. Surprisingly, when I google my maiden name, which is a lot more unique, there is nothing there, but a lot of other people with the same name.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have a cell phone - and a grand total of five people know its number. However, my new employer is threatening to get me a Blackberry, so I'm apparently about to become a lot more accessable...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Mobile phone (with includied mp3); xm radio for the commute and an email account for work. Digital camera and debit card, but otherwise I've tried to stay onthe edge of the grid. No CRACKBERRY ever. I've seen too many people 'quick drawing' their little piece of connectivity everytime it vibrates and I don't need that accessible.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    I lived for a year and a half in Uganda in 1992-94 and was struck by how many people I met who were, in M'skis' definition, "off-the-grid." No id, no phone, no electricity. In many areas, people move fairly freely across national boundaries and I met a few who had simply moved from then-Zaire to Uganda by trekking through the mountains. No cutoms officer, no drug sniffin dogs.

It struck me at the time how unbelievably difficult this would be in the US. From the birth certificate to drivers license, passports, phones, billing addresses, etc. its almost impossible to "not exist." Interestingly, I ended up in New Mexico where many people do seem to come who are trying to disappear. Next to Alaska, we probably have some of the highest incidences of criminals hiding in our midst...

I'm not saying keepiong tabs on peolpe is a bad thing, per se (one might argue that to a certain extent it keeps us honest), but it is very different from the bulk of human history and even the current reality in much of the world. At the same time, in these other parts of the world, many people tend to live in more stable (ie less mobile) environments and are connected to large extended social networks. Trying to escape a debt or "disappear" can be awfully difficult in these places as well, even though the method of tracking people is less formal.

That being said, I have a cell phone (the absolute cheapest one available) and a laptop and that is about as "connected" as I am. No cable, no gps unit. Still, I really really want an iphone. Go figure...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Have a basic cell phone but with a plan that allows unlimited calls from my home base (five state area) so that I can call friends and relatives with no extra charge during evening and weekend hours. After frequent moves, the cell phone number and area code has been constant so my friends and relatives can always contact me. The cell phone is turned off when in meetings or driving.
    Mrs Katt bought me a PDA to match hers. At first I was resistant but now rely on it extensively.
    Have a desktop computer and a lap top for trips.
    So I yes I am on the grid

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I have a cell phone - and a grand total of five people know its number. However, my new employer is threatening to get me a Blackberry, so I'm apparently about to become a lot more accessable...
    They carried out their threat - I now have a Blackberry. May God have mercy on my soul.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    My email is down right now, and it's torturing me, so I really am on the grid. Moreover, I don't know what I'd do without my cell phone. My life is all over the city since I don't work a regular schedule, and I really would be unreachable without it.

One thing I love about a cell phone (and makes me feel I can't live without it) is how much it helps when making various rendevous (sp?). If I get an address wrong, or I'm running late, I can just phone my friend, rather than miss someone entirely.

I also have become a fan of text messages (phone-based email would do the same thing) and I almost want a pda/phone thing. Email, phone, and calendar on a handheld device? Sounds good to me!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I have a cell phone, a few email accounts, and a landline. What pisses me off is when I'm told to give the boss my private cell number. heck, get me a county phone and I'll give you the number. Not one I'm paying for.

I consider myself reasonably private, I don't answer the phone during dinner or when I don't want to be disturbed, after all, I'm paying for it. NO Blackberry for me.
    I wouldn't have given up the number...

I have a city cell, and I don't care who says what, if you can call me about a project while I'm vacationing in Hawai'i, I can use it for occassional personal use.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    For those of us who are control freaks, being connected allows us to do many things.

In business, I can get away and let my employees run things 95% of the time because most issues can be solved with a phone call to my cell. this is a GOOD THING!

Second, I am NOT misbehaving, so there is no reason to hide! (Now I sound all anti-civil rights and s#%t!)

Third, being wired means I can get to people who might like to know about services provided, thus greasing the wheels of our economy! (Ha ha ha, now I sound all pro-consumerism and c^&p!)

I will take being on the grid!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2005
    I am very much on the grid.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2013, 4:53 PM
  2. Life way off the grid.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 21 Sep 2012, 5:07 PM
  3. Working toward a grid
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5