Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Green Bay, WI downtown mall redevelopment progress

Registered
    Mar 2004

Green Bay, WI downtown mall redevelopment progress

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...701160450/1978

The city is soliciting proposals from developers for the vacant former Port Plaza Mall (discussed in a prior thread), opened in 1977 and closed about a years ago, and a full expectation is that at least part of the area's street grid will be restored. One thing that the article mentions is that the city's expectation is that the parking ramps will be retained in any proposal, but they do sit on the RsOW of some of the former streets with entranceways that feed directly into them. A decent proposal, IMHO, would include building new parking facilities and removing the old ramps to restore the streets.

This will be interesting to follow as things evolve.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I've been in that mall. It felt like being in a smooth cave.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I worked for GB from 84-88. I was very surprised to hear of the mall's decline. Yes it was a traditional mall, but it is was downtown. I'll be interested in what happens.

Before the City let on what they planned (because they couldn't ...lawsuit), I went ahead and came up with some wild ideas for the downtown mall site.

I ended up creating this web site which to my surprise actually got some publicity back about a year ago. Sure, everyone wrote it off as totally crazy, but, hey, it was fun to dream.

Have you seen my site before? If not, check it out at the link below. Thoughts? I realized while trying to design this that I suck at architecture/design, but I think the concepts are actually pretty sound.

http://home.new.rr.com/visualizeit/downtown_GB.html

One of these days I'm going to pull the plug on it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jul 2007, 4:07 PM
  2. Fractional ownership and downtown redevelopment
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 7:55 PM
  3. SLC Downtown reDevelopment
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Nov 2004, 4:19 PM