Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New car

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

New car

finally bit the bullet and bought a new car. I wanted to get rid of my SUV, before I hated it. I got a Subaru outback wagon... I think I will miss my 4Runner a bit... but getting getting better gas mileage will be good.

I just waited out my dealer...and they gave finally gave me book value for my trade-in. It took them about a week to go up 2k from their initial offer. This is with the price of the new car below invoice. I highly recommend using prepricing programs, such as BJs or carsdirect. The local dealer matched it.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats on membership into the Subaru Nation, there are quite a few of us here and we cant seem to get over our Subies.

My dogs LOVE the Forester as its not so high for them to jump up into now that they are getting older.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I miss my Outback wagon (it met an untimely demise last February), but love my new (used) Outback sedan.

For real fun this winter, throw a full set of snow tires on it. You'll pretty much be able to drive through anything Nature throws at ya.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I haven't had a car payment in nearly 4 years. I drive my car once a week and out of town three times a month. I use my van like it's a truck. The backseats are removed and I haul stuff in it (firewood, camping gear, furniture, recycling, landfill fodder, etc...) If I baby the beast, I'll get several more years out of it. When my van dies, I'll probably buy another used van with low milage.

Anyone else use a van like a truck?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    I haven't had a car payment in nearly 4 years. I drive my car once a week and out of town three times a month. I use my van like it's a truck. The backseats are removed and I haul stuff in it (firewood, camping gear, furniture, recycling, landfill fodder, etc...) If I baby the beast, I'll get several more years out of it. When my van dies, I'll probably buy another used van with low milage.

I use my Ford Focus hatchback like a truck, does that count? I think I have the seats folded down more often than they are up. I've hauled lumber, recycling, appliances, etc.

Old Van with no rear seats = Shaggin' Wagon

I thought about buying a Subaru, but I really have no need for all-wheel drive down here.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Absolutely. A van is much more versatile than an SUV, and cheaper, more comfortable, and gets better gas mileage. Just not as sexy, at least that what the advertising says. . .

I had a Subie in the 1980's. Had some problems . . . .

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome to Subaru land yes -

we have a 1992 Subaru Impreza sedan that we are sick of driving but we can't kill it so it won't get replaced

we also have a 2004 Subaru Outback wagon that's just a baby

and my husband had a mid-life crisis last summer and got a 1985 Mercedes Sedan can't remember the model - it burns diesel and he is converting it to veggie oil - we just put it away for the winter - it's never seen a winter which is why it's in fabulous shape - I figured hey a 22 yo car is better than a 22 yo...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My ex got our 1998 outback in the settlement. I got the 1996 land rover. Guess who still has a running car? You got ... the ex.

Wise choice.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Congrats. Enjoy it.

My Mom had a Subaru Brat. Does anyone remember them from the 1980s? The poor thing couldn't go up a moderately inclined hill unless it went reverse up the hill.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    What kind of van are you using?

We have an '84 Vanagon with a transplanted '94 Jetta 2.0l engine in it. It really moves now, though its a bit loud on the highway (and no air which, here in New Mexico, can make a big difference...). Its great for camping and the engine has great torque, so it really loves the mountain roads.

We use it for camping, hauling, etc. The middle bench seat comes out and the back folds down, so you can fit a lot of junk in there. I have hauled firewood, straw bales, lots of tools, lumber, etc. Camping-wise, we are able to fit 2 adults, 2 kids, and two dogs, with all gear, food etc. and still fit three extra guests.

Its getting old, though. Even with the newer engine, other stuff is failing and its hard to justified the continued expense. We are thinking before next summer we will go down to a single vehicle, but its hard to match the vanagon in terms of practical design and room (without being a gas guzzling SUV or paying out the nose for a newer model). We are looking at some sort of Volvo wagon - a 240 with low mileage, if we can find one, or maybe a 960. Anyone have experience with the 960 or v70 wagons (2000 or earlier)? My inclination is to stay away from the AWD and turbo models, but I would like some feedback from people with first-hand experience.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    as you may have noticed from my many previous posts regarding cars, i'm contemplating getting a new-to-me vehicle. i'm having difficulty finding one that meets my needs and budget.

one that almost fits is a subaru forrester. my concern is fuel efficency. while it isn't the worst, it isn't the best. i've been spoiled by the BF's Civic and it's wonderful mpg.

those of you who own Subarus, do you feel the other benefits of the car are worth the less than Civic mpg?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had a Subaru, but never got "Subaru Nation" and thus traded up for a truck (which then got traded for a Honda Pilot that my wife drives).

For me, MPG is no longer a concern as I walk to work most days. Since our Saturn is guzzling black oil (after only 1000 miles since I changed the oil) my mind's eye is beginning to think of cars as well.

This time, I want to go fast! Too many times I have bought a car because it was right (right safety, right MPG)... or it was a good deal. This time I will get what I want... and you should too Dandy.

Does anyone aspire to a Civic or a Forester?

I will hope to hunt down a good deal and one day join BMW nation.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

This time, I want to go fast! Too many times I have bought a car because it was right (right safety, right MPG)... or it was a good deal. This time I will get what I want... and you should too Dandy.

Does anyone aspire to a Civic or a Forester?

:
    Civic SI my friend.. good mpg and a peppy little car off the line. I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R. Nice little "rice rocket" and is great for quick acceleration, great handling, good MPG on the highway and lots of pep. Bought it new when i was single and fresh out of college and i love the car, although with a small toddler, not the family friendliest car, it still gets us where we need to go.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Civic SI my friend.. good mpg and a peppy little car off the line. I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R. Nice little "rice rocket" and is great for quick acceleration, great handling, good MPG on the highway and lots of pep. Bought it new when i was single and fresh out of college and i love the car, although with a small toddler, not the family friendliest car, it still gets us where we need to go.
    Does that come in a standard tranny? I will not abide another automatic.

If wifey deems the Pilot to be the Kid Hauler, then I may try for a V6 Accord coupe.

I really like the Saab 9-3 Aero, but GM did a number on Saab since I last owned one and I do not want to put my Saab mechanic's kids through college.

Still, my neighbor got a 98 BMW M3, 46,000 miles for $12k. I don't get neighbor-envy ever, but I cannot help to drool.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    This time I will get what I want... and you should too Dandy.
    I want a car I can afford!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Does that come in a standard tranny? I will not abide another automatic.

If wifey deems the Pilot to be the Kid Hauler, then I may try for a V6 Accord coupe.

I really like the Saab 9-3 Aero, but GM did a number on Saab since I last owned one and I do not want to put my Saab mechanic's kids through college.

Still, my neighbor got a 98 BMW M3, 46,000 miles for $12k. I don't get neighbor-envy ever, but I cannot help to drool.
    The Civic SI come only in 6 speed standard tranny with a 197-hp to blast.

The V6 Accord Coup is not worth the extra 5K imo. My dad just bought a 09 Accord EX loaded for under 22K. It's acceleration is great and very roomy card.

My wife and I have been eyeing a Volvo S-40. Not as sporty as the C-40, but overall good fit for the both of us. I found a used S-40 fully loaded, under 20K miles 2006 model for under 16K so there is a lot of choices out there in this car market.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Got a 100K warrantee so no worries about that. Plus, the back seat folds almost flat so you have a lot of hauling space for a very small car.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Absolutely. A van is much more versatile than an SUV, and cheaper, more comfortable, and gets better gas mileage. Just not as sexy, at least that what the advertising says. . .

I had a Subie in the 1980's. Had some problems . . . .
    Sube's are now made in the USA. Quality has improved.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Got a 100K warrantee so no worries about that. Plus, the back seat folds almost flat so you have a lot of hauling space for a very small car.
    Is that 100k warrantee transferable to a new owner? If so, Saab may be back on my list...

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Sube's are now made in the USA. Quality has improved.
    Except the Foresters are still made in Osaka, Japan (at least the 2005 model I had was).

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I drive the ultimate republican-mobile… a large black 2000 Suburban with the 5.7L and four wheel drive! Black tinted windows, running boards, stock rims, and grey leather interior. I love it. Big enough to do anything, I can fit the entire family and then some in side, nice to travel with and I still get about 20 miles to the gallon on the freeway. I can get most things in the back, but when it’s a messy job I lay down a massive tarp inside or borrow a trailer from the FIL.

The wife drives it most of the time during the week, and I have the impala for when I am running out to meet with a client. (Impala gets 30 MPG on the road and feels like a race car compared to the Suburban)

I have already decided that when we get rid of the suburban, it will be to get a hybrid suburban. They already have the Tahoe, so it is only a matter of time. The wife wants to get rid of the Impala and get a G6… but the Impala is a rebuilder that is quickly approaching 175,000 miles… and is almost a decade old… no resale value there. So I am going to run it until the wheels fall off, put them back on, and keep going.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I have already decided that when we get rid of the suburban, it will be to get a hybrid suburban. They already have the Tahoe, so it is only a matter of time. The wife wants to get rid of the Impala and get a G6… but the Impala is a rebuilder that is quickly approaching 175,000 miles… and is almost a decade old… no resale value there. So I am going to run it until the wheels fall off, put them back on, and keep going.
    That's the Jeep Cherokee that I have now. Until it can no longer be resurrected it will be driven. I have to get the brakes done on it this month
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

as far as MPG is concerned

Mrs. P has a '97 Accord with 4 speed manual tranny. Gets 32 mpg on the highway an 27 in the city. It now has 130,000 and doing fine.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    as you may have noticed from my many previous posts regarding cars, i'm contemplating getting a new-to-me vehicle. i'm having difficulty finding one that meets my needs and budget.

one that almost fits is a subaru forrester. my concern is fuel efficency. while it isn't the worst, it isn't the best. i've been spoiled by the BF's Civic and it's wonderful mpg.

those of you who own Subarus, do you feel the other benefits of the car are worth the less than Civic mpg?
    If you live in snow country like WNY, then you want a Subi Forester! I bought mine new in Feb 08 and just the love it to death, and I was never a big SUV fan. Finally, the snow in the driveway from hell convinced me it was time to get something to serious take on snow.

I own rural property about 35 miles away that I visit on weekends, and I can drive the Subi cross-country when I'm too lazy to unlock the gate at the roadway or if I want to collect wood. I also drive it down to the Cattaraugus Creek in the Village of Gowanda when I collect rocks for my gardens. I haul all kinds of stuff in the back, from my lawn mower and rototiller to campfire wood to rocks to dogs to mulch to shrubs to furniture.

It has NEVER been back to the dealership except for routine maintenance -- not a rattle, not a buzz, not a problem in 18 months. It also gets surprisingly good gas mileage, especially on the highway. Mine, with the standard engine (I think that's the 4 cylinder), gets 24 mpg city and 27 mpg highway. Full time AWD is great -- and it's high enough to clear the snow in the driveway most of the time but a short person like myself (5'3") doesn't have to use a ladder to get in!

Join Subi Nation! You won't be sorry.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Have a eleven year old explorer with over two hundred thousand miles on it. It gets me when I want to go. With the winters in Michigan and a lot of our family still living on farms the four wheel drive comes in handy during snow days on the back roads. I have found after the first hundred thousand miles on it if I drive 60mph on the highway, I get around 29 mpg failry consistently. Of course I do get a lot of the one finger salute and some horn honking when people pass me.
    Even if I was working I wouldnt think of getting rid of it onless something happened in the way of major repairs. Why make payments unless you have to. With our pets, we can pile everyone in the back when we have to and it comes in handy. Or if I am hauling the younger grand children around. they can fit in the back.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Anyone own a Scion?

Specifically a Scion XD.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast