Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Castle, DE (no 56k)

Registered
    Jun 2003

New Castle, DE (no 56k)

New Castle, Delaware, located nearby Wilmington (~10 miles), about half an hour south of Philadelphia -- I visited this little jewel a few months ago repeatedly to find the elements that are missing in most American cities (or perhaps NOT to find the elements that bother me). Here are some of the photos I took - enjoy!

Last edited by bocian; 18 Jan 2007 at 2:08 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks, I'm a sucker for those old Mid-Atlantic towns. They've got some funky roads there.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Nice photos! Parts of Dover, Delaware (the state capital) look similar to this. You can also find some attractive historic buildings in the small community of Smyrna, just over the New Castle County border... if you stick to the older downtown area.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Very nice pictures! As many times as I passed through Delaware, I've never seen this part of New Castle. The wife's best friend used to live on the outskirts of New Castle close to the Christiana Mall and US 40. They now live in Newark near Exit 2 on I-95.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Very nice pictures! As many times as I passed through Delaware, I've never seen this part of New Castle. The wife's best friend used to live on the outskirts of New Castle close to the Christiana Mall and US 40. They now live in Newark near Exit 2 on I-95.
    Thank you -- New Castle is not right by I-95, so most people would not visit it -- there is no 'exit off the highway' in this town - which is perhaps good as it is not overtly touristy. And US 40 on the outskirts is a TOTALLY different world - do stop by next time you're in the area, it's quite a lesson for any sensible planner.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nice town, really nice. "Federal' style brick and shutter buildigns are so right.

I note from the very first pic that once outside the old town it's cul-de-sac subdivision hell like everywhere else?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Nice town, really nice. "Federal' style brick and shutter buildigns are so right.

I note from the very first pic that once outside the old town it's cul-de-sac subdivision hell like everywhere else?
    That was the map's purpose -- yes, it is typical 'planned' prefabricated suburbia ouside the town's limits -- (but note an unintended greenbelt of sorts surrounding the town..), I guess that is to be expected though as Americans are all about housing type and lifestyle 'choices.'

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 1:41 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 17 Dec 2004, 11:12 PM