Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historic preservation

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Historic preservation

In many cities in the East Coat and Midwest a City appointed board will regulate changes within the historic districts. But do these boards resist better building materials that look and feel no different than the original? Many places will not permit home owners or contractors from using anything not constructed out of the same material as originally used.

Are there guidelines at state or federal levels that would allow people to use improved materials?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Good question, Mskis! My Board has accepted some materials and rejected (for the time being) others. Cementitious siding (while not exactly new -- it traces its roots to asbestos siding) has been accpeted in lieu of wood clapboard siding. Other materials, because of their newness mostly, have not yet been accepted because, frankly, the Board doesn't know what long-term impacts there may be.

Here's a great link on the topic from the National Park Service.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/tps/briefs/brief16.htm
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

The National Trust for Historic Preservation provides guidelines. I have used this in the past. Including for Historic Preservation Commissions in different cities and for Historic Preservation Districts on the National Register

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Just my 2 cents worth:

I think it come down to the philosophy of the community. My community's HPC has been reviewing replacement materials on a case-by-case basis. No to vinyl siding. Yes to replacing wood windows with metal clad or with a wood composite from Renewal-Anderson if they are the same functioning style. Wood shingle roofs can be replaced with composite asphalt shingles. They really try to consider costs and appearance and would rather have an historic building properly maintained than let it be neglected and further deteriorate.

Another Colorado community I know of has been less willing to allow these types of changes. This city forbid the replacement of wood double-hung window with new modern versions. The owner replaced them anyway citing energy conservation (which is a very big issue with this particular community) and the city gave them a fine and demanded that the old windows be reinstalled. It made front page in the local newspapers and eventually a local newspaper columnist who was so upset about the city that he picked up the old windows and took them to the dump.

All the bad press about it and the damage it gave the city was not worth the windows. The new window did not change the appearance of the home. People already think more than twice about designating their home or buying a home that is designated. When local boards are very inflexable I think they hurt preservation in the long run.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 9:57 AM
  2. MS historic preservation?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:41 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Historic Preservation, anyone?
    Introduce Yourself