Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Request for adaptive reuse examples

Request for adaptive reuse examples

I work as an intern for the City of South Milwaukee. Currently, we are investigating possibilities for adaptive reuse of a historic building, and coming up against a wall. Would hate to see it demolished. If anyone knows of any restorations of similar building type, that would be greatly appreciated! The site is 1.46 acres, building depth 515.14', current light/industrial, one story, c.1915

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jolinger View post
    I work as an intern for the City of South Milwaukee. Currently, we are investigating possibilities for adaptive reuse of a historic building,

Rookie!

Adaptive reuse is a redundant statement, its not used among planners (at least around here).

In addition you did not give much information about the property. What was it used for in the past? How many square feet? Materials? In addition, what is needed in the immediate area? For example, if this is an area that was once all larger industrial buildings that have been converted to lofts, there may be a need for a Market.

Look at land use and demographics. Those are your key.

I would suggest going to the National Trust for Historic Preservation website, for information about this. http://www.nationaltrust.org/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Rookie!

Adaptive reuse is a redundant statement, its not used among planners (at least around here).
    Guilty as charged - I say adaptive reuse......

As DP posted, give us some more information - what type of land use is surrounding the building? Is there existing parking, or no?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Guilty as charged - I say adaptive reuse......

As DP posted, give us some more information - what type of land use is surrounding the building? Is there existing parking, or no?
    Funny it was a certain EMU prof that ripped me a new one for using it in grad school....
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Ditto the consensus - we want details! Really, though, there are countless examples around the country, but to find one closest to your needs and well-suited to the particulars of the building, you will need to provide some more info.

Generally, I would say your otpions range from a non-profit or cultural institution format (a museum, art space, etc.) - which would most likely involve purchase and improvements by a municipality - to a for-profit venture such as housing, retail, or a combo of the two. A lot of this really depends on the surrounding area - who lives there, what needs are currently unmet (housing demand, community space, etc.).

Look forward to hearing more.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Adaptive reuse ordinances?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 May 2010, 3:34 AM
  2. Adaptive reuse of firehouses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 20 Sep 2007, 3:35 PM